Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season | Caps vs Bruins | 10/2/15 | Caps Win 2-1 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Im watching the video again and i noticed krug tried to elbow oshie in the head right before the fight

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan chiming in (in peace):

When Oshie broke into the league, he used to dish out hits like the one on McQuaid pretty frequently. He has never been a fighter. I believe him that he had no clue who McQuaid was.

But the last maybe 3 years Oshie has played less and less of that physical game. It probably has a lot to do with coaching and what his responsibilities in Hitchcock's system are, but I can tell you that most Blues fans have been missing that from him. I think the trade shook some cobwebs loose and he's more deliberate about the physical play. If the trade to Washington brings back the old Oshie, you are going to enjoy watching him. (There was a wonderful sequence his rookie year where we played Columbus home/away on back-to-back nights. Oshie came out of the penalty box and leveled Nash and took away the puck. The next night in Columbus, Oshie is bringing the puck up the ice and Nash went after him. The crowd started to cheer in anticipation. Then Oshie threw a reverse shoulder and knocked Nash on his ass, and continued up the ice with the puck. The crowd went, "aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHH...oh".

Good luck this season. Hopefully this proves to be a win-win trade. Copley has had a good camp. Its not clear if he's the #3 or the #4 behind Binnington. Brouwer seems to be a better fit in the Backes line (with Fabbri on the other wing) with less play-making and more brute finishing. If you get the younger more physical Oshie, I think he could be a great tandem on a line with an elite finisher. But where would you find an elite finisher....? :)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Pretty much all of this.

Orlov has guile. Mike Green had it early on but lost it a bit. Used to be Green was the only guy on the team who had the presence of mind and understanding of the defense to fake shots or passes. That dried up a bit later for various reasons.

Last night Orlov made a few plays that got my attention and looked like the Orlov we saw when he first came in. One was a nice stick and body fake of a d-to-d pass at the blueline that opened up space for him do drive along the boards. Most other defensemen on this team would've just panicked and made the pass or dumped the puck.

Please, please stay healthy.

Somewhat off topic: watched a short segment--maybe 10 minutes--of the Wings game last night and sure enough, in that span, Green got himself in a vulnerable position and took a huge hit. Same old same old.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Somewhat off topic: watched a short segment--maybe 10 minutes--of the Wings game last night and sure enough, in that span, Green got himself in a vulnerable position and took a huge hit. Same old same old.

lol of course. He was hurt, what, 5 or 6 times last season? Wonder how long before it happens again, and how many times/games it will be this year.

anti-jinx for Orlov!!!

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He was hurt, what, 5 or 6 times last season? Wonder how long before it happens again, and how many times/games it will be this year.

He already missed 4 preseason games with a groin injury so it isn't like he is off to an auspicious start in Detroit health wise...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Latta definitely looks like he's faster this year which was something last year that I thought he might be too slow to stick.

Orlov still looks a little rusty in the Dzone but the offensive skills and instinct were as I remembered. Fine on the 3rd pairing.

I kinda liked the way Chorney played and what he brings. Currently my vote for the 7th dman.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He already missed 4 preseason games with a groin injury so it isn't like he is off to an auspicious start in Detroit health wise...

i was sorry to see him go when he signed in Detroit, but i must admit, in watching them play, i haven't missed him one bit. sure the PP hasn't been as great as it could, but i attribute that more to missing 19.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Was going to respond with this.

Although credit to Green, he looked bad at times last night against the Leafs but also made some nice offensive plays.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie without his helmet showed his sack taking on someone much bigger than him, knowing who it was or not. I like that he connected on Quaid and knocked his helmet off.

Make him as assistant captain already

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
lol of course. He was hurt, what, 5 or 6 times last season? Wonder how long before it happens again, and how many times/games it will be this year.

anti-jinx for Orlov!!!

you know what, truthfully.. I was thinking Babcock would do a lot for greens game and teach him how to fine tune a lot of those bad aspects in his game, then I remembered Babcock is no longer coaching Detroit.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
you know what, truthfully.. I was thinking Babcock would do a lot for greens game and teach him how to fine tune a lot of those bad aspects in his game, then I remembered Babcock is no longer coaching Detroit.

After he signed in Det, Green was quoted as saying some dumb **** (too lazy to look it up) about being excited to go to a stable team after all the change in DC or something. And I thought, Jeeze, does he not know they have a first-year/rookie head coach?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
After he signed in Det, Green was quoted as saying some dumb **** (too lazy to look it up) about being excited to go to a stable team after all the change in DC or something. And I thought, Jeeze, does he not know they have a first-year/rookie head coach?

:laugh:

I mean by all means he went to a top notch organization, good for him. I don't think the caps will miss him what so ever. I'm extremely excited for our team this year.

grats on m0d by the way :) take it easy on me :handclap:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
:laugh:

I mean by all means he went to a top notch organization, good for him. I don't think the caps will miss him what so ever. I'm extremely excited for our team this year.

grats on m0d by the way :) take it easy on me :handclap:

Totally agree, about Detroit and the Caps.

Thanks. I could ask you the same... ;)

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I'm really excited by what I'm seeing from Oshie and Williams. I don't know if we can really tell how the line chemistry with Ovi will really be though until we see that beautiful missing ingredient: Backstrom. During the PP, I kept thinking of how we were missing Nicky, and thought that a few more times throughout the game. (Gosh, I hope it's only 4-5 games.) Holts continues to own the Bruins (and I have to admit I'm getting joy outta reading the Bruins GDT--so much love for Holtby). I'm leaning more towards Roy over Stephenson agreeing that he should see more AHL time and that Roy just seems more assured out there. I think we would have decimated Boston out there had it not been for Rask--he was amazing.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Blues fan chiming in (in peace):

When Oshie broke into the league, he used to dish out hits like the one on McQuaid pretty frequently. He has never been a fighter. I believe him that he had no clue who McQuaid was.

But the last maybe 3 years Oshie has played less and less of that physical game. It probably has a lot to do with coaching and what his responsibilities in Hitchcock's system are, but I can tell you that most Blues fans have been missing that from him. I think the trade shook some cobwebs loose and he's more deliberate about the physical play. If the trade to Washington brings back the old Oshie, you are going to enjoy watching him. (There was a wonderful sequence his rookie year where we played Columbus home/away on back-to-back nights. Oshie came out of the penalty box and leveled Nash and took away the puck. The next night in Columbus, Oshie is bringing the puck up the ice and Nash went after him. The crowd started to cheer in anticipation. Then Oshie threw a reverse shoulder and knocked Nash on his ass, and continued up the ice with the puck. The crowd went, "aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHH...oh".

Good luck this season. Hopefully this proves to be a win-win trade. Copley has had a good camp. Its not clear if he's the #3 or the #4 behind Binnington. Brouwer seems to be a better fit in the Backes line (with Fabbri on the other wing) with less play-making and more brute finishing. If you get the younger more physical Oshie, I think he could be a great tandem on a line with an elite finisher. But where would you find an elite finisher....? :)

I'm glad Copley and Brouwer are doing well for your team. It seems Oshie has a lot of passion in his game, he likes to be physical. As Williams described him, he's like a pit-bull.

I can assure you he will be as physical as he once was, because Trotz is an old school coach and wants a heavy physical team. Besides, Oshie plays on the same line as the top power forward in the world who throws monstrous hits every game.

What I really want to see from Oshie is how he fits in our PP. If he becomes a big scoring threat from the slot, it opens up some space for Ovi and NB to work their magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad