Power of ESPN - NHL Coverage on ESPN

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Hi All,

I am fascinated with the Business of Sports and after the NHL/ESPN Contract I have been looking at how much the platform will push the NHL back in lne with the "Big Four" from the 90s/early 2000s.

Pardot the Interruption has been mentioning hockey/NHL more recently and I expect more of that in the very near future leading up to the contract kicking in the fall.

On the website the banner now shows NHL 4th; before the contract up to a week ago it in an obsecure "more sports section."

Today I logged on to the site and the NHL trade deadline is second behind only the NFL. Looks like ESPN is doing their part and I expect more in the next months.

I wanted to make this thread to monitor the ESPN coverage because we used to complain about how ESPN did not care before.

espn-bar.png
NHLTrade.png

Last edited by a moderator:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Hi All,

I am fascinated with the Business of Sports and after the NHL/ESPN Contract I have been looking at how much the platform will push the NHL back in lne with the "Big Four" from the 90s/early 2000s.

Pardot the Interruption has been mentioning hockey/NHL more recently and I expect more of that in the very near future leading up to the contract kicking in the fall.

On the website the banner now shows NHL 4th; before the contract up to a week ago it in an obsecure "more sports section."

Today I logged on to the site and the NHL trade deadline is second behind only the NFL. Looks like ESPN is doing their part and I expect more in the next months.

I wanted to make this thread to monitor the ESPN coverage because we used to complain about how ESPN did not care before.

So you're saying they had NHL in the [...] section before.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hi All,

I think the real indicator is how much they put behind their paid subscription wall. If they put a lot of content there, then there is real demand signal.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I think the real indicator is how much they put behind their paid subscription wall. If they put a lot of content there, then there is real demand signal.

I think to grow the game content such as interviews and highlights need to be across all properties and channels. If it's behind a paywall you are catering to the diehards.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
So you're saying they had NHL in the [...] section before.
Maybe it was during off season?

Or you're saying even during the season this year and maybe last year and before?

I noticed in my fubotv listings that ESPN2 is televising the trade deadline. Any here know if they been airing it in recent years?

NESN plus in New England carried it also. Maybe they had been doing it for many years, but I never checked.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Maybe it was during off season?

Or you're saying even during the season this year and maybe last year and before?

I noticed in my fubotv listings that ESPN2 is televising the trade deadline. Any here know if they been airing it in recent years?

NESN plus in New England carried it also. Maybe they had been doing it for many years, but I never checked.

Pretty sure ESPN has had NHL in the "other" section for years and years and years.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think to grow the game content such as interviews and highlights need to be across all properties and channels. If it's behind a paywall you are catering to the diehards.

Yes, but it also shows there is considerable interest. They won't put something behind a paywall unless they can make money off of it.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
yes......

Why?
IMO, ESPN's power and influence hasn't been weaker in decades.

10 years ago, everyone watched ESPN for the sports recaps/highlights. That was the glue. So even if you didn't like hockey, or didn't like football, or tennis or whatever, you saw the highlights.

I guarantee you ESPN sportscenter's ratings are WAY WAY down over the last 10-15 years.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why?
IMO, ESPN's power and influence hasn't been weaker in decades.

10 years ago, everyone watched ESPN for the sports recaps/highlights. That was the glue. So even if you didn't like hockey, or didn't like football, or tennis or whatever, you saw the highlights.

I guarantee you ESPN sportscenter's ratings are WAY WAY down over the last 10-15 years.
no it hasn't....

no other broadcast or cable network has what ESPN Has.....

you do realize ABC is the same company as ESPN

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
no it hasn't....

I'm sure he/she does, that's been well known for a long time. This is another example of you making a nonsensical point. Sportscenter hit a 41 year low in ratings last year, I think they were/are averaging about half a million per "episode" (the main 6pm broadcast). What does ESPN being apart of the same company as ABC have to do with SC's low ratings?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm sure he/she does, that's been well known for a long time. This is another example of you making a nonsensical point. Sportscenter hit a 41 year low in ratings last year, I think they were/are averaging about half a million per "episode" (the main 6pm broadcast). What does ESPN being apart of the same company as ABC have to do with SC's low ratings?
disagree 46:

why are u whining about ESPN THEN..... don't respond to ignorant posts like does anyone watch Sportscenter

the simple answer is YES

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
disagree 46:

why are u whining about ESPN THEN..... don't respond to ignorant posts like does anyone watch Sportscenter

the simple answer is YES

What does yes mean? I’m not whining about ESPN. OP guessed that Sportscenter’s audience has diminished and facts bear that out.

Reactions: S E P H

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Think the last time I watched SportsCenter was in a hotel in Arizona the day after the NBA stopped the season last year and the pandemic really became official.

When I have 10-15 minutes free I turn on CBS Sports HQ, but overall I have no need to watch sports studio shows, better things to consume on the tube once a game ends. If I want to see highlights I find them online.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
no it hasn't....

Just because ESPN is still the biggest player in sports fandom (which pretty much consists of 85% casual fans), doesn't mean they haven't lost record number of people compared to ten years ago. There's a reason why ESPN/Disney went on a fire spree the last the couple of years. Still, NHL being on ESPN is good because it increases the percentage of casual fans willing to watch whatever sports is on for that day.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Just because ESPN is still the biggest player in sports fandom (which pretty much consists of 85% casual fans), doesn't mean they haven't lost record number of people compared to ten years ago. There's a reason why ESPN/Disney went on a fire spree the last the couple of years. Still, NHL being on ESPN is good because it increases the percentage of casual fans willing to watch whatever sports is on for that day.
casual... is not a terminology that applies to pro hockey at any level....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
casual... is not a terminology that applies to pro hockey at any level....
Agreed, hockey fans are either super hardcore or don't give a shit which is why I mention this deal is still good along with the impact that ESPN treats the sport fairly. But more casual fans watching = a higher chance a percentage of them (whatever that may be) eventually becoming hardcore fans.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Agreed, hockey fans are either super hardcore or don't give a shit which is why I mention this deal is still good along with the impact that ESPN treats the sport fairly. But more casual fans watching = a higher chance a percentage of them (whatever that may be) eventually becoming hardcore fans.
that's not casual....

u either are or you're not....

it has nothing to do with ESPN/Disney having the NHL Contract

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
First they gotta get Max Kellerman out the door. Doesn't like hockey, has no respect for the game so someone else needs to take his spot. Can't have guys like him bad mouthing the Nhl now.

I bet you ratings will go up when that happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad