Line Combos: Practice day

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Good point, I just want them to draft Guenther really badly & replace Dadonov eventually.

They are a weird bunch - but how much more RW do you add with Sokolov, Jarventie coming and the chance White becomes a winger and Abramov gets a chance?

Abramov may be able to replace Dadonov.

This draft is going to be good for us no matter who we get in the top "5" - Beneirs/Eklund (1C), Guenther/Lysell (1RW), Hugues/Clarke/Power (1D) with Clarke being that RD we might need.

Personally, Lysell intrigues me, reminds me of Kane. Won't hit that large power forward archetype you prefer, but I'll take a little more skill, agility and speed, to add to the size in Tkachuk, Stutzle, Pinto.

I don't expect more than one of Sokolov/Jarventie/Abramov to challenge for a top 6 RW spot. I see Sokolov as a possible hit or miss, and Jarventie and Abramovs as likely AHL tweeners. They've all got a shot but I wouldn't NOT pick up a surebet top 6 winger just to give them a chance.

Excited for the double header against Calgary, actually not a terrible game for JBD to hang out and watch the game before coming in on Tuesday with some fresh legs.

Unless we get another shutout, in which case don't touch the lineup.

Yup, and all those 1-2 days of fbetween games, I'm hoping the teams getting a lot of practice time to show us what they can do when they're gelled. Hopefully they don't hover too high about 0.500 and take us out of the top 3 pick though :laugh:

except for Tierney

A pair of Mete - JBD is a little anxiety inducing for me though. Maybe not after i've seen it enough, but considering both are new with the team, and one's a rookie with 1 NHL game in his belt, I'd be worried that Murray would get exposed again.

I dont hate Zaitsev like some people do. He's been solid this year imo. Def had more of a problem with his play last season.

He's overpaid for sure, but if he made like 2.5-3 mil a year I think people would like him

Plus he's an empty net sniper, baby.

Yeah, Zaitsev to me has been a great soldier, doing above what should be asked of him.

He's an OK top pairing D for a bubble team, but ideally is a 2nd pairing D for a legitimate playoff team.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Pre & post trade deadline ice time among the top-6 d-men.

BeforeTOISHPP
Chabot26:380:133:28
Zaitsev22:302:420:15
Reilly18:361:361:03
Gudbranson18:042:42.
Zub17:271:43.
Brannstrom12:500:181:24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AfterTOISHPP
Chabot26:460:333:24
Zaitsev26:175:28.
Zub20:524:38.
Brannstrom16:551:341:37
J.Brown15:132:57.
Mete11:590:41.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Chabot's ice time hasn't changed.
Zaitsev and Zub's SH TOI looks excessive.
Brannstrom's ice time is growing into covering Reilly's minutes.
Mete SH TOI has been as follows: 0:00, 0:00, 0:00, 2:43. Looks like DJ is starting to trust him with more responsibility, though his 2nd game at 15 mins is notably higher than the 13 he got last night.
Brown looks to be a mainstay over JDB until DJ develops more trust in Brannstrom and Mete.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

And that is with focusing on hockey since he was 15...he is still raw compared to the kids in hockey camps and power skating since they were 4. He is obviously a very good athlete, just like Norris, and that is one of the things I like best about them.

Those 2 showing so well, while admittedly a short timeframe, has me super excited about the rebuild at this point - adding in a more mature Stutze and then Sanderson end of next season and this team could have a pretty steep upward trajectory.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I like the honesty of DJ . He admit Murray can come early but the team prefer work with the new goalie coach. Don t expect JBD to play a lot to end the year. Prefer him to work in practice than play.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
When they say DJ Smith is the player's coach, what it means that the guy sticks for his players contracts and future money making abilities. Because without keeping a job in NHL an income stream will dry out rather quickly.
I understand this cave like mentality of fairness and that's why Brown is still skating on a third pair on his last legs. But how it relates to team's success, because this mentality is counterproductive. Well almost, if you only do not tank the season. Then it is your integrity on display of selling yourself out to the management and the owner and being a pawn. Why Tierney and White are still skating as centers?
It is still about fairness? Stutzle has to be developed as a center. A faceoff coach has to be hired for him and he has to practice better defense coverage and takeaways. Stutzle is super smart to learn and to adapt, just provide him the tools.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
DJ is reaaaallly gonna try and make Josh Brown work. Looks like if he gets into a fight he stays in

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
When they say DJ Smith is the player's coach, what it means that the guy sticks for his players contracts and future money making abilities. Because without keeping a job in NHL an income stream will dry out rather quickly.
I understand this cave like mentality of fairness and that's why Brown is still skating on a third pair on his last legs. But how it relates to team's success, because this mentality is counterproductive. Well almost, if you only do not tank the season. Then it is your integrity on display of selling yourself out to the management and the owner and being a pawn. Why Tierney and White are still skating as centers?
It is still about fairness? Stutzle has to be developed as a center. A faceoff coach has to be hired for him and he has to practice better defense coverage and takeaways. Stutzle is super smart to learn and to adapt, just provide him the tools.

Stutzle is a winger he does not have to be developed as a center

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Stutzle doesn't look super smart, he looks overwhelmed, tired & has been underwhelming the last 20 games. He does show glances of good play & I'm quite sure he will be a very good player some day, but Norris is the better rookie so far this yr. It seems to me the guy just has to skate fast once around the perimeter & half this board cream their jeans. The team has been playing really well over the last number of games & we can see that the future looks good. Everybody picked this team to be a last place team, not a playoff team & that doesn't get fixed overnight. How was DJ suppose to improve on that given the players his boss signed & brought in, that's on the GM?

I just don't get this caveman opinion of DJ, what exactly has other teams done so differently from what he has done? They all seem to play similar styles, the only difference IMO is that some of them have better players with more NHL experience & Ottawa had crappy goaltending to start the yr. Almost every team in the division got bigger over the summer & added bigger players & people want this team to go smaller, does that make sense? If J. Brown is taken out of the lineup Tkachuk will have to fight more often & risk injury or is Brannstrom or Mete going to provide that? If Watson is not on this team a few other guys are going to have to fight who might not be very good at it & could get hurt. Would you want rookies fighting established tough guys? In case people haven't noticed there is still fighting in the NHL, it's been over a decade that people were saying that there will be no fighting in hockey & it's still here. The players don't seem to have a problem with it either, just some fans.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

This team basically makes these decision on principle

I got the impression that he wants J. Brown in the lineup so Tkachuk isn't forced to fight all the time. He seems to want a bigger & tougher D so that the young guys are not forced into defending themselves against established tough players is how I interpret that.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If you're going to force both Brannstrom and Mete on DJ, then expect him to use Josh Brown as much as he possibly can.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I got the impression that he wants J. Brown in the lineup so Tkachuk isn't forced to fight all the time. He seems to want a bigger & tougher D so that the young guys are not forced into defending themselves against established tough players is how I interpret that.
Lol he got into one scuffle in each game, amounting to very little. Weren’t even players running around.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you're going to force both Brannstrom and Mete on DJ, then expect him to use Josh Brown as much as he possibly can.
Hard to compute.

maybe if josh brown were good? Or some sort of long term piece?

but you’re right it seems at this point he’s waiting for an excuse to drop mete and brannstrom.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's less about Brown and more about them not wanting to put JBD in a position he isn't going to do well in . Putting young players in positions to succeed has been the priority. They have no problem playing Pinto because he showed quickly that he can handle himself.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stutzle doesn't look super smart, he looks overwhelmed, tired & has been underwhelming the last 20 games. He does show glances of good play & I'm quite sure he will be a very good player some day, but Norris is the better rookie so far this yr. It seems to me the guy just has to skate fast once around the perimeter & half this board cream their jeans. The team has been playing really well over the last number of games & we can see that the future looks good. Everybody picked this team to be a last place team, not a playoff team & that doesn't get fixed overnight. How was DJ suppose to improve on that given the players his boss signed & brought in, that's on the GM?

I just don't get this caveman opinion of DJ, what exactly has other teams done so differently from what he has done? They all seem to play similar styles, the only difference IMO is that some of them have better players with more NHL experience & Ottawa had crappy goaltending to start the yr. Almost every team in the division got bigger over the summer & added bigger players & people want this team to go smaller, does that make sense? If J. Brown is taken out of the lineup Tkachuk will have to fight more often & risk injury or is Brannstrom or Mete going to provide that? If Watson is not on this team a few other guys are going to have to fight who might not be very good at it & could get hurt. Would you want rookies fighting established tough guys? In case people haven't noticed there is still fighting in the NHL, it's been over a decade that people were saying that there will be no fighting in hockey & it's still here. The players don't seem to have a problem with it either, just some fans.
I mean. Can just not fight? We’ve played how many games this year? How many left? Have we been involved in many brutally dirty games? I’d say....we’ve been involved in zero. Not like our games get out of hand and they need policing lmao. The next games are complete vanilla games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's less about Brown and more about them not wanting to put JBD in a position he isn't going to do well in . Putting young players in positions to succeed has been the priority. They have no problem playing Pinto because he showed quickly that he can handle himself.
Wasn’t this said about Gustafson too lmao. 6th d man and 10 minutes isn’t gonna crush JBD lol.

if you play decent players. Normally. They play....decently.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Hard to compute.

maybe if josh brown were good? Or some sort of long term piece?

but you’re right it seems at this point he’s waiting for an excuse to drop mete and brannstrom.

The only way Brannstrom, Mete and JBD will ever be in the line-up at the same time is if injuries dictate it. Perhaps if Watson were healthy DJ would be more comfortable using those three simultaneously.

I don't think Mete is viewed as a long-term piece either though. He's a place holder - and it wouldn't be shocking to me if he's not qualified.

If the top-2 LD are going to be Chabot and Brannstrom then DJ is going to want a bigger, more physical type of player in the three-hole. I think that will be addressed in the off-season.

Reactions: aragorn

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wasn’t this said about Gustafson too lmao. 6th d man and 10 minutes isn’t gonna crush JBD lol.

if you play decent players. Normally. They play....decently.

It should be said for every player you are trying to develop. Gustavsson was a last resort and luckily he did well, but that shouldn't be the expectation. Not playing every game isn't going to crush him either. His debut was okay, but did anyone come away thinking he was ready to be a full time NHL player?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We’ve been through this before - I assume DJ is seeing JBD at practice and they are working on some things. We saw DJ build up Wolanin, Brann, Reilley etc. It built up each player enough where there was an improvement the next time they played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad