Power Rankings- TML 26th

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
This year is going to be crazy though.

Some teams have many players who will be in game shape already (from playing overseas or in the AHL) and will be hot to start off while many other players haven't had any game action since last spring.

Also injuries are going to be huge this year. Remember when Miller went down last year for a while and Buffalo doesn't play as well. They finished strong and almost made the playoffs but it was too little too late. If that injury happens again this season, they wouldn't stand a chance at even getting that close.

The teams that stay the healthiest are the teams that will make the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I personally wouldn't have Florida below the Leafs in the standings.

FWIW : Sportsnet's Panel predictions (Hockley Central) mostly had Leafs 14th or 15th in the East based on the present talent and if they acquire Luongo possibly challenging for playoff spot in a shortened season.

So they agree with TSN of Leafs ranking for the most part.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm shocked the Jets are so low. Man were they ever good at home last year. I don't know if the home ice advantage will be as intense this year.

Honestly, i'd sign up for a bottom 5 finish

it'd be the 2nd best thing after playoffs IMO

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
How are we behind the habs?

' The Leafs have some talent, but without proven goaltending or a bona fide No. 1 centre, their ceiling is assuredly limited. '

goaltending, center spot (to a lesser degree)

that's why we're behind most teams

hockey isn't complicated

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This year is going to be crazy though.

Some teams have many players who will be in game shape already (from playing overseas or in the AHL) and will be hot to start off while many other players haven't had any game action since last spring.

Teams like Boston, Philly, LA etc had as many as 11 regulars playing during the lockout.

The entire Edmonton PP unit played together in Oklahoma City and are getting inserted into a shortened season.

I agree teams with the most game ready players will have a huge advantage early on and likely that transfers to playoff spots.

No doubt the TSN rankings have considered this factor.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

I'm friends with a few Quebecois Habs fans and while I insist that both our clubs will suck they seem to think Erik Cole will still score at a high pace and this Desharnais guy will be a leading assist man in the NHL. On top of that they expect Lars Eller will break out. I beg to differ and I kinda hope our Leafs get the higher pick than the Habs this year.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I'm shocked the Jets are so low. Man were they ever good at home last year. I don't know if the home ice advantage will be as intense this year.

Stats show that in the first year of a team being in a new city/new arena, the team will play better at hope. That begins to wear off after the first season though. Will be interesting to see how much it wears off this year.

One thing I was surprised at was Minny being 20th I think it was. I would have them more in the 10th range.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Teams like Boston, Philly, LA etc had as many as 11 regulars playing during the lockout.

The entire Edmonton PP unit played together in Oklahoma City and are getting inserted into a shortened season.

I agree teams with the most game ready players will have a huge advantage early on and likely that transfers to playoff spots.

No doubt the TSN rankings have considered this factor.

Any sources for stats such as these to aid a betting man?

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm friends with a few Quebecois Habs fans and while I insist that both our clubs will suck they seem to think Erik Cole will still score at a high pace and this Desharnais guy will be a leading assist man in the NHL. On top of that they expect Lars Eller will break out. I beg to differ and I kinda hope our Leafs get the higher pick than the Habs this year.

it sucks the one year they were awful they potentially got a franchise center

DaveT83*

Shortened Season does not expose Toronto's horrible lack of Conditioning.

I think we make the Playoffs - Unfortunately. Without Phil Kessel who will be injured majority of season.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
' The Leafs have some talent, but without proven goaltending or a bona fide No. 1 centre, their ceiling is assuredly limited. '

goaltending, center spot (to a lesser degree)

that's why we're behind most teams

hockey isn't complicated

won't be the worst thing. Goaltending isn't going to get "proven" unless Reimer/Scrivens get a chance to show what they're capable of Healthy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Carey Price + healthy Markov + off season last year..

Montreal has been in the playoffs 5 of the past 6 seasons, only missing last year, so that could simple be considered an anomaly (off season, for whatever reason).

Toronto has been in the playoffs 0 of the past 6 seasons.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011

They've got the most brutal away schedule though bc they are playing every away game out of their timezone while every other team in the east plays in the eastern time zone (i think). Puts them at a pretty sinificant disadvantage in terms of travel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not really surprising.

Until they show they aren't a bottom team, they probably will get more respect.

They haven't upgraded the positions they needed to upgrade, so they are ranked appropriately.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
How are the Avs down there that far? Doesn't make sense to me when they are only going to start getting better, young core.

McMykul

Jul 6, 2009
Victoria, BC
Can't wait for the Leafs to shut all these "experts" up! James Reimer is not as bad as people are saying and our defence also isn't AS bad as people say... How the Habs with their current lineup could be ahead of us is joke IMO!!

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
There will be a lot of teams rising and falling after the first couple of weeks. Those power rankings are such crapshoots this early in the season.

Success early on will be based almost entirely on what teams' players kept up their conditioning the best, and which teams have reliable depth to cover what will be a steady stream of groin injuries.

My guess? The youngest teams will have the most success out of the gate. Teams with a lot of veterans will go down faster than a soccer player after a bee sting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad