Game Analysis: Power Play Discussion

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
UPDATE. I'd like to revisit this thread. The power play absolutely broke our season.
Game 1 we lost 2-1 PP was 1-6
Game 2 we lost 6-5 PP was 0-4
Game 3 we won 4-1 PP was 0-4
Game 4 we won 4-1 PP was 1-6
Game 5 we lost 5-4 PP was 0-4
Game 6 we lost 4-2 PP was 0-3 including an important double minor while we were down 1-0
My numbers might be a little off with total PP but either way they were 2-27. Special teams in the playoffs is HUGE. With the offensive guys we have this team should be embarrassed that they lost this series. The last minute goals in games 2 and 5 don't happen if they could've scored one more goal on the PP. Everybody wants to trade this guy and that guy but I think this team can make a run IF we have Karlsson type of guy on the back end. I don't know who's a FA that has offensive skills besides Shattenkirk but we need somebody back there that can QB the PP.
On a side note did anyone else notice that every last minute goal had the same defenseman on the ice. Staal.
Questions comments concerns?

I think the power play is going to make or break our season. Am I the only one who's frustrated with how the PP is run?
1. Players used. How does a guy like Puempel, who does absolutely nothing 5 on 5, get PP time? AV needs to stop playing favorites and sitting non favorites (JT Miller)
2. Zone entry. Drop passes at the red line and trying to carry the puck into the zone. If it's not working then dump and chase. Problem with that is when they do dump it in there's guys that had to slow down or stop at the blue line. The other team easily gets control of the puck and it's an easy clear.
3. Standing still. Nobody moves on this PP which makes it very easy to defend. With only one legit shooter (Pirri) on this team movement is needed to allow his shot to A) be taken and B) get through to the net.
4. Lack of a true PP quarterback. No explanation needed.

Agree, disagree?

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
its been fine

had a rough couple of games, every good pp unit goes through stretches like

when everyone is healthy the pp will be utterly lethal like it was earlier in the year

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
PP isn't a season breaker

1. When were healthy, Pumpel won't be on the PP let alone in the lineup. He's a better option than Fast/Lindbergh/Hrivk

2. Zone entries aren't a problem

3. Puck movement creates shots. They move it pretty well at times. Zibanejad is probably the most lethal shooter because of oneT. Pirri has the best release and wrist shot though.

4. McDonaghs above average at the point but nothing special. Great puck keeper and mobility along the line to make some plays. It'd be nice if he was more of a threat to score a goal. Oh well.

With Zibanejad back it should only get better

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
It's also top 10 because of the hot start we had. Before tonight we hadn't scored a pp goal in 6 games. I agree with some of the above especially McD holding the line. He's starting to remind me of Leetch in that way. Zib has a great shot but he's not consistent in scoring. To say our entry is fine is wrong. (No offense) I know puemple will be off once guys come back but I can't see how he plays him over miller. Have a good night fellas.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Being good at 5 on 5 does not mean you're good on the pp and being good on the PP does not mean you're good 5 on 5 so I do not understand this argument with respect to Puempel at all

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
This is probably the best powerplay we have had since Jagr.

its seriously one of the few things about this team I am satisfied with

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Especially with all the skill that's injured right now.

very true, but everybody has injuries.

Not even taking injuries into account, our power play is top 10.

This doesn't mean we don't need to work on it anymore. We always need to make constant adjustments. Something works for a while until other teams figure out how to stop it, then we go cold until we figure out a new strategy that works, rinse and repeat.

Its a cycle that all power plays go through. Even bad powerplays get white hot for small stretches. The best ones are simply the quickest to adapt.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
To be more specific, I remember a play we used to run with Callahan where he would camp out to the right of the goalie, take a pass, then backhand it to the left side or the slot for a one timer.

We scored some really nice goals with that move, but teams caught on, and pretty soon the passes always seemed to get blocked or intercepted.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Bad powerplays don't kill as season as much as bad penalty kills do.

We're 9th without Zibby, Nash, and Buchnevich.

Rangers have been fine.

Special teams are muuuuuch better this season.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Bad powerplays don't kill as season as much as bad penalty kills do.

We're 9th without Zibby, Nash, and Buchnevich.

Rangers have been fine.

Special teams are muuuuuch better this season.

Special teams are by far the biggest improvement this team has made so far

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
The PP has been good, and the stats speak for themselves.

It could be a bit better, too.

When you have a really aggressive PK, I'd like to see them move feet and the puck. Pass around, wear out the PKers, and then start moving.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We almost had three PP goals last night, since two goals were scored right after the PP expired, IIRC

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Being good at 5 on 5 does not mean you're good on the pp and being good on the PP does not mean you're good 5 on 5 so I do not understand this argument with respect to Puempel at all

Was this before of after he got his hatty on the PP? Doesn't really matter i guess, its just that I am not sure what all the "dislike" (hate is kind of harsh) for this young man. Its obvious that he DOES have some good offensive talent and with that good hands. After the hatty, its obvious to me that he SHOULD get some more time on the PP. IT's really hot right now, and he has ALOT to do with it, he's a finisher and Stepan has been better which is crucial.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Our PP is 4th in the league, our PK is 8th in the league. St Louis is the only other team to be ranked in the top-10 in both (PP 8th, PK 4th)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The PP has been good, and the stats speak for themselves.

It could be a bit better, too.

When you have a really aggressive PK, I'd like to see them move feet and the puck. Pass around, wear out the PKers, and then start moving.

Someone mentioned teams adjust to specific plays.....of course they do, (not being sarcastic) but its kind of a consistent cat and mouse kind of thing, so WE NEED TO change things up a bit. My idea.......

You know how we consistently do that passing back thing to the trailer dmen or whomever........well, i would like doing that intermittently. A pre-determined plan '"prior to". Like.......every other time.....drop it back, OR every 3rd time.........drop it back..........alternatively dump it in.

Fun fact.........EVERYONE HAS TO BE ON THE SAME PAGE! To KNOW in ADVANCE what we are going to do. DUMP and chase of lateral it back. Know what i mean?

I mean, if AV and staff can have these awesome "set plays" off of FO's then why can't we do something like this? It's kind of lime in football having set 2 plays in the huddle. Defenses will be less limely to have the ability on HOW they want to defend. Do I make any sense? Is this already implemented, because it's not apparent to me. What do you guys think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad