Tribute Praise Murray Edwards! Flames double number of Pro Scouts

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
That's right, the Flames just hired a second Pro Scout. There's no stopping this train now

ok4JBTU.png

Steve Pleau officially has a friend. What a time to be alive

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We have doubled capacity. That's an increase of 100%!

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Good that we got more scouting, but Pittsburgh's pro scouting hasn't been great in my opinion for the Crosby era. They should have had like 3 Cups before their repeat Cups.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Good that we got more scouting, but Pittsburgh's pro scouting hasn't been great in my opinion for the Crosby era. They should have had like 3 Cups before their repeat Cups.
And you attribute that to poor pro scouting, and not that it's really hard to win the cup?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
That was more of shoddy coaching and Fleury falling apart in the playoffs. Like, their pro scouting and GM at the time identified and brought in Iginla only to have Bylsma play him on the 3rd line on his off wing. Can't fix stupid.

But actually, looking at Kerry Huffman's profile, he wasn't part of any of that anyway
j3R6FUe.png

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
And you attribute that to poor pro scouting, and not that it's really hard to win the cup?

Their supporting cast was terrible. The only guy they ever brought in that was any good was Hossa.

They barely ever have 1st round picks because they always trade them for bum players.

I'm not saying the guy is to blame, and @Some Other Flame just pointed out he wasn't there earlier, but my point about the Pens not winning more Cups stand. They didn't win because their supporting cast was always terrible, just like Edmonton's.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Their supporting cast was terrible. The only guy they ever brought in that was any good was Hossa.

They barely ever have 1st round picks because they always trade them for bum players.

I'm not saying the guy is to blame, and @Some Other Flame just pointed out he wasn't there earlier, but my point about the Pens not winning more Cups stand. They didn't win because their supporting cast was always terrible, just like Edmonton's.

Kessel had back to back 20+ point playoffs for the Penguins. Hornqvist was a big part of those runs as well. Daley, Schultz, Hagelin, Cullen, Kunitz, Cole, Scuderi, Bonino they got a lot of mileage out of all these guys, and often for a bargain price. Don't think you can point to their pro scouting as their main deficiency.

They didn't win more cups because Shero was overly loyal to Bylsma, who is a total idiot.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

The only guy they ever acquired that was any good was Hossa? Why would you make a wild statement like that?
Between their 2009 cup and their 2016 cup they were basically a .600 team, and a top contender every year. Their supporting cast was fine. It may not have been the right mix, but it wasn't "always terrible" as you state for no reason.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I recall MAF being responsible for most of Pittsburgh’s playoff futility. Matt Murray arrives and they win b2b

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Somebody on hockeybuzz must read HF which is great because they did the legwork I didn't want to:

2.) Doubling the Pro Scouting Department
Is it just me, or does it seem odd that this era of the Calgary Flames has ran with only one pro scout on staff until July 25 of this offseason? Steve Pleau has been their only listed Pro Scout for years.

Pleau, 50, has worked as a pro scout for the Flames since the 2010-2011 season.

Dedicated Pro Scouts Per Team
Anaheim: Undisclosed, but they have a Director of Pro Scouting.
Arizona: 5
Boston: 3
Buffalo: Undisclosed, but they have a Director of Pro Scouting.
Calgary: 2
Carolina: 6
Chicago: 10
Colorado: 6
Columbus: 4
Dallas: 3
Detroit: 5
Edmonton: 3
Florida: 5
Los Angeles: 9 (including four dedicated AHL Scouts)
Minnesota: 7
Montreal: 6
Nashville: 4
New Jersey: 5 (including Jim Mill as Head of Free Agent Scouting/Recruitment)
New York Islanders: 4 (five if you include one dedicated Special Assignments Scout)
New York Rangers: 5
Ottawa: 4
Philidelphia: 3
Pittsburgh: 4 (six if you include crossovers)
San Jose: 4
Seattle: 3
St. Louis: 2 (Their only dedicated North American pro scout is Troy Brouwer. Small world.)
Tampa Bay: 4
Toronto: 6
Vancouver: 5
Vegas: 6
Washington: Undisclosed
Winnipeg: 6

Ambiguity aside, one pro scout doing the work that other organizations have up to ten people doing is a lot. Especially when you factor in the success that pro scouting provided for a team such as Chicago. Stan Bowman was constantly juggling pro assets with other teams throughout the 2010s to keep supporting talent on the roster fresh and competitive.

Discounting the undisclosed teams, the league averages 4.68 dedicated Pro Scouts per team. The Flames increasing from one to two is a good step, but still dreadfully underwhelming.

TLDR: Murray Edwards sucks

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Somebody on hockeybuzz must read HF which is great because they did the legwork I didn't want to:

TLDR: Murray Edwards sucks
With a phrase like Brouwer Play, yes someone must frequent this site. :laugh:

I think Don Maloney also had the pro scout moniker attached to his VP title before the promotion.

Still not enough staffing in that area though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Are Murray Edwards and the other owners just cheap? Until recently just one scout to scout all the other NHL teams and AHL teams. Wow. Now we have two.. pathetic.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
With the hiring of Conroy and Huska I have 2 new flames. ;)

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Is this the billy powers who was an assistant coach for Michigan for the last 30 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad