Speculation: Potential Waiver Claims: Right Defense

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I've made a list of waiver-eligible defensemen we may want to keep our eye on. All are right shooting and at least 6'0" (I want size because I don't want to see Girard, Byram, or Hunt on the bottom pair with a small guy). Ideally, whoever we claim can be a penalty killer too, but the AHL doesn't publish TOI stats. I assume bigger guys are more likely to be penalty killers.

I originally had a much longer list, but I vetted the list by searching these forums. If I found a lot of posts where people are complaining about a player and saying they suck, or penciling them into lower pairs on the AHL team, I deleted them off the list. If I found people worried about losing them to waivers, penciling them into the NHL lineup, or talking about them as an early call-up, I kept them. Not the most scientific method, but with mostly AHL guys I don't know a better way of figuring out who might be worth claiming.

NAMETEAMAGEHWCAPGPGA+/-PIMXG(rel)NHLGPNOTES
Alec RegulaBOS
23​
6'4"
203​
775kAHL: 51
5​
16​
+1
69​
22​
Nick DeSimoneCGY
28​
6'2"
190​
762kAHL: 65
8​
38​
+28
38​
4​
4 NHL games last season
Dylan CoghlanCAR
25​
6'2"
190​
850kCAR: 17
0​
2​
2​
+0.36
105​
Marcus BjörkCBJ
25​
6'3"
203​
775kCBJ: 33
3​
8​
+11
42​
+0.10
33​
AHL: 44GP; 7G 8A; -4; 18PIM
Brogan RaffertyDET
28​
6'0"
195​
775k x 2AHL: 72
9​
42​
+28
42​
3​
Philip KempEDM
24​
6'3"
201​
775k x 2AHL: 71
6​
15​
+12
51​
0​
Steven SantiniLA
28​
6'2"
205​
800kAHL: 64
2​
8​
+8
32​
123​
4 NHL games last season
Gustav LindströmMTL
24​
6'2"
187​
950kDET: 36
1​
7​
20​
128​
Last AHL game in 2021
Johnathan KovacevicMTL
26​
6'4"
208​
766k x 2MTL: 77
3​
12​
+3
39​
+0.30
81​
Unlikely to be waived
Roland McKeownNSH
27​
6'1"
194​
762kAHL: 60
6​
16​
+9
40​
16​
6 NHL games last season
Grant HuttonNYI
28​
6'3"
205​
775k x2AHL: 39
4​
6​
+1
16​
16​
Ty EmbersonNYR
23​
6'1"
195​
775kAHL: 69
7​
20​
+17
27​
0​
Taylor FedunPIT
35​
6'1"
200​
762kAHL: 58
3​
8​
22​
131​
4 NHL games last season
Leon GawankeSJ
24​
6'1"
185​
775kAHL: 68
20​
25​
51​
0​
Cale FleurySEA
24​
6'1"
205​
800k x 2SEA: 12
0​
1​
+1
2​
+0.36
62​
Brayden PachalVGK
24​
6'0"
200​
775k x 2AHL: 55
3​
12​
+5
90​
12​
10 NHL games last season
Daniil MiromanovVGK
26​
6'4"
202​
762kAHL: 31
9​
13​
10​
25​
14 NHL games last season

If anyone has opinions about any of these players, I'd love to hear it. Let's discuss which of these guys you would want the Avs to claim if they went on waivers.

Updates:
- Ty Emberson was claimed by the San Jose Sharks
- All other crossed off names have already passed through waivers.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Prefer guys playing a decent total number of NHL games including last season. Based on that, Coghlan, Bjork, and Linsdström have the most appeal.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kovacevic would fix the RHD issue for 2 years @ 766k per.

Thing is I have no clue what his value is, could be another Jeannot case. He's not hitting the waiver wire for sure.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Kovacevic would fix the RHD issue for 2 years @ 766k per.

Thing is I have no clue what his value is, could be another Jeannot case. He's not hitting the waiver wire for sure.
Yeah very unlikely to be waived. I think they'd trade him rather than waive him. Based on last year he's a relatively solid 3rd pair guy, but he has some upside and could end up a top four defenseman.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Only one that interests me on that list is Dylan Coghlan, is he actually going to be available for free?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not real keen on a waiver pickup here. Just let the roster play out and if it is an issue in January, make a trade for a rental that is a much better player.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah very unlikely to be waived. I think they'd trade him rather than waive him. Based on last year he's a relatively solid 3rd pair guy, but he has some upside and could end up a top four defenseman.
The funniest thing about Kovacevic is that Winnipeg have been crying out for RHD forever and then go and lose one on waivers

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Not real keen on a waiver pickup here. Just let the roster play out and if it is an issue in January, make a trade for a rental that is a much better player.
Would you be happy to play Malinski on the 3rd pair until January?

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Would you be happy to play Malinski on the 3rd pair until January?

The third pairing is Girard-JMFJ when healthy. We're talking about the guy eating nachos who just happens to be a right shot. When not healthy, Malinski isn't the only option either. Hunt Schu, Ahcan, etc can step into the lineup and somebody is on their off hand. Just not a position I think a high priority should be placed on.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The third pairing is Girard-JMFJ when healthy. We're talking about the guy eating nachos who just happens to be a right shot. When not healthy, Malinski isn't the only option either. Hunt Schu, Ahcan, etc can step into the lineup and somebody is on their off hand. Just not a position I think a high priority should be placed on.
I'm not real comfortable with either G or JJ playing on their off side. I'm also not comfortable with JJ being a regular in his advanced age. Hunt, might be fine for a while, but him being the teams 3rd RHD is just asking for trouble.

Reactions: Balthazar and MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not real comfortable with either G or JJ playing on their off side. I'm also not comfortable with JJ being a regular in his advanced age. Hunt, might be fine for a while, but him being the teams 3rd RHD is just asking for trouble.
JJ has done it for years and years at a level no worse than he normally is. (please see the qualification there :laugh:)

None of these guys are really any better than JMFJ besides Kovacevic who isn't getting waived anyway. If you're uncomfortable with where we are today, you'll be uncomfortable with any of these guys. The solution here is a rental late to shore up the team or an actual trade. There isn't a guy here who makes the Avs significantly better. I say this as a guy who rather likes Miromanov and thinks there is a NHLer with him.

To me, when the bottom falls out in Philly, pay for 50% retention on Walker and send Dermy packing. If you want to aim a bit higher and more complicated, work for double retention on Dumba near the deadline. Those are two guys who can fill the bottom pairing role well and not break the bank.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

The Avs likely won't ice a fully healthy D group many times this year if previous years are any indication. Makar and Manson are already nursing injuries before the season even starts. Byram has been out more often than not. JJ is like 50 years old. Girard and Toews usually suffer some niggles.

Currently the Avs depth behind JJ and Hunt consists of completely unproven guys. Having another Dman who can step in and do a job when injuries inevitably occur clearly wouldn't be a bad idea.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs likely won't ice a fully healthy D group many times this year if previous years are any indication. Makar and Manson are already nursing injuries before the season even starts. Byram has been out more often than not. JJ is like 50 years old. Girard and Toews usually suffer some niggles.

Currently the Avs depth behind JJ and Hunt consists of completely unproven guys. Having another Dman who can step in and do a job when injuries inevitably occur clearly wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm sure they won't have a fully healthy D. 7th/8th D across the league frequently play 30-50 games. Avs will be no different. I don't like Dermy as a defensemen, but he's played there. Hunt has a lot of games. Schu will get games (and look better than people think). I also think Ahcan and Middleton have upside for this role.

None of these names here, except the few that won't be waived and Miromanov... are appreciably better than what the Avs already have.

Alongside this, when we are talking depth... the Avs simply don't have a ton of room. The Avs with a 13-7-2 split have about a half million in room if Frank isn't on LTIR. When he does go on LTIR, you open up some room... but as soon as he's off, you're waiving somebody at that point. Likely the guy picked up here to expose him to being lost. Which defeats the purpose of the depth.

If you're trying to shore up organizational depth, the better move is to trade for a guy who cleared waivers. Stuff him in Windsor for until needed and then use the waivers exemption to slog through for a while.

Reactions: Richard88

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
JJ has done it for years and years at a level no worse than he normally is. (please see the qualification there :laugh:)

None of these guys are really any better than JMFJ besides Kovacevic who isn't getting waived anyway. If you're uncomfortable with where we are today, you'll be uncomfortable with any of these guys. The solution here is a rental late to shore up the team or an actual trade. There isn't a guy here who makes the Avs significantly better. I say this as a guy who rather likes Miromanov and thinks there is a NHLer with him.

To me, when the bottom falls out in Philly, pay for 50% retention on Walker and send Dermy packing. If you want to aim a bit higher and more complicated, work for double retention on Dumba near the deadline. Those are two guys who can fill the bottom pairing role well and not break the bank.
Actually I would feel more comfortable with a few of these guys over Hunt and JJ. It's not because of skill, I just don't trust a 35 and 36 when they get cought in their own end to have the stamina. I'd rather have someone close to 25 than 40.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I wouldn't expect any of them to be better than our current crop of top 6 defensemen. Heck I wouldn't even expect them to be better than Hunt. The reason I made the list and want one these guys claimed is because if Manson is hurt (likely) and with EJ now gone, we're going to be in desperate need for a big right handed defenseman who can at least play bottom pair minutes. Also, as of how, who is the designated nacho eater? Hunt? He's the Eagles captain. I'd rather claim someone who can spell JFMJ and jump into the lineup when there are injuries. I also trust the Avs pro scouts to be able to look at this list and find someone the coaching staff could turn into an everyday player, so maybe we have someone to replace JMFJ next season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't expect any of them to be better than our current crop of top 6 defensemen. Heck I wouldn't even expect them to be better than Hunt. The reason I made the list and want one these guys claimed is because if Manson is hurt (likely) and with EJ now gone, we're going to be in desperate need for a big right handed defenseman who can at least play bottom pair minutes. Also, as of how, who is the designated nacho eater? Hunt? He's the Eagles captain. I'd rather claim someone who can spell JFMJ and jump into the lineup when there are injuries. I also trust the Avs pro scouts to be able to look at this list and find someone the coaching staff could turn into an everyday player, so maybe we have someone to replace JMFJ next season.
Eagles captaincy doesn't stop the Avs from having a guy up... historically, it actually means that guy is with the Avs more. :laugh:

The list of guys the Avs can turn into an everyday NHL player has two guys who the Avs already have in the fold. Middleton and Schu. Those are the depth call up guys for roles (Ahcan if it is G that is hurt).
Actually I would feel more comfortable with a few of these guys over Hunt and JJ. It's not because of skill, I just don't trust a 35 and 36 when they get cought in their own end to have the stamina. I'd rather have someone close to 25 than 40.
JMFJ is playing that role as long as he's healthy. You can wish it away, but that's his spot.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Eagles captaincy doesn't stop the Avs from having a guy up... historically, it actually means that guy is with the Avs more. :laugh:

The list of guys the Avs can turn into an everyday NHL player has two guys who the Avs already have in the fold. Middleton and Schu. Those are the depth call up guys for roles (Ahcan if it is G that is hurt).

JMFJ is playing that role as long as he's healthy. You can wish it away, but that's his spot.
Are you aware that all the guys you listed as being able to "play this role" are left shooters? I know some guys are fine playing their off side, but it certainly seems to negatively affect the play of most.
With our top 6 all healthy we have only two righties, and both are already dealing with injuries. Frankly, I'd just like another big right handed defenseman on the team. The only guy in our depth with any real size is Middleton, so it's also not just about handedness
Also, the wheels are bound to fall off Jack Johnson at some point, so I'd like an insurance policy/replacement.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't see the Avs trading a 1st+ for a dman like David Savard or Ben Chiarot at the deadline. Which is what these 2 players costed at the deadline recently.

None of these guys are really any better than JMFJ besides Kovacevic who isn't getting waived anyway.
I'd rather trade for him now than trade for someone at the deadline.

2 years at 766k for a righty with size who can PK is worth a lot to us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Are you aware that all the guys you listed as being able to "play this role" are left shooters? I know some guys are fine playing their off side, but it certainly seems to negatively affect the play of most.
With our top 6 all healthy we have only two righties, and both are already dealing with injuries. Frankly, I'd just like another big right handed defenseman on the team. The only guy in our depth with any real size is Middleton, so it's also not just about handedness
Also, the wheels are bound to fall off Jack Johnson at some point, so I'd like an insurance policy/replacement.

Yeah I’m aware… left shot guys have played their off side many times in their careers. Not worried about what shot they are. Getting a random AHL right shot guy won't do anything to change the dynamics of this team.

Insurance can be bought later. Getting bottom pairing D is easy and cheap. Getting one off waivers today that has to stay in the NHL limits flexibility and doesn't add anything.

I don't see the Avs trading a 1st+ for a dman like David Savard or Ben Chiarot at the deadline. Which is what these 2 players costed at the deadline recently.

I'd rather trade for him now than trade for someone at the deadline.

2 years at 766k for a righty with size who can PK is worth a lot to us.
Kovacevic would likely cost way more than people would want to spend on a RD because of that contract. He's a 16 minute guy on a good team that likely would cost upwards of a 2nd+ prospect, 2 2nds sort of guy.

Getting a bottom pairing guy for a 25 3rd at the deadline fits what the Avs would need (provided Manson and Makar are healthy) and fit with their comfort level of moving assets.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I’m aware… left shot guys have played their off side many times in their careers. Not worried about what shot they are. Getting a random AHL right shot guy won't do anything to change the dynamics of this team.

Insurance can be bought later. Getting bottom pairing D is easy and cheap. Getting one off waivers today that has to stay in the NHL limits flexibility and doesn't add anything.
Okay let's see...
- I'm worried about what shot they are because our AHL guys may all suck on their off side, and we already know Girard for one is significantly worse on the right side.
- I think a big physical guy who can kill penalties certainly changes the dynamics of this team, especially if there is an injury to JJ or Manson. Right now the only guy in our depth who potentially provides that is Middleton. By brining in a waiver claim from the list, I'd be adding specifically to our "big penalty-killer" depth.
- I'm sure how easy and cheap it is to get a big right shot defenseman, even for the bottom pair.
- I agree a waiver claim limits flexibility somewhat, but we need a 7th D so that's the spot he can take in the NHL. And if it doesn't work out, we can just waive him again. That's a form of flexibility.
- I disagree that getting a player off waivers doesn't add anything, but I've already explained that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Okay let's see...
- I'm worried about what shot they are because our AHL guys may all suck on their off side, and we already know Girard for one is significantly worse on the right side.
- I think a big physical guy who can kill penalties certainly changes the dynamics of this team, especially if there is an injury to JJ or Manson. Right now the only guy in our depth who potentially provides that is Middleton. By brining in a waiver claim from the list, I'd be adding specifically to our "big penalty-killer" depth.
- I'm sure how easy and cheap it is to get a big right shot defenseman, even for the bottom pair.
- I agree a waiver claim limits flexibility somewhat, but we need a 7th D so that's the spot he can take in the NHL. And if it doesn't work out, we can just waive him again. That's a form of flexibility.
- I disagree that getting a player off waivers doesn't add anything, but I've already explained that.
G isn't the only guy that can move over... Toews, Byram, and JMFJ have played the right side a lot over the years. Most left shot guys have done it over the years just due to the natural scarcity of right shots.

Middleton is that sort of guy, but just being 6' doesn't mean a player can't play that sort of role. Mostly, 'big penalty killer depth' guys are code for the can't skate or move the puck.

You can find lots of examples of these types of defensemen being moved for a mid round pick.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Many lefties played on the right side in junior but you won't find a single coach in the NHL who likes to play a lefty on the right side. Even Bednar said it in the past that he doesn't like it because NHL speed put them at a pretty overwhelming disadvantage.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
G isn't the only guy that can move over... Toews, Byram, and JMFJ have played the right side a lot over the years. Most left shot guys have done it over the years just due to the natural scarcity of right shots.

Middleton is that sort of guy, but just being 6' doesn't mean a player can't play that sort of role. Mostly, 'big penalty killer depth' guys are code for the can't skate or move the puck.

You can find lots of examples of these types of defensemen being moved for a mid round pick.
Yes, I watch the games too. I know Toews, Byram and JMFJ have played the right side effectively, but all three are going to be better and more comfortable on their natural side. I'm not talking about whether left D can play on their off side. I'm talking about avoiding forcing too many of them to do so, especially our AHL call-ups.

Also, why on earth would I want the Avs to get a guy who can't skate or move the puck? I wasn't aware I needed to add "doesn't suck at hockey" to the description "big penalty killer", but here, I'll do it for you: I would like the Avs to improve their depth in terms of big, penalty killing defenseman who can skate reasonably well and are able to move the puck when called upon to do so. Of the 19 guys I listed, I'd hope that describes as least a few of them.

Yes, we can sure find one for a mid round pick. How about a 3rd next year? Nope already traded it. a 5th? Same. So that leaves a 4th (meaning we only have 3 total picks in the next draft (assuming we don't trade our 1st), or we dip into 2025 again (we already traded our 2nd). OR we could just pick one up for free when they go on waivers in a few days. And if we turn them into a good player, maybe we can trade them for picks instead of the other way around.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, I watch the games too. I know Toews, Byram and JMFJ have played the right side effectively, but all three are going to be better and more comfortable on their natural side. I'm not talking about whether left D can play on their off side. I'm talking about avoiding forcing too many of them to do so, especially our AHL call-ups.

Also, why on earth would I want the Avs to get a guy who can't skate or move the puck? I wasn't aware I needed to add "doesn't suck at hockey" to the description "big penalty killer", but here, I'll do it for you: I would like the Avs to improve their depth in terms of big, penalty killing defenseman who can skate reasonably well and are able to move the puck when called upon to do so. Of the 19 guys I listed, I'd hope that describes as least a few of them.

Yes, we can sure find one for a mid round pick. How about a 3rd next year? Nope already traded it. a 5th? Same. So that leaves a 4th (meaning we only have 3 total picks in the next draft (assuming we don't trade our 1st), or we dip into 2025 again (we already traded our 2nd). OR we could just pick one up for free when they go on waivers in a few days. And if we turn them into a good player, maybe we can trade them for picks instead of the other way around.

We are talking about one guy moving over beyond what is already expected (JMFJ). It isn't like they are asking all of them to do it for every game.

If a player is a big penalty killer type that is a right shot, can skate and can move the puck... they are simply not on this list. They are in the NHL for good. Teams don't let those guys waste away.

Avs move those picks all the time and prospects can be moved too. They have the whole middle set in 2025.

Many lefties played on the right side in junior but you won't find a single coach in the NHL who likes to play a lefty on the right side. Even Bednar said it in the past that he doesn't like it because NHL speed put them at a pretty overwhelming disadvantage.
In an ideal world, that is what coaches want. But the world isn't ideal. In any given year there are about 65-80 RD capable of playing in the NHL for the whole season. You'll get plenty of call ups or 15 games stints, but legit full time NHLers... somewhere in that realm. Which basically means half the teams in the NHL have a full set of RD. Half of them are rolling with 2. Avs are in the 2 group this year.

Too many coaches overthink this too. Guys like Brodie who is a left shot, is just better on the right side. Weegar is a right shot that is better on the left. Those two specifically has struggle on their strong hand, yet coaches do like to force it because in theory it is better.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
We are talking about one guy moving over beyond what is already expected (JMFJ). It isn't like they are asking all of them to do it for every game.

If a player is a big penalty killer type that is a right shot, can skate and can move the puck... they are simply not on this list. They are in the NHL for good. Teams don't let those guys waste away.

Avs move those picks all the time and prospects can be moved too. They have the whole middle set in 2025.
If Makar and Manson are injured, how is that one guy moving over? That would be 3 D every night playing their off side unless Malinski and Nate Clurman (our only RD in the minors) are the call-ups.

I know you know a lot about hockey and watch it a lot more than I do, but I seriously doubt you know that much about all 19 players on the list. I wonder if we have different definitions of "can skate" and "can move the puck". I'm talking about 7th D levels of both of those things. Somewhere between JMFJ and Kurtis MacDermid. With the rest of our D core, all we need is someone who is not a liability out there, then pair them with Byram or G or even Hunt depending on how deep we're going with injuries.

As for team not letting those guys waste away, I think you are heavily overrating how smart NHL teams are. Also, some teams simply don't have the spots available because they already have established NHL players taking those spots. Let's imagine, say, Brady Keeper (I pretty much chose someone at random) fits my description. He doesn't produce any real offense but (let's imagine), he kills penalties, plays tough, can skate reasonably well, and makes a good first pass. Who is he beating in Montreal for a roster spot given that description? Or how about a guy like Alex Petrovic? He just put up a season with 27 points, so presumably he can move the puck a bit. If he kills penalties and can skate, he ticks all the boxes, but I can understand why he'd still be in the AHL if teams see him as an AHL veteran at age 31, given he hasn't even been called up for a game since 2019. To be clear, I've never seen these particular players in action, but replace those names with others on the list and we can probably come up with scenarios where they'd fit what I'd be looking for.

Lastly, yes the Avs move those picks all the time, and I'm sure most of them will be gone eventually, but why waste these picks when there are a selection of potentially useful players on very reasonable contracts available for free?

Edit: The last part wasn't addressed to me, but I want to reply anyway.

Just because lots of players play on their offside, doesn't mean the Avs should just shrug and accept that at points this season almost all of their D will be lefties. Why not try to create as close to an ideal situation as possible. Also, yes there are exceptions, and when one of the Avs D shows they are better on their off side those examples will become relevant.

P.S. A few posts ago I was just going to say "lets agree to disagree" but I'm glad I didn't. I'm enjoying this discussion and hope you are too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3