GDT: Pre-Season #6: Thu, Sept. 26 2019, FLYERS at Rangers, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I've never been an advocate for the kids. Never wanted Konecny to make the team out of junior. Never advocated for Sanheim even when he was in junior (to be fair, I was wrong, he needed more time). Never expected Farabee to make the team, and said I still think he might even though he hasn't been as good as I anticipated. Never said Chris Stewart "stinks." Advocated hard for the Weise and Gordon signings.

The point is NAK also stinks. And Chris Stewart is not only able to give them some much needed size and physicality -- if he's not being lazy (and he'll be cut if he is) -- he's also more likely to give them more goals than NAK in a limited role. In my opinion. Almost certainly in Fletcher and Flahr's opinions, who you can pretend are intellectually beneath you, but they did go to Harvard and Princeton, respectively. They may not be as dumb as you'd like to think. I'm sure you'd beat them in NHL20, though.

Reactions: marcsson68

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Don't bark at me, I am on the Stewy soul train!

I am glad he has great numbers that are 2 years old and older.
He's dangling on the thread of an NHL roster spot, and I've never said otherwise. My disagreement is with people who say it's a "mere fact" he's "blatantly inferior" to Nicolas Aube-Nothing. In my *opinion*, and I won't pretend it's fact when it's not, there are a few people here who vastly overstated NAN's ability as a player compared to Stewart's. NAN isn't a good player, either. Stewart brings things NAN doesn't. Size, physicality, way better hands than some realize or want to acknowledge. It doesn't mean Stewart is anything more than barely in the NHL. But I'm sure people want to cover their eyes from his shootout and penalty shot stats because it doesn't fit their narrative.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Stewart making it will suck hard.

However if they somehow rationalize Myers sitting in favour of some Neanderthal.

Say it isn’t so baby. Don’t do it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
BTW, I do agree that the Meltzer/Cohen tweet indicates Stewart is more likely than not making the team. Not a guarantee, but if I had to make a bet. A week ago I said if I had to bet Stewart was more likely than not to make the team. Met with some derision. EIHL and all that. Derision has declined significantly. Absolutely not guaranteeing he makes the team. But the 51% evaluation was pretty spot-on.

Reactions: marcsson68

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wonder what Stewart gets for a contract. 1.5 million per for 3 years? We have no toughness coming so we need to keep him to make others better. Gotta draft a tough guy soon so we have that replacement in 3 years. Everyone wins.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
According to Meltzer, they are giving bubble guys 1 more game to state their case. Hence Stewart in for Lindblom. Hagg paired with Niskanen. Ghost-Braun pair is not playing so Myers-Morin will be in the lineup as well.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Wonder what Stewart gets for a contract. 1.5 million per for 3 years? We have no toughness coming so we need to keep him to make others better. Gotta draft a tough guy soon so we have that replacement in 3 years. Everyone wins.

I see no toughness next year, or year after. I’d go a 4th to lower the Cap hit. 4 yrs 5 mill I would try and sell him on.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I see no toughness next year, or year after. I’d go a 4th to lower the Cap hit. 4 yrs 5 mill I would try and sell him on.
F5CB614B-8648-455C-870E-E1E6F186B37D.gif

Reactions: Striiker

occultist goat

Mar 16, 2019
stewart does not deserve to make this team period.
stats from 2 years ago can get f***ed.
right in the ass :mad:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Toughness isn’t as valuable in this league anymore unless you’re an outlier; Tom Wilson. Hell, even he’s not as valuable as he can be since he’s one suspension away from missing 20+ games.

Stewart doesn’t have the game speed to keep up in this league. Deploying him for 8:00 TOI a night to throw a hit or get in a fight won’t do much.

While I love big hits, fights, and the general tenacity of the game even 5 years ago, the league likes to follow: teams went full speed after Pittsburgh and teams started to find the heavier guys after the Boston-Blues series. Detroit drafted 3 grittier people in their first 3 picks, the penguins handed out contracts for players who play heavier, Washington picked up people who play the same style, so did TBL. They all may not be correlative to the sentiment, however, it just makes you think why would they do that? Maybe because it worked for those 2 teams right?

The team that sets the trend usually goes the furthest. Philly shouldn’t follow what other teams are doing. They need to find something everyone else isn’t doing and exploit that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hagg in the starting lineup.

Myers not in the starting lineup.

Stewart on the Roster.

We are living in the darkest timeline.

Ghost and Braun are not playing tomorrow night so Myers and Morin will be in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad