GDT: Pre 5 | Oilers vs. Kings | Vernon, BC | 7:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No offense, all other teams slide great prospects all the time. Oilers shouldn't be concerning if they're going to hurt their assets feelings. They're young men and will understand they'll get their opportunity. Gifting or promising roster spots should never be done.

What benefits the team most is the important thing. The cap era makes managing a team more difficult. Letting players mature and improve their skills in the AHL could be something we see happen more often going forward.

How does sending Caggiula to the AHL help you manage the cap? He eats a year off his ELC no matter where he plays.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
So you guys are saying Versteeg is not going to be signed? I think he will. Maroon had a great run last season when he joined, but he also got top 6 minutes as well, with a "decent" center, and I see him as a bottom 6 player that can slide up if needed due to the massive amount of injuries this team gets.

Hard to believe that we are all talking about too many decent forwards for too few spots considering the previous 10 years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I thought Lucic and McDavid started to develop a bit of chemistry. Not in your face chemisitry but Lucic was doing a lot of small things to make Conner look good. Ebs is the one who really started to click tho, so good to see.

Id still like to see Lucic on a different line than McDavid to spread out the offense. Give Poo a run with McDavid and Eberle. Second line of Lucic-RNH-Drasaitl

On Cagguila: Not really surpised hes impressing. Many NCAA guys had him as NHL ready when he went to UFA. Theres a reason many big teams were in hard after him. The thing that impresses me is that hes doing it at center. Thatd be huge if he could turn into a good 3c. Id give him some time in top 6 on a wing tho. Coudl be our Shaw/Gallgher

JP looked really good last night and you can tell he could handle the big teams. Hes slowly starting to figure out NA and I dont expect him to be in the AHL at any point this year. I expected first 2/3 games would be really rough for him as hes returning from injury AND starting on new ice AND a rookie. But good to see after game 3 hes looking solid. Hes got 8-10 more NHL games (preseason and reg season) and I expect he keeps getting better. We got a keeper here

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
meh, I'd take Franson..guy has a cannon of a shot and he's right handed to boot..maybe if Buffalo retain some salary it could work

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Franson
Nurse-Davidson
Fayne

this is assuming Davidson is healthy

Putting Franson in your top 4 is like putting a cat turd in your Vector breakfast cereal.

A) why?
B) gross
And C) Vector sucks.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well they played their best team game yet last night. Albeit against a split squad.

McDavid was fire. Their line is getting better. Chemistry is there.

Nurse and Osterle looked pretty good considering playing with 5 d.

Sleppy looked good.

Pool Party is gaining confidence.

Yak... ugh.. no where to be found.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still feel like there's a Yakupov trade coming, likely for Franson. I feel like they've been playing a guy like Nurse so much in pre season is to see if he can take a step forward offensively in order to not need Franson. Could be wrong.

I can assure you you're wrong.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
McDavid seems to have improved a ton on the dot. I think he won every faceoff I was paying attention to. Good to see.

I wish RNH would show me something encouraging.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Watched the Davidson hit again, one good thing is his head didn't bounce off the ice. That's when you get nasty concussions, a head hit followed up by a second trauma with the head bouncing off the ice.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Watched the Davidson hit again, one good thing is his head didn't bounce off the ice. That's when you get nasty concussions, a head hit followed up by a second trauma with the head bouncing off the ice.

True, in all probability he's back for the start of the season. But I know you agree with me when I say that it's absurd that (a) we are literally losing one player per preseason game, and (b) when the loss is due to a deliberate attempt to injure, there is no physical pushback at all.

At this rate we will have a hard enough time dealing with weird/freak injuries (Maroon, Pak) this season... the Oilers cannot, I repeat, cannot retain this reputation for looking the other way when their players are targeted.

People say "it's only preseason". And LAK play a "heavy" game. OK, suppose that "heavy" game means Connor is hit dangerously from behind Nov 17, 2016? Suppose the goon doesn't even think twice about doing it 'cause it's the Oilers? How many years in a row does a team need to be crippled by injuries before we wake up and realize we're in the damn Pacific division?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
True, in all probability he's back for the start of the season. But I know you agree with me when I say that it's absurd that (a) we are literally losing one player per preseason game, and (b) when the loss is due to a deliberate attempt to injure, there is no physical pushback at all.

At this rate we will have a hard enough time dealing with weird/freak injuries (Maroon, Pak) this season... the Oilers cannot, I repeat, cannot retain this reputation for looking the other way when their players are targeted.

People say "it's only preseason". And LAK play a "heavy" game. OK, suppose that "heavy" game means Connor is hit dangerously from behind Nov 17, 2016? Suppose the goon doesn't even think twice about doing it 'cause it's the Oilers?

Yeah, I can't stand our willingness to just accept teams taking liberties with us. It makes me livid, teams have zero fear knowing they can take shots at our guys.

Example, look at the SJS after Nurse beat down Polak. Next time we played them? 6-3 victory in the Shark Tank. Having a violent streak within your team matters, it impacts how other teams play you.

If I see us tucking our tails between our legs and accept being bullied, hoping the other team doesn't keep taking shots at us I'll be so disappointed. Not even angry, just disappointed and let down. We'll never conquer the Pacific if our enemies don't fear us.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
McDavid seems to have improved a ton on the dot. I think he won every faceoff I was paying attention to. Good to see.

I wish RNH would show me something encouraging.

How is it that Nuge looks unreal against much tougher competition at the World Cup then turns average with us? Havent been able to watch the last two games so relying on reports.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell JP got that puck up so hard and fast. What a release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad