Proposal: Potential Long term Goalie solutions

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah stay the course. It’s not like we are going to get anything more than a slight upgrade on Gillies/Parsons/Rittich for anything less than a kings ransom.

If there is a swap like Gillies + Gawdin for a guy like Anton Forsberg, and our management thinks that he can be the future, sure. But I just think goalies are mysterious, hard to predict and ours are producing at a pretty high level compared to similar aged prospects.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah stay the course. It’s not like we are going to get anything more than a slight upgrade on Gillies/Parsons/Rittich for anything less than a kings ransom.

If there is a swap like Gillies + Gawdin for a guy like Anton Forsberg, and our management thinks that he can be the future, sure. But I just think goalies are mysterious, hard to predict and ours are producing at a pretty high level compared to similar aged prospects.
Is Anton Forsberg really an upgrade? His numbers were marginally better at best. Slightly higher SV% and slightly higher GAA than Rittich, he's also just 3 months younger than Rittich, so I'm not sure you can bank on potential either.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t mean Forsberg specifically. Just someone, if our scouts think he is an upgrade.

I am not going to pretend I know much about other teams goalie prospects

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don’t mean Forsberg specifically. Just someone, if our scouts think he is an upgrade.

I am not going to pretend I know much about other teams goalie prospects
Fair enough. I've seen Forsberg mentioned before and based on numbers, it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense. I personally think Gillies will emerge this year.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Had an interesting discussion with a buddy yesterday during the game. His favorite option if Smith falters/is injured and the young guys don't step up is to go after James Reimer. Now his availability I'm not sure I buy 100%, but he could be a nice option moving forward. 3.4 cap hit for three more years including this one, plays about 40 games a year, could be a nice 1A/1B combo with one of our young goalies, or even Smith.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm completely willing to give Rittich and Gillies another year to prove they can take over for Smith. The Flames aren't going to be Cup contenders this year so we have time. Patience my friend. Patience.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Had an interesting discussion with a buddy yesterday during the game. His favorite option if Smith falters/is injured and the young guys don't step up is to go after James Reimer. Now his availability I'm not sure I buy 100%, but he could be a nice option moving forward. 3.4 cap hit for three more years including this one, plays about 40 games a year, could be a nice 1A/1B combo with one of our young goalies, or even Smith.

I think we get a better picture here at camp.
I guess Flames think that Gillies is the guy to backup Smithy this year, which means Ritter and Parsons have a lot to prove at home.

I really like Parsons. I think he's the goalie of the future in Calgary. Personally, if we have problems AGAIN this year, I'd want Tre to go out and get a goalie instead of band-aids. We've done the Bandage + Patience route for 4 years now. It hasn't worked out. Spend a bit more, get a guy who can win games for you. Smith was perfect to start last season, that injury killed us... but we just need average goaltending; once we went to far below average the wheels fell off.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Our goaltending is fine. Our backups need to play on the nights we need them to, Smith is a physical freak, dude will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad