Game Analysis: Power Play Discussion

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Probably should've been playing Buchnevich over Glass. Then you don't have Holden on the ice for the power play. You have a guy who, you know, was successful on the PP this year...

UMpbze9.png

that says Pirri

Blueshirts 94

DJ ZBad
Jan 26, 2016
New York
One thing I would have liked to see AV try, just once or twice:

Brady Skjei on the top unit. McD was overworked in this playoff run, playing much more than anyone else on the back end (he averaged 27:20 TOI/G, next most for us was G around 22 min/G). He also plays the most on the PP and PK. Give him a rest, put him on the second unit. Skjei plays well enough in the offensive zone and is quick enough to get back defensively, and AV obviously trusted him on the 2nd unit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I asked this in one of the other threads, but I seem to remember that during the period of the year where the Rangers were successful they would use the player in the high slot to distribute the puck.

That player has 5 options on what to do as opposed to the 3 available to the point man.

Slot player can: distribute the puck to any one of the 4 players most open or take a shot. Point man can: distribute the puck to the other point or along the half wall or he can take a shot. Those other options available in the high slot get guys moving around a little bit more too.

What happened to that?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
how to improve the pp ?

never again let ryan mcdonough leave the bench when were are man up. never ever.

let him kill penalties and play 5v5

he's like a fish out of water on the pp.

skjei, clendo or especially shattenkirk please.

your pp next year will probably include buchnevich setting up shop on the wall feeding passes to a right handed shatty for one timers. zib on the other wall and kreider parked in front with zuc making sure everyone is in the right spot.

mika
zuc
buchnevich
kreider
shatty

now thats a smart pp unit.

Last edited:

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I asked this in one of the other threads, but I seem to remember that during the period of the year where the Rangers were successful they would use the player in the high slot to distribute the puck.

That player has 5 options on what to do as opposed to the 3 available to the point man.

Slot player can: distribute the puck to any one of the 4 players most open or take a shot. Point man can: distribute the puck to the other point or along the half wall or he can take a shot. Those other options available in the high slot get guys moving around a little bit more too.

What happened to that?

I had a pretty in-depth post about this on the prior page. Don't know if it's a personnel issue or a coaching issue. I assume it's a coaching issue. The coaches would be correcting it if a certain player wasn't getting it done And we have a couple of guys on this team that could be good there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I had a pretty in-depth post about this on the prior page. Don't know if it's a personnel issue or a coaching issue. I assume it's a coaching issue. The coaches would be correcting it if a certain player wasn't getting it done And we have a couple of guys on this team that could be good there.

I think potentially that Kreider might be better served in that spot than in front of the net because of his shot. Everyone wants him in front because of his size, but his skill set is not one of a rebound guy. Miller would be good there too. Zuccarello of course.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think potentially that Kreider might be better served in that spot than in front of the net because of his shot. Everyone wants him in front because of his size, but his skill set is not one of a rebound guy. Miller would be good there too. Zuccarello of course.
I think it's important that guy is good at making quick decisions and accurate passes. In other words, not Kreider.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

his skill set is actually not that great for the pp period.

his speed is a dangerous weapon. he gets to where ever he's going very quickly. he just has zero idea what to do when he gets there.

hes not even a good mail carrier because he turns the puck over too often when he just runs out of rink.

having him stand there with his size and strength enables him to think less and just be there in case of a screen, deflection and or a juicy rebound.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, I think we will see coach staff change here - at least I hope so, and maybe a shattenkirk over the summer to improve our blueline.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010

If Buch can really take the reins from Zucc and his usual position on the wall, I agree Zucc would be great there. If not, Miller. I'm not sure how good Kreiders quick decision making would be there.

Have gut feeling Lindberg would actually be pretty good there too. He gets shots off quick and is very good moving the puck in traffic.

Regardless, it won't matter if the strategy is not coming from whoever is coaching the PP

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Rangers really need a reliable PP QB moving forward. Is Skjei capable? I'm willing to give him a lot of room to operate in that role next season.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Rangers really need a reliable PP QB moving forward. Is Skjei capable? I'm willing to give him a lot of room to operate in that role next season.

I was wondering about whether or not is' capability or the system at work, or both. I've not seen a lot of guys who succeed very well on it here

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

What happened to that?
Yeah the Flyers used to kill teams with that setup:

f1.jpg

Maybe Buchnevich and Zucc should be swapped

__________[____]__________
----------------Kreider----------------
----------------------------------------
-Zibanejad--Buchnevich--Zuccarello
--------------
McDonagh--------------

Last edited:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The problem isn't McDonagh. When you put that much onus on the point man to create everything from up high with a PKer on him, Jesus Christ can't make it work. If we put Karlsson in McDonagh's position with our PP, he would look above average at best.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's kind of just a placeholder in this setup, the forwards are the important part. But also...why not? He doesn't excel at it like Shattenkirk or Timonen but he's still adequate. People forget our PP was 20.2% this year (the highest post-lockout), and 23% on the road. The issue was really our 2nd unit, anyway, IIRC.

5th most PP goals in the league

5th best shot/rate on the PP in the league.

Pretty ok I guess
This. Nonetheless it's not something that should be relied upon in the playoffs. Power plays go hot and cold throughout the season, for every team, often longer than 4-7 games. You're also playing the same team every night; if they have a good PK you're screwed.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Miller should be in the slot, slot isn't good for Buch, he's too passive in the slot, needs to be active on the PP. I'd go with five forwards. He's best in Zucc's position, but thats kind of taken right now. Put Buch in McDonagh's spot, second PP can have two defensemen, more of a traditional set-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad