Recalled/Assigned: Pouliot, Chorney recalled

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Oh, interesting. Hope it's just to be cautious in regards to the D besides Ehrhoff who is in question. Letang?

LucSZ

Aug 10, 2014
That's not good news on the Ehrhoff front. Or Maatta/Letang. I'm excited to see Pouliot but still... wish it wasn't under these circumstances.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
That's not good news on the Ehrhoff front. Or Maatta/Letang. I'm excited to see Pouliot but still... wish it wasn't under these circumstances.

It shouldn't be something that has to do with Maatta, since he has been out so long already. But yeah, hope it's more like the Zatkoff recall.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You have to think another def got injured, probably Letang, or maybe Scuderi, i remember Scuderi blocking a shot off his foot last game.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Question: is the roster freeze only in regards to trades? Or also because of callups?

Because that could explain it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Don't mind Despres getting 20+ minutes. And really interested to see how DP looks if he plays. Is he nowhere close to playing at this level or is he our Vatanen.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
WBS has a nice blueline now:

Highland Park Hockey @H_P_Hockey
The remaining #WBSPens D-core has 0 combined NHL games & little AHL exp.

McNeill (87), Goers (76), D'Agostino (56), Boak (9) & Seymour (1).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Don't mind Despres getting 20+ minutes. And really interested to see how DP looks if he plays. Is he nowhere close to playing at this level or is he our Vatanen.

It depends on the situation... he was ready to quarterback the power play two years ago but he probably shouldn't play in defensive situations.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
The roster freeze prevents teams from trading loaning or waiving players.

CBA on the matter:

(d) Holiday Roster Freeze.
(i) For all Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve, or Players with Non-Roster and Injured Non-Roster status as of 11:59 p.m. local time on December 19, a roster freeze shall apply through 12:01 a.m. local time December 28, with respect to Waivers, Trades and Loans; provided, however, that Players may be Recalled to NHL Clubs during this period and, provided further, that if a Player is placed on Regular Waivers prior to the roster freeze period and is claimed during such roster freeze period, the roster freeze period shall not apply and the Player shall immediately report to the claiming Club. However, during the roster freeze period a Club can make any Player transactions necessary for the Club to come into compliance with Article 50 as a result of a Player being removed from the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

(ii) Notwithstanding Section 16.5(d)(i), a Player on emergency Recall may be Loaned during the roster freeze period and a Player who was Recalled after December 11 may be Loaned through 11:59 p.m. local time on December 23, provided such Player is not required to be placed on Waivers during the roster freeze period in order to effectuate such Loan.

(iii) No later than ten (10) days before the holiday roster freeze, the League shall provide the NHLPA with a holiday roster freeze and restricted day memorandum.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I can see the point in freezing trades. "Merry Christmas, oh btw, you just got traded to Edmonton" is not a nice thing to say :)

But as far as calling up players during the freeze? That should absolutely be allowed. What if 4 forwards get the mumps/injuries. You supposed to play with 9 forwards a game?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Is he expected to play today? An offensively inept Florida team would be a good one for a Pouliot debut.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
One of Dumolin or Harrington being sent down and Ehrhoff injured?
Trade?

Hope Pouliot plays.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
One of Dumolin or Harrington being sent down and Ehrhoff injured?
Trade?

Hope Pouliot plays.

Trade is impossible since midnight due to the roster freeze.

I know that they liked Chorney during the preseason, so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays. Even though Pouliot has earned it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It depends on the situation... he was ready to quarterback the power play two years ago but he probably shouldn't play in defensive situations.

Vatanen was pretty rough in the D-zone as well. Just physically overwhelmed. Even now b/c he's so small. But his poise and hockey IQ allow him to more than make up for that with his transition game and PP QBing ability.

I'd like to see if DP can have a similar progression if he gets a few games with a couple D-men out. Can he learn and adjust at this level right now, basically.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
ROOT SPORTS™ | PIT @ROOTSPORTSPIT
Taylor Chorney has taken the ice wearing #44.....Derrick Pouliot # 51. -DP

Bye Orpik.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
ROOT SPORTS™ | PIT @ROOTSPORTSPIT
Letang has taken the ice....Ehrhoff has not (yet.) -DP

Dave Molinari @MolinariPG
Ehrhoff will not be participating in the game-day skate. Expected to go on IR, if he isn't there already.

Jason Mackey @Mackey_Trib
Paul Martin not on the ice for Penguins. That might explain some of the defense moves.

LionelHutz*

KADqAuG7RfWrxdmMUHPh_giphy.gif

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Vatanen was pretty rough in the D-zone as well. Just physically overwhelmed. Even now b/c he's so small. But his poise and hockey IQ allow him to more than make up for that with his transition game and PP QBing ability.

I'd like to see if DP can have a similar progression if he gets a few games with a couple D-men out. Can he learn and adjust at this level right now, basically.

DP is fine defending the rush. It's when teams start to cycle and play is along the boards, he tends to get... bored. Maybe in the NHL he will play intense hockey every shift, but that's really not his game.

DP is a stocky kid though. I think he is playing around 205-207. So if he feels like being physically engaged he can do it. His last season with the Hawks he was adding more of an edge to his game, but a lot of the time he just does a lot of puck watching in his own zone.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Jason Mackey @Mackey_Trib
With no Martin, Pouliot gets Martin's spot on PP2 for power-play rushes. Wow.

!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad