Pre-Game Talk: Pre-Game Tweets, Pens at Preds

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'll believe that Maatta will play with Letang when I see it. Also, I'm thinking this is a hint that Maatta will get sent down to London once Scuderi comes back. The bottom-4 is set, just send Olli back to the OHL and replace him with Scuderi. I wouldn't be happy with that, but that's what I'm expecting.

A D core of:

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Bortuzzo

Really isn't bad. Our D won't be the reason when we lose.

Uh what :laugh:

If anything, this means the team is giving Maatta more responsibility because they like his play AND Byslma finally realized that Niskanen-Letang sucks.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

If anything, this means the team is giving Maatta more responsibility because they like his play AND Byslma finally realized that Niskanen-Letang sucks.

This would be impossible. I've seen Niskanen's corsi numbers and his cup size.

penguins2946*

You're giving Bylsma too much credit. He's too stubborn and prideful to realize when he screwed up. I think he's just letting Niskanen and Bortuzzo play together to get used to each other, because that will be our bottom pair when healthy. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting Maatta to be up much after Scuderi is back.

This would be impossible. I've seen Niskanen's corsi numbers and his cup size.

Rorabaugh tried to use Corsi to say why Niskanen isn't terrible a couple days ago. Not that I disagree with him that much, but I had a good chuckle from that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You're giving Bylsma too much credit. He's too stubborn and prideful to realize when he screwed up. I think he's just letting Niskanen and Bortuzzo play together to get used to each other, because that will be our bottom pair when healthy. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting Maatta to be up much after Scuderi is back.

Rorabaugh tried to use Corsi to say why Niskanen isn't terrible a couple days ago. Not that I disagree with him that much, but I had a good chuckle from that.

I want to be clear: I'm a big believer in advanced metrics, especially in other sports. And while I do believe Corsi is good, and the best metric for hockey, it doesn't tell the entire story and can't always explain what the 4 people on the ice are doing with/for you.

If people recall the "arguments" back in the first 10 games of the year (or until Letang got healthy), my arguments were never "Niskanen is playing bad" but more "Niskanen won't be in this role when we're healthy, and he stinks in the role he'll be in when we are healthy".

I believe that has played out about as I projected.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
anigif_enhanced-buzz-1450-1381851307-18.gif

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I want to be clear: I'm a big believer in advanced metrics, especially in other sports. And while I do believe Corsi is good, and the best metric for hockey, it doesn't tell the entire story and can't always explain the what having a 4 people on the ice with you.

If people recall the "arguments" back in the first 10 games of the year (or until Letang got healthy), my arguments were never "Niskanen is playing bad" but more "Niskanen won't be in this role when we're healthy, and he stinks in the role he'll be in when we are healthy".

I believe that has played out about as I projected.

Absolutely. Niskanen's solid when he's on the right side next to a shutdown D-man. He's terrible next to Letang and generally mediocre as a left defenseman.

And on a team with a myriad of D options, he's quite redundant and expendable for the price tag.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
How Maatta plays with Letang might determine what happens with Nisky this year, its always been Nisky role to move into the top 4 when somebody got injured, if Maatta shows he can do the job Nisky could become expendable.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Don't worry guys, all your teams needs is 1 goal and you all win. We can't score a goal to save our lives.

We have zero even strength goals in the last 3 games with zero lineup changes. I think it will be a battle of ineptitude if those predictors pan out.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I really want to see Martin with someone other than Orpik this year. Anyone. Just so I can see.

chunquido

Apr 2, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The Pens will win tonight 5-1 to give everyone a glimmer of hope. Then on Saturday the Devils will shut them out. This sounds more like the Pens then getting beat by some chump change Nashville team. Demonstrate the ability to score nearly at will, then lose all that ability within 24 hours.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
"Pens at Preds"? OP, it's a home game.

Doesn't matter. Trotz will get every matchup he wants. As much as I hate NBCSN it was nice to hear some real criticism from the broadcasters during the Flyer game. This is a championship caliber team when they play to their strengths, but the reoccurring mistakes need addressed by somebody.

Also, I hate the Maata-Letang pairing. Letang + our other stars are playing too risky at times and it's a terrible example to the young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad