Pre-Game Talk: Pre-emptive 9th Overall Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I plan of picking 9th, praying for 1-3. With 9 I'd be happy with Wahlstrom, Dobson or Smith. Skeptical of Hughes, Farabee or Veleno.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Pretty certain itll be Dobson at 9

Oilers/Hawks winning would be too much to deal with

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
Bouchard, Dobson or grab Tkachuk if he drops
I don’t think Brady drops that far. TBQH I would have no problem taking Brady anywhere after 3 or maybe after the Russian. Yeah he’s one of the oldest kids in the draft and he didn’t have a great season his year but so what. How much ice time did he get? How much time on the top line? How much PP time?

The kid has good hands, moves well for a big guy and I’d venture to say he fills out at 6 ft 3 220. His game will translate well imho. He looked very good at the WJC. Decent bloodlines and this butter soft team could use some edge in the lineup.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i for one embrace our 9th place outcome.

it's really not a bad year for it. we can't whine about not getting first, and second/third yields you a winger so if we got either i'd be ok to trade down anyway. after that 4-9 is debatable, with a high chance 9th could be better than 4th.

so let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: dwarf

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
We're not finishing 9th. It would take an unbelievably terrible string of luck for that to happen.

8th I can definitely see, especially with two undeserving teams leapfrogging us as per usual.

Last year made me so f***ing mad...f***ing Philly. At least we ended up with the true #2 overall.

Fully resigned to our fate at this point. At least this year the anticipation levels are far lower...won't hurt nearly as bad.

I'm more concerned with Edmonton or Chicago winning picks than us dropping tbh. As long as those two fall as far as possible.

Reactions: Zombotron

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Acceptance....

I am ready to embrace picking 9th. It fits the history of this team. The good news for me....

Past Vancouver Canuck 9th overall picks:

Bob Dailey (1973) - Think Gudbranson *WITH* real hockey skills. A shame the Canucks dealt him (had a freak injury otherwise he'd would've had an even longer decent Flyer career)
Cam Neely (1983) - I'd rather not discuss "The Trade".:(
Bo Horvat (2013) - Guy should be the future C of the Canucks (instead it'll be given to foundational center Sutter or 'The Big Hurt [as in see you in the infirmary]' Guds.....blech.)

Seems like good news to me as well (hitting 100% here....). Three swings & basically two home runs and a triple.

We're not finishing 9th. It would take an unbelievably terrible string of luck for that to happen.

8th I can definitely see, especially with two undeserving teams leapfrogging us as per usual.

Let's look at all the players the Vancouver Canucks selected with the 8th overall pick:

Jason Herter (1989).....:eek:

Hope we trade down the pick from 8th to 9th.:laugh:

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
Jesus all those draft years end in 3. The Dailey trade was bad, the Neely trade could be the all time worst trade in the history of the sport. Horvat better not get too comfortable.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
good point. 9th spot might be our luckiest back 9 outcome where we have history

our history of 7th picks is rick lanz, dan woodley, and alex stojanov

at 6th we have virtanen

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I have a gut feeling we pick 7th, but as OP said, it wouldn't make a huge difference if we pick 8th/9th either.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I don't care where we pick as long as the Oilers and Hawks don't pick top 3.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Said I wasn't going to open this thread until at least after the draft lottery at 4:30 p.m. this afternoon...but relented...I note that Quinton Hughes was a bit of an off-the-board pick for the USA WHC team....so he could be the guy in the 6-9 range.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If we pick 9th tho, I legit will crack the f*** up

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I would put the tank nation Sabres in there too. If Vancouver doesn’t win I hope the Islanders win with Calgary’s pick

I’m the opposite. Give the Sabres Dahlin (if we can’t have him) and get them out of the yearly race for last place. A team like the Islanders won’t be there either way but boosting Buffalo by 10-15 pts helps our chances in 2019, 2020, etc.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
All the dmen will be gone by then, Benning is guaranteed not to take Tkachuk, and even though Wahlstrom should fall to 9, I'm almost positive Benning's gonna go off the board. Just watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad