GDT: Pre-Season #1: Mon., Sept. 16, 2019: Islanders at FLYERS, 7:00 pm ET

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wait is this true? If so that's awesome.

Yes. It is true. His bio page shows he was born in Southampton, NJ. Though this article is over a year old, it gives an idea of what he brings on the ice:

Kyle Criscuolo called up from Rochester

"I try to use my speed and get in on the forecheck," says Criscuolo. "Create some havoc and cause turnovers. I try to keep it simple and get to the net as much as I can. I use my speed and play 200 feet -- it's sort of the way I want to play."

"I watch his compete level and what he's brought to Rochester," says head coach Phil Housley. "He brings a lot of energy and he uses his speed well. He's an effective player so that's why he's up here."

After graduating from Harvard, Criscuolo signed with the Red Wings as an undrafted free agent. He helped the Grand Rapids Griffins win the Calder Cup in his first full professional season, but he left the Detroit organization this summer to sign a two-year, two-way deal with the Sabres.

"They understood how I play and how I want to play," he says. "They did a good job of knowing what kind of player and person I am, and what I want to bring to the team. I think what they said to me was pretty convincing. They want to put me in spots where they think I can be effective."

====================

Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher is familiar with Criscuolo. When Fletcher was the GM in Minnesota, Criscuolo worked for him as an intern in the Wild’s analytics department.
Coincidentally, both attended Harvard, though many years apart.

When Fletcher showed interest in signing him, Criscuolo didn’t have to think long.

“I’ve always wanted to play for the Flyers,” he said.

South Jersey’s Kyle Criscuolo trying to beat long odds and earn roster spot with Flyers

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

d5b.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am glad that we are moving into the actual preseason camp. I have been working hard in the off season on my complaining and creative gif usage. It was a pretty intensive regimen: 2 hours of vocabulary, 90 minutes of emojis, and a whole lot of quoting and responding. Still some rust to shake off by lamenting poor player usage and overall team execution, but that is what these preseason games are all about. It's like that old adage: nobody fully villifies the team in September.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Excited for this one, got free tickets from work like 5 rows from the ice :cool:. Interested to check out all the changes in the arena and that massive scoreboard.

Reactions: Rebels57

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I care about these games only because I know coaches and GMs care about these games. They use them to judge who is ready, even ignoring the tiny sample size and inconsistent level of unorganized competition. So just for that reason, I want Frost and Farabee to play well because I have no doubt that they’re ready to make the team.

I think it’s a mistake that they put so much weight on these games and it’s not how it should be, but that’s still how it is.

For the first time in a while, i just find myself with little excitement. Even though i should be to see a bunch of our kids in higher level action.

I think the changes in the organization with management have jaded me. I’m just not a believer in this administration and don’t know if i can work myself up to get those goosebumps i used to get every September\October when i feel it’s just going to be more mediocrity

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
For the first time in a while, i just find myself with little excitement. Even though i should be to see a bunch of our kids in higher level action.

I think the changes in the organization with management have jaded me. I’m just not a believer in this administration and don’t know if i can work myself up to get those goosebumps i used to get every September\October when i feel it’s just going to be more mediocrity

That's a weird attitude to start having now considering the team has been mediocre since the last lockout.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Fletcher has been up and down and AV is starting off poorly with his media whining, but I'm still really optimistic because I believe in the players on this team. That's enough to get me excited.

Just remember, even truly terrible coaches and GMs have won cups because they got carried by great players. Our roster is shaping up to be the kind that can do that, so even if Fletcher and AV turn out to be bad, we'd still have a chance.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That's a weird attitude to start having now considering the team has been mediocre since the last lockout.
A number of fans had bought all in with Hextall & his “plan” & feel jilted & bitter about his firing.

Reactions: hatcher

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I wanted to see why someone named Andy Welinski is playing tonight and I noticed where he was born.

It all makes sense now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team was mediocre while cleaning up the previous GMs mess, rebuilding most of the team, and creating the prospect pipeline from scratch? Well that's a shock.

I'm surprised they weren't winning cups during that time. :sarcasm:

There was a clear goal, which was to fix the cap situation and draft a bunch of high-potential players to fix the roster, and that goal was completed. But Hextall f***ed up and deserved to be fired.

Now we've moved on to a completely different objective with a new GM... being hesitant is far from unreasonable until we see the result of his first moves.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Wait.... so you were excited going into last season with Hakstol behind the bench, Elliott and Neuvirth in net, and MacDonald, Hagg, and Weise in the lineup, but you're not excited going into this season?

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Even though Neck situation and NP injury concern me, I'm very optimistic overall.
We have a better coach, our D is stacked, we start the season with a legit NHL duo in net, our forward group's become more deep.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I’m surprised they didn’t bump Voro to the third line with more skilled players to give him a better look.

Kinda seems early in camp like fletcher already knows what he is getting from Voro, and isn’t using camp as a barometer if he is ready for a NHL role.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
These injuries are getting on my f***ing nerves.

First Patrick with his mystery UBI that somehow doesn't prevent him from going full-speed in solo drills.

Now Frost, with a great opportunity starting him in the face, gets a LBI after 3 days of running drills in camp.

Stay healthy you bozos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad