Tribute Praise Murray Edwards! Flames double number of Pro Scouts

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Guys? Tripled.

Edwards needs a Brad replacement.

Quadrupled even

cTQfAko.png

Edwards really opening up the wallet all of a sudden.

I like how he either skimped on the track suit or skimped on the photographer for Brad though.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Edwards needs a Brad replacement.

I like how he either skimped on the track suit or skimped on the photographer for Brad though.
He's going to be a player-scout. Their Reg Dunlop

Reactions: Fig

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He was a mixed bag. Will be interesting too see how he does in Toronto
The Brouwer and Neal debacles alone cost this team most of its contention window, and tre followed up those mistakes by attaching an even larger one in Nazem Kadri. Tre’s best work was the 2015/16 drafts and the Hamilton deals, otherwise he was pretty terrible

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Treliving was average, he wasn't terrible, he wasn't great, he was average just like pretty much every other GM in the league. I'd argue most of his trades favoured the Flames (the bigger ones anyway), but he also wasted a TON of picks for nothing players over and over and over again. His drafting was mediocre, some good drafts, some not so good drafts.

He left the Flames in a terrible state though with no direction.

Excited to see what Conroy can do, but based on the history of the league I am not going to get too excited and think of him as the next coming.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The Brouwer and Neal debacles alone cost this team most of its contention window, and tre followed up those mistakes by attaching an even larger one in Nazem Kadri. Tre’s best work was the 2015/16 drafts and the Hamilton deals, otherwise he was pretty terrible
So terrible he put together one of the best teams the Flames have iced in over a decade and a half while winning their division.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So terrible he put together one of the best teams the Flames have iced in over a decade and a half while winning their division.
Daryl Sutter put together a team that made the playoffs for 5 consecutive seasons.

No one here would say he’s a good Gm. Even bad GMs can occasionally produce decent results. Doesn’t stop them from being bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Daryl Sutter put together a team that made the playoffs for 5 consecutive seasons.

No one here would say he’s a good Gm. Even bad GMs can occasionally produce decent results. Doesn’t stop them from being bad.
With your negativity, it doesn't matter who is the coach or the GM. They will never live up to your ridiculous expectations.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
With your negativity, it doesn't matter who is the coach or the GM. They will never live up to your ridiculous expectations.
I have absolutely no expectations of this team. This "negativity" is from decades of crappy management that has consistently produced mediocrity and subpar results. For all the hype Brad gets the team's RS record was just below league average, and their playoff success even less so.

As for Connie and co, well we won't really know till next year. The fact that the team's UFA situation hasn't been resolved one way or another and its September cannot be spun positively whatsoever, but at the end of the day we don't really know right now.

Reactions: deleted user

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Things could turn out just fine. I'm not filled with confidence given the track record of the organisation though. Le sigh.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames press release

Kerry Huffman - Pro Scout
Brad Richardson - Pro Scout
Billy Powers - Pro Scout
Denis Grebeshkov - Amateur Scout
Pierre Lamoureaux - U.S. College Scout
Peter Loubardias - Reserve List Scout
Sandi Kirkland - Executive Assistant to the President of Hockey Operations and General Manager
Rachel Sproule - Executive Assistant to Hockey Operations
Caylin Relkoff - Assistant Strength Coach
Zach McClean - Development Strength Coach
Hendrix Hanes - Development and Data Scientist
Andrew Doty - Video Coordinator

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So why all the additions now, after Tre is gone? Was it Tre, who didn't want "too many" people in the organisation, or was he unable to convince Edwards that more people are needed?

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So why all the additions now, after Tre is gone? Was it Tre, who didn't want "too many" people in the organisation, or was he unable to convince Edwards that more people are needed?
All I know is after the steady stream of absolute bullshit coming from Don Maloney's face after Treliving was departed, I tend to lean towards "whatever the organization says on the matter means the opposite".

Reactions: Fig and Iggys Dome

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Good question and something I've been pondering as well. Maybe Tre felt he was just so good at evaluating talent that he just didn't need the extra help? Just a guess on my part.

Reactions: Kahvi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Good question and something I've been pondering as well. Maybe Tre felt he was just so good at evaluating talent that he just didn't need the extra help? Just a guess on my part.
Mason Raymond, Troy Brouwerplay, James no show Neal. Trio of excellent pro-scouting

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
People tend to not talk about the fact that back in the 90s, the Flames had basically no hockey OPS department as they stripped it down to save money when the team was at risk of movng.

The Flames have been gradually building up the hockey-ops department over the past couple decades. When Sutter was hired to be GM, we had no farm team and like 2 amateur scouts. He got us a farm team again and added a couple more scouts. Since then we've been adding a handful of people every year, whether it be scouts (mostly amateur), management (not long ago we had 1 AGM, instead of 3), analytics, goalie coaches (it used to be one guys, now we have 3), skating coaches... etc. This is just another wave of that process.

Edit:

Looking at elite prospect at the Team Staff... this is what I mean

In 1998-99 this was our team staff:
Last year, this was our team staff:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Short answer: yes.

Conroy has said in the past that Treliving was rather closed and liked to make key decisions by himself. And he also went on to say that he, in contrast, wants to be more collaborative with his decision making.

At the same time, the organization has endured a ton of negative press over the last calendar year and change, much of it deserved. And as demonstrated in that past, nothing motivates Edwards to act other than the perception that the club is a laughing stock. The last time the Flames were this widely maligned was during the last years of GM Darryl Sutter's reign, which prompted Edwards to finally go out and hire an assistant GM and then shell out millions to bring Burke into the fold as president of hockey operations. So it'd make sense if all this negative attention helped Conroy and co. to convince Edwards that modernization was necessary.

One other possibility was Dave Nonis. He's been around the block so to speak and it's possible he pointed out all of the various ways in the which the Flames lagged behind the competition. Edwards was reportedly so pleased with how Nonis interviewed that he had wanted to name him GM before Maloney convinced him someone younger was necessary. Maybe if Nonis had made those arguments to ownership, they'd have been more inclined to follow through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad