Power of ESPN - NHL Coverage on ESPN

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
First they gotta get Max Kellerman out the door. Doesn't like hockey, has no respect for the game so someone else needs to take his spot. Can't have guys like him bad mouthing the Nhl now.

I bet you ratings will go up when that happens

They're not getting rid of Kellerman for the NHL. Believe it or not Max is a popular guy on that network outside hockey circles. It's like Stephen A people always complain about he's too loud with the debate format, but when you look at the ratings he brings the ratings.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why?
IMO, ESPN's power and influence hasn't been weaker in decades.

10 years ago, everyone watched ESPN for the sports recaps/highlights. That was the glue. So even if you didn't like hockey, or didn't like football, or tennis or whatever, you saw the highlights.

I guarantee you ESPN sportscenter's ratings are WAY WAY down over the last 10-15 years.

I watch stuff on NHL network even though I can get all the highlights elsewhere. It's more than just highlights. The problem with Sportcenter, and most ESPN programming, it's there's too much shtick. Too many guys trying too hard to be funny or edgy, and not enough just talking about the actual sports. All sports networks do that to a degree, but IMO ESPN is the most egregious.

First they gotta get Max Kellerman out the door. Doesn't like hockey, has no respect for the game so someone else needs to take his spot. Can't have guys like him bad mouthing the Nhl now.

I bet you ratings will go up when that happens

They won't get rid of Kellerman, unfortunately, but I do look forward to him being a complete hypocrite as he pushes the company line in favor of the NHL. Not that he isn't a hypocrite already. The guy has his roots in boxing and that sport hasn't been relevant since Tyson retired. He's the last person who should be throwing stones.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
ESPN should seriously heavily promote McDavid and Matthews. I think the Oilers and Leafs should both win the cup or at least make the finals a few times over the next decade and it's important to have something to entice American viewers to want to watch those teams, especially Matthews since he is American, Hispanic and plays on a Canadian market most Americans are familiar with.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
ESPN has had NHL coverage all week on their website consistently the last few weeks. I have also seen PTI and shows like that talk about Canucks/Marleau/Vegas Golden Knights clinching the first playoff seeding etc.

Honestly they haven't started even broadcasting games other than espn+ and their coverage is more main stream than anything that was ever on OLN/Versus/NBCSN

Reactions: generalshepherd141

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
1bC9g32

Screenshot-from-2021-05-06-11-42-41.png

NHL all over ESPN front page. Yesterday both ESPN twitter and BleacherReport posted all about the NHL.

This is more mainstream conversation for one regular season game than I have seen in a decade from NBC.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad