Proposal: Potential Long term Goalie solutions

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Dog days of summer are here, and I'm bored. Therefore, wanted to take a quick look around the league and see what's around as a long term solution for goaltending post Smith.

Obvious answer would be growth from within from Rittich, Gilles, Parsons, etc. But assuming none of them step up, what are our options?

Current notable free agents as it stands for next summer that could be more than a stop gap addition:

Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Talbot (lol)

I suspect Bob would be the the best addition, but probably costs the most in terms of $$$. Varlamov would be a nice move, but his injury history is concerning for sure. Talbot, well either he's played his way out of Edmonton or he's bounced back and likely not available.

This leads us to trade options.

Somewhat realistic options are as far as I can see as far as ready #1 guys are:

Price (though I don't really see it happening)
Grubauer (if they re-sign Varlamov)
Allen

Doesn't feel like whole lot of options out there for trade honestly.

For young guys its definitely more of a gamble, but there are a few out there:

Sparks
Korpisalo (if Bobrovsky re-signs in Columbus)
Jarry
Samsonov (though I think he's Holtby's replacement long term, though that could make Holtby available in the future)
Husso (I think he's St. Louis's hopeful starter in a year or two)
Subban
Campbell
Dell (doubtful imo)

Some solid names here, feels like most won't be available though. Not for a price we likely want to pay.

It certainly feels like goaltending is a bit thin for the next few years. Inevitably some young guys will throw their hats in the ring, but if Treliving has to find a more permanent solution than Smith after this season for whatever reason, I do not envy his options.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm fine having a focused conversation on goalies. I think Flames management really needs this year to evaluate the problem, though. For all we know, we could be two months away from seeing one of Gillies or Rittich completely seize the reins and take over as an elite NHL starting goalie while Mike Smith inexplicably loses his talent. Or Smith could turn back the clock and win the Vezina, earning an extension. It's just hard to know. Most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that Rittich and Gillies are decent back-ups, but can't be trusted as starters, and may never be, while Parsons has a decent season in the minors, but also isn't ready for the NHL, so we look at a stop-gap option again for next season and do it on the cheap, like we have been.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think we are in a cap situation where it behooves us to see if Gillies, Rittich or Parsons (or perhaps another young goalie) is capable of being a starter long term. Smith's current cap space would go a long way in helping us lock up guys like Tkachuk (and hopefully Bennett) long term.

I'd like to see Rittich and Gillies get some solid opportunity this season and if they falter then maybe we start looking elsewhere. I don't think a guy like Bob is a realistic solution for us though because of the cap implications.

There is also the possibility that Smith has a lot left in the tank and will be worth re-signing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tre will go down the cheap route as we always seem to go. That being said, getting a heavyweight goalie would be nasty.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I see us ending up with Varly. We missed the boat on Grubauer because of the Hamonic trade imo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I see us ending up with Varly. We missed the boat on Grubauer because of the Hamonic trade imo
We missed out on Grubauer because we weren't in a position to buyout Orpik. Caps reportedly turned down better offers because of that reason.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
In the short term, the reality is, there aren't any good longterm solutions out there.

The goalies that are or might potentially be available now and/or next summer and are currently starters (Andersson, Howard, Varlamov, Schneider, Rinne, Smith, Talbot) are all some combination of older, injury prone, and inconsistent. So more of the same. There's also Bobrovsky but I don't see the Flames being in a spot to take on his likely cap hit (8M+).

There's a whole pile of goalies behind them (Bernier, Greiss, Neuvirth, Nilsson, Khudobin, Condon, Hutton, etc) that are essentially career backups or at best, 1B starters. Can't imagine anyone wanting Hiller/Ramo redux.

There's some young goalies with potential out there (Jarry, Korpisalo, Pickard, Samsonov) but all of them are still fairly risky bets if thrown into a starter role. So, maybe 1A's but probably more like 1B's. .

So basically, Treliving really won't have much of a choice but to go after another stop gap next year. Either he brings in an older goalie to tend the pipes until he can acquire a more permanent solution/someone within the organization steps up or he gambles on a younger option or he tries another tandem option. None of these are likely to be pretty.

Future's kind of bleak in this regard unless a Parsons/Rittich/Gillies can turn into a legit starter sooner than later.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Man all those options are pretty bad. Prefer Dell the most out of everything listed. I don't like paying a lot for a goalie in either trade or cap hit. The Flames have went with the stop gap method for a while now and despite it's poor results I think it was the right choice. Though I would of given up more than the Coyotes did for Raanta and more than the Avs did for Grubauer. As long as Smith has a decent year I can definitely see them bringing him back on another 1-2 year deal. Think he's a decent enough mentor for the younger goalies they have coming up, works and competes very hard, plays the puck with a lot of confidence, and really doesn't let a bad goal or game get to him.

Still hoping Parsons can develop well enough to become the starter someday but that's still at least a couple years away.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Whatever random goalie comes out of nowhere to take over. Goalies are a slot machine. There's probably an undrafted goalie that no one has ever heard of playing in Europe right now who will win the Vezina in 2020-21.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think we will either:

A) See a young goalie in the organization step up and show they can be a starter.

B) See Smith have a stellar season and be re-signed on a 2 year deal.

C) We sign Bobrovsky. He’s hands down the best and only long term viable option that can play at an elite level (other than Smith).

D) We take a gamble on Allen if he’s cheap, but I’m not at all sold on him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Antoine Bibeau. The SJS' 3rd stringer. It might work out for both clubs again. ;)

7th round pick

Jan 9, 2016
them (Bernier, Greiss, Neuvirth, Nilsson, Khudobin, Condon, Hutton, etc) that are essentially career backups or at best, 1B starters. Can't imagine anyone wanting Hiller/Ramo redux.

There's some young goalies with potential out there (Jarry, Korpisalo, Pickard, Samsonov) but all of them are still fairly risky bets if thrown into a starter role. So, maybe 1A's but probably more like 1B's. .

I wanted bernier on a 1-2 year deal so we had some kind of insurance if smith goes down again, but 3x3 was too rich for my liking . I was kinda open to a carolina fan suggesting a Scott Darling w/20% retention (3.3mx3) for Troy brouwer (4.5mx2) deal but if he plays like he did last year rittich is a definite upgrade. I dont hate the 1a/1b idea just when we had hiller ramo it had a more 2a/2b feeling then a 1a/1b.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames will re-sign Smith to a either year deal, or a pair of 1 year deals. This will give Gillies more time to become NHL ready. We have to think the Flames think Gillies is close since they gave him a 1-way deal in the second year of his contract this summer.

This is what I think the Flames are hoping for.

2018-19: Smith - Gillies (70-30 split)
2019-20: Smith - Gillies (60-40 split)
2020-21: Gillies - Smith (60-40 split)
2021-22: Gillies - Parsons (70-30 split)

After that, if they feel parsons will be a better starter, he could supplant Gillies.
But as we all know hopes and reality can be far from the same.

If things go off the rails this year, that plan could be delayed with the acquisition of a starting goaltender or a potential future starting goaltender. You have to think would inquire about Bobrovsky, Varlamov and Talbot. Guys like Kinkaid, Dell & Subban could be in the mix if they have strong years. If Dell & Kinkaid have strong enough years, perhaps Jones or Schneider could be had.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd like to sign Bobrovsky next off season, that way we have an elite starter signed for a long time. How ever I don't see him fitting into the cap structure here with Tkachuk needing an extension next off season as well.

9i4fqht.jpg

This is based on Bennett having a fairly decent break out year (45-50 points), signing Hanifin this year to a $5.5 mil contract, Tkachuk continuing to improve and then obviously trading Frolik and Stone for draft picks to open up some cap space.

I think most of my predictions occur in regards to contract re-signings and potentially off loading Frolik and Stone, so if they all went down (I know they won't though) that leaves the Flames with $5.7 in cap space for a starting goalie and literally no other cap space. We ain't getting Bob for $5.7 mil, but should still be able to sign a decent starter pending Smith or a prospect having a breakout year.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Flames will re-sign Smith to a either year deal, or a pair of 1 year deals. This will give Gillies more time to become NHL ready. We have to think the Flames think Gillies is close since they gave him a 1-way deal in the second year of his contract this summer.

This is what I think the Flames are hoping for.

2018-19: Smith - Gillies (70-30 split)
2019-20: Smith - Gillies (60-40 split)
2020-21: Gillies - Smith (60-40 split)
2021-22: Gillies - Parsons (70-30 split)

After that, if they feel parsons will be a better starter, he could supplant Gillies.
But as we all know hopes and reality can be far from the same.

If things go off the rails this year, that plan could be delayed with the acquisition of a starting goaltender or a potential future starting goaltender. You have to think would inquire about Bobrovsky, Varlamov and Talbot. Guys like Kinkaid, Dell & Subban could be in the mix if they have strong years. If Dell & Kinkaid have strong enough years, perhaps Jones or Schneider could be had.

Probably right. This was both from a perspective of if the young guys don't step up and Smith's age finally catches up with him, but you probably have the most realistic take on it.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
There's not any projected number 1 goalie in your depth chart, so you have two solutions :

- get one via trades or free agency
- draft

Get good goalie via drafting is a long process, most realistically, you will go after a young back up willing to grab his chance to be #1.

Guys like Saros, Hart or Lyon for example.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's not any projected number 1 goalie in your depth chart, so you have two solutions :

- get one via trades or free agency
- draft

Get good goalie via drafting is a long process, most realistically, you will go after a young back up willing to grab his chance to be #1.

Guys like Saros, Hart or Lyon for example.
The fact you have Lyon ahead of Gilliies and Parsons is downright laughable. Gillies and Parsons have this same pedigrees and Hellebyuck but haven't yet fluked out to a great season

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
the flames taking the cheap method with goalies is the only good thing they've done in a while, so I hope they keep doing that

Tyler Parsons has potential. OHL starters with a >.920 save percentage tend to do well in the big league, relatively speaking

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad