WJC: Pre-Game Talk for Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Come on, you guys are doom and gloom. Looks to me like one of your top junior teams ever. Keep the faith, however I hope Canada can kick your ass from one side of the rink to the other. ;)

:laugh: well what do you expect. If some Swede compliments the team and see them as the main favorite of the 4 teams...people bring down the hammer and talk about cocky Swedes.

Well I'll stick my neck out and say that I would place my bet on Sweden for the gold and it's not a very difficult choice if I must pick one favorite. They've been the best team throughout the tournament up to this point IMO. I also realize there's a sizeable chance that they won't even get an oppurtunity to play for that precious metal. Russia is never an easy opponent.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
They barely squeaked by Switzerland and Russia almost beat them as well. They're a very good team but unbeatable is pushing it.

No team is unbeatable at WJC...especially in the last two rounds. But to make it sound like Sweden was somehow on the ropes in those two games is a joke.

Sher-Wood

May 12, 2003
Sweden
They barely squeaked by Switzerland and Russia almost beat them as well. They're a very good team but unbeatable is pushing it.
Yes it is way pushing it. Sweden has looked very good this far but that means nothing now. It's a one game semifinal and if we gonna beat team Russia we must bring our A-game or we lose.

Hoping for a gold medal game between Sweden and Canada but neither team is there just yet.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Maybe the injury of Gustaf Possler costs Sweden the final. As stacked as the team is one quality scorer more would not hurt Sweden's chances. It will be that close came that every help available should be welcomed. If Sweden loses it will be a loss by one "Gustaf Possler".

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The only way I see Sweden losing, is by losing to themselves. If they lay back and expect an easy way to the gold medal then they will lose. But so far it looks like Sweden is giving it all they got and that is why they are winning by alot of goals. They haven't faced Canada since the prelims, now Canada is alot more focused. Russia is coming off a big win from USA and you can bet they have alot of confidence in themselves to knock off the favourite.

I am assuming Canada beats Finland but I know it will be a good game, again every team needs to give it all they got in the medal rounds or they will lose. That is what Canada has to do to win.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If Canada doesn't win tomorrow, I truly hope the final is Sweden/Finland. Since I started lurking on HF (a few years before i bothered to join) I've enjoyed the way the Swedish and Finnish posters troll each other even more than the rest of the trolling on these boards (which I always enjoy reading!).

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
No team is unbeatable at WJC...especially in the last two rounds. But to make it sound like Sweden was somehow on the ropes in those two games is a joke.
The Switzerland game was 3-3 early and the 3rd and 4-3 until less than 3 minutes left in the game when it was put away. Not quite "on the ropes" but definitely a tight game. The Finland game was the same, a 1 goal game for a solid chunk of the third before the Swedes put it away. The Russian game was a 1 goal game for the final 12 minutes. I'm in no means trying to disrespect the Swedes as they're a very good team and clearly know how to win, but none of those wins are big statements. Sweden is being called dominant for a string of 1 and 2 goal victories.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I am rooting for Russia (I believe Canada will have a better chance beating Russia) and Canada.

I am looking forward to tomorrow. Should be great!

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
If I'm Sweden, there's one Russian player that scares the crap out of me:

ib1xxt3vHzOLgv.gif

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sweden is immensely talented but are not a shoe in to defeat Russia.
Finland will not beat Canada. That is all.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Canada should blow and wipe Finland out of the water - but there is only this one big "BUT" -namely Finland is potentially tactically light years ahead of Canada what comes to playing on international ice. They have the know how: They know how to execute Finnish Hockey Federation's (outdated?) official doctrine called "Our game". So, puck control will be the key for Finland's hopes to shake mighty Canada. That means "delayed transitions", "well-organized front array attacks", "point-blank support"... I just don't know if Finland has played "Our game" at the WJC (have they?) - or if Curry Stone even considers it an option since it is long overdue, obsolete, expired, outdated in international hockey (not really, but for the sake of argument). YET that is the case only in tactically mature and superior senior hockey due to the counter-medicines deployed successfully against "Our game". That is NOT the case in juniors; the slogan "speed kills" summarizes in a nutshell deprived tactical overview of the WJC - and North American junior hockey ideology especially. Thus, Finland should deploy "Our Game" and by doing that confuse Canada's game.

It's a hideous tactic or more generally mind-set since at best (or worst) it kills the intensity of the game, extinguishes emotion, slows down tempo rendering the sport tedious, boring - almost academic looking deliberate mental exercise. -So, if Curry Stone really wants to outcoach his North American colleague and keep winning hopes alive he should strike deep in the heart of Canadian hockey and kill the up-tempo game by "Our Game".

But if Finland hasn't executed that kind of game plan in Malmo and if it's not been planted deep in the minds of the players then it's most likely too late to pray for any change in the way the team plays.

Last edited:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
This is probably the one year in the past ten where I have felt Canada has the least chance to medal, let alone win gold.

I think Finland will beat us. I just have a feeling. So with my track record, Canada will probably win tomorrow, because I have been horribly wrong the past four years. I also predict a win for Sweden and hope I do not jinx them as well.

I always want to win but I could live with Sweden winning it at home in the gold medal game.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This is probably the one year in the past ten where I have felt Canada has the least chance to medal, let alone win gold.

I think Finland will beat us. I just have a feeling. So with my track record, Canada will probably win tomorrow, because I have been horribly wrong the past four years. I also predict a win for Sweden and hope I do not jinx them as well.

I always want to win but I could live with Sweden winning it at home in the gold medal game.

Yes, either Canada takes Silver or Gold, but Bronze looks like far-cry...They better win Finland.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I will try to avoid looking cooky when I laud the Swedish team so far. They have delivered what one can ask for and have no glaring faults. If they lose focus then it will look ugly - of course, but the possibility/risk is always there - otherwise I have confidence in them.

It would be a let down not having a Swe - Can game in the whole tourney.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
RUS-SWE 4-2
FIN-CAN 2-3

I think with the USA win, Russia got a lot of confidence. They'll be dangerous from now on and I think they'll beat Sweden. I don't see Finland beating Canada, but I can see them making the game exciting. Plus, you know, Saros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad