Potential UFA's if CBA not settled (2003 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
I'm thinking it's whoever is born prior to June 1.

My thinking was that even Mike Richards and Jeff Carter would've had to re-enter the draft this year... if they hadn't been signed by Philly and it was just a regular year.

Edit: Just look at Nick Boynton's birth date.

I'm pretty sure all of this free agent talk only came to the forefront because of people speculating about what happens if there is no draft. I think all players born in 1985 and drafted in 2003 are in the same boat.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Boomhower said:
My thinking was that even Mike Richards and Jeff Carter would've had to re-enter the draft this year... if they hadn't been signed by Philly and it was just a regular year.

Edit: Just look at Nick Boynton's birth date.

I'm pretty sure all of this free agent talk only came to the forefront because of people speculating about what happens if there is no draft. I think all players born in 1985 and drafted in 2003 are in the same boat.
If someone knows, hopefully they can correct me/us.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
It's not too hard to figure out what he's saying unless you're just looking to stir things up. Seabrook, Montreal, ahahaha, in a topic about 2003 draftees that could become UFAs.... Whatever could he be talking about?

54Fisticuffs

Jan 10, 2005
I am comfortable with the thought that the NHL will not simply let teams lose their previous draft picks, when the league essentially prevented the teams from being able to sign them.

My guess, the new CBA bumps the age 1 year to obtain free agency.

Since nobody can sign a player till the new CBA is in, and none of those players went through two drafts yet ... their rights would stay with their original team for 1 more year.

If a team does sign one of them, then fight it in the courts .. issue a compensatory pick to the losing team that fits in before the signing teams first round pick, or punish them for a violation of section 26 in the CBA by stripping them of their 1st round picks for 3 years, AND nullify the contract.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
These players may technically become UFAs if the lockout continues, but it wont matter one tiny bit due to the glaring fact that players CANT BE SIGNED DURING THE LOCKOUT!!

I guarantee the new deal will give teams time to sign these players. The 4 Hawks mentioned in the first post (Seabrook, Crawford, Frasier, Byfuglien) all fit into the Hawks future plans and they arent going anywhere.

This thread is just to give silly Make Belief's fans a hope at adding to their tiny stable of prospects.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
Does Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Getzlaf, Anthony Stewart, Corey Perry and Braydon Coburn had a contract?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
The NHL has already stated that they wouldn't let teams lose their drafted players if the CBA wasn't renewed by the time they were FAs.

the league has no intention of making them free agents and will extend the deadline to sign them whenever the lockout ends (since teams can't sign them during the lockout), but the unknown which the nhl has no control over is if any of the players takes the league to court to sue for UFA status. if a court ruled they were free agents then the league couldn't do anything...its a very unlikely scenario but could happen.

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
04' hockey said:
Wouldn't teams like Toronto and Montreal fare better if they had just DRAFTED BETTER, like Clarke has done with Philly??

:p:

:flyers

Humm, not sure if that's sarcasm or not. But Montreal isn't complaining about their mix of prospects, and our first rounder from this draft is signed and in the AHL.
No doubt about it, this draft was awesome for Philly, but we still probably have the deeper group of kids.

And this isn't a team-bashing thread. I personally feel that this won't happen, even though I doubt we'll see any hockey till next January or so. It would just be too much chaos, kinda like seeing this year's draft crop become UFA's.

A Good Flying Bird*

DownFromNJ said:
The NHL has already stated that they wouldn't let teams lose their drafted players if the CBA wasn't renewed by the time they were FAs.

Well, they can't have it both ways.
For instance, teams will want elapsed time to count against existing contracts.
But they won't want elapsed time to count against unsigned prospects.

Not sure they'll can get it both ways. And if they get the first scenario, the second scenario would be tough to win in court.

leafaholix*

This list has been made assuming the lockout runs through June 1, these players would become UFA's and would be available for signing once the CBA is settled.

So don't post that you can't sign players during the lockout, that's an obvious.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
GuiG said:
Does Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Getzlaf, Anthony Stewart, Corey Perry and Braydon Coburn had a contract?

Yes Ducks didn't take any chances and signed their two junior stars Getz and Perry.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Tim Ramholt of the Flames is a potential UFA I believe.
I wouldn't think so, he was drafted out of Europe was he not? I think the Flames have his rights for some time.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
I wouldn't think so, he was drafted out of Europe was he not? I think the Flames have his rights for some time.

all players drafted out of Europe are retained by the club for life, unless the club releases them, or they sign a contract. Calle Steen has been with the wings since like 99,98, and they still hold his rights because he hasn't crossed the pond with a contract.

I dont know how it works if they come over and play in the CHL though, it gets a little gray.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Its amazing how all the fans of teams with no prospect depth actually somehow expect their team sign players during a time where teams are NOT ALLOWED TO SIGN PLAYERS :lol :lol :lol

All you Leafs and Wings fans make me laugh :joker: :D

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
theBob said:
Its amazing how all the fans of teams with no prospect depth actually somehow expect their team sign players during a time where teams are NOT ALLOWED TO SIGN PLAYERS :lol :lol :lol

All you Leafs and Wings fans make me laugh :joker: :D

who said they expected their team to sign them right now? Zetterberg40 didn't. By the way, the teams with little prospect depth actually have a good team so you might not want to laugh too hard until your team gets into the playoffs.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
My only question to those people who are so sure that teams will not be able to lose their picks is why did some teams rush to get their guys signed before the old cba expired (like Clagary with Phaneuf and others) when in fact if they would have waited till the new cba is in place they could have signed these guys to cheaper entry level contracts? I actually am highly doubtful these guys will be going anywhere but it seems that some teams thought there was some possibility that it could happen and didnt want to take that risk.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

How come Peter Hamerlik re-entered the draft two years after being drafted out of Europe?

The situation changes if they come play in the CHL I believe. I remember there being some talk that the Sedins could come play major junior and be UFA's in two years because of their birthdates.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
I can't believe this is being argued again. :banghead: These players are not going to be free agents.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Juicer said:
I can't believe this is being argued again. :banghead: These players are not going to be free agents.

I think simply asking which players could possibly become free agents is harmless.

What about all the college seniors coming out this year that will be FA's as well? I know Philly will have 3 in Bruckler, Mormina and Grumet-Morris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad