RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
well I said if we can add these guys:

Riley Nash - $3 mil per
De Haan - $4 mil per
Raanta - $2.25 per

$10 mil signed to fix our holes...that is still with AA and Seabs here - that leaves us over $6mil not including Hossa and his money coming off the books...

so, no, I am not worried plenty of room to sign these guys and the Cat and Schmaltz - can always move out AA and his $4.5 mil as well....but I want to win again, and that really isn't happening unless we bring in some NHL pieces especially a top 4 dman

I see where you're coming from, and I get why you're saying it. I'm all for overpaying these guys if it means one or two year deals. A three year+ deal is where I get really concerned.

Also, I'm guessing your De Haan signing hinges on Forsling not turning into a top-4 defenseman next year - or the following year. If the organization believes he's not there, and won't get there anytime soon, I'm okay with the De Haan move.

As for Nash, I'm okay with swapping his $3 million in if he can play a good third line center role that sends Anisimov's $4.5 mil per out.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I see where you're coming from, and I get why you're saying it. I'm all for overpaying these guys if it means one or two year deals. A three year+ deal is where I get really concerned.

Also, I'm guessing your De Haan signing hinges on Forsling not turning into a top-4 defenseman next year - or the following year. If the organization believes he's not there, and won't get there anytime soon, I'm okay with the De Haan move.

As for Nash, I'm okay with swapping his $3 million in if he can play a good third line center role that sends Anisimov's $4.5 mil per out.

the length is the reality of the league now. you are simply not getting players for 1-2 year deals unless the following: you own their rights as a RFA and it is a prove it type deal...
they are on their last legs and want one more contract
had a few down years and just looking to stick and not go to Europe

outside of that/injury concerns, not many 1-2 year deals get handed out for proven NHL players.

I understand your concerns, but 3 years hardly scares me anymore after looking at the length of contracts we have handed out lol! And as I said, if you want to get help, you have to play the game and hand out some term.

For me De Haan/John Moore is a must add. I have no real care for Forsling, I don't see it with him really. This team needs a proven top 4 defensemen, either one of those aren't the most ideal but most suitable in our price range to land. So regardless if Forsling stays or goes, this team needs help on defense.

Nash is the perfect 2nd/3rd liner that can fluctuate whatever role we need. I have wanted to get this guy all year- he can really help us out.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
the length is the reality of the league now. you are simply not getting players for 1-2 year deals unless the following: you own their rights as a RFA and it is a prove it type deal...
they are on their last legs and want one more contract
had a few down years and just looking to stick and not go to Europe

outside of that/injury concerns, not many 1-2 year deals get handed out for proven NHL players.

I understand your concerns, but 3 years hardly scares me anymore after looking at the length of contracts we have handed out lol! And as I said, if you want to get help, you have to play the game and hand out some term.

For me De Haan/John Moore is a must add. I have no real care for Forsling, I don't see it with him really. This team needs a proven top 4 defensemen, either one of those aren't the most ideal but most suitable in our price range to land. So regardless if Forsling stays or goes, this team needs help on defense.

Nash is the perfect 2nd/3rd liner that can fluctuate whatever role we need. I have wanted to get this guy all year- he can really help us out.

I like Riley Nash too, I was upset when the Bruins signed him to that cheap two year deal.

However, he's never put up more than 25 points in the NHL before this season. I'd be a bit concerned committing $3 million over 3-4 years, only to see him return to his 22-25 point career average.

As for Forsling, that's disappointing and concerning that you don't see much in him. If that's the case, I think they need to make a move for a good second pairing LHD. I like Moore a little better, but that's only based on him being fast and a Chicago area guy.

Also, if Forsling isn't going to be that top-4 guy, he should be packaged with Seabrook and a pick ASAP. I'm sure Benning would jump all over that offer.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like Riley Nash too, I was upset when the Bruins signed him to that cheap two year deal.

However, he's never put up more than 25 points in the NHL before this season. I'd be a bit concerned committing $3 million over 3-4 years, only to see him return to his 22-25 point career average.

As for Forsling, that's disappointing and concerning that you don't see much in him. If that's the case, I think they need to make a move for a good second pairing LHD. I like Moore a little better, but that's only based on him being fast and a Chicago area guy.

Also, if Forsling isn't going to be that top-4 guy, he should be packaged with Seabrook and a pick ASAP. I'm sure Benning would jump all over that offer.

As for Forsling I just haven't seen much consistency, but hell that has been our entire blueline. We just have too many similar pieces back there with Forsling and Gus and Oesterle...None of them really do anything for me, but others are much higher on Forsling. He isn't a bum, but I do not see top 4 for him.

De Haan or Moore would be a real big addition just for the pure fact of easing up Keith's ice time as both can play over 20 minutes a night.

Nash is playing great on a contract year, always a fear - but like you said I have liked his game for a bit now, he offers what we need and I am okay at that term for him...he would do well here.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Definitely. Kind of have my eyes on Seguin though. Who would you pick between the 2 if you could choose?
Guys like that very, very, very rarely hit UFA. Somebody will, and should, back up the brinks truck for Tavares. Acquiring franchise centers is f***ing HARD.

If I'm Montreal I'm opening with seven years 77 million.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Islanders can offer 8 years, every other team only 7 if I remember correctly....why Tavares would want to stay there is beyond me...I think he is gone at the Isles lose him for nothing...unreal

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Islanders can offer 8 years, every other team only 7 if I remember correctly....why Tavares would want to stay there is beyond me...I think he is gone at the Isles lose him for nothing...unreal
You are correct on the term.

But Stamkos did the same thing last year, going to UFA, only to resign. My default is always to assume that the true stars will resign. History shows that is almost always right. Maybe Tavares will be different. But at the end of the day, I think most guys want to stay where they are.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think he stays. New York is an amazing place to live if you've got the cash. If they haven't offered eight years eighty eight million they're idiots. He's got his linemates locked up and an amazing kid carrying the second line.

They're a top four defenseman and a decent goalie away from being really good. They're a top pairing guy and a good goalie away from being great.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed, Tavares will definitely get 11M+ if he wants it.

With Seguin, maybe they decide to rebuild. If that’s the case and we don’t win the lottery, that’s the kind of here and now move I would be interested in, the 2 1sts and whatever for Seguin if we could resign him. Obviously it is a pipe dream but Dallas looks on the way down so you never know.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Karlsson is the one superstar who's probably going to go, given how much ownership sucks there
that is my main issue and that shitty arena...I think Tavares might be tired of playing in a second fiddle team in that town...I have always been an Isles fan, just the facts. I think he goes elsewhere but I would personally like him to stay, just don't see them able to fix their holes and sign him to that massive contract.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
that is my main issue and that ****ty arena...I think Tavares might be tired of playing in a second fiddle team in that town...I have always been an Isles fan, just the facts. I think he goes elsewhere but I would personally like him to stay, just don't see them able to fix their holes and sign him to that massive contract.

Don't they have a new arena coming and wasn't that supposedly his main "ask"?

Of course, if it was, he still hasn't signed.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I think he stays. New York is an amazing place to live if you've got the cash. If they haven't offered eight years eighty eight million they're idiots. He's got his linemates locked up and an amazing kid carrying the second line.

They're a top four defenseman and a decent goalie away from being really good. They're a top pairing guy and a good goalie away from being great.

And a new coach. They look like they are playing pond hockey most nights

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Don't they have a new arena coming and wasn't that supposedly his main "ask"?

Of course, if it was, he still hasn't signed.
they do, but it has been a mess of a process, so much in state fighting over the thing...fans aren't happy where it will be located...looks like a big cluster f***..not sure it did them any favors with Tavares with all the negativity it has drawn

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
they do, but it has been a mess of a process, so much in state fighting over the thing...fans aren't happy where it will be located...looks like a big cluster ****..not sure it did them any favors with Tavares with all the negativity it has drawn

I won't claim to know all the insurance and outs of NYIs situation and management, but if they kept Tavares to not make the playoffs and lose him for nothing, wow.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Two defensemen...a coach...and a goalie...away from being a playoff team. You mean.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not a fan of OP's with links to other articles. Say what you want to say and get your hits from somewhere else

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Depends also how much a guy values winning. Tavares is a guy that seems like he wants to compete for a ring every year too.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'm going to advertise C Antti Suomela's (6 foot 0) name until someone notices:hockey:

I think he be awesome "off bet" free agent signing for Hawks.
- perfect choice for 3rd line center spot.

Scored 21 goals, 39 assists +28 in 59 games this season for JYP (Finnish elite league; Liiga)
played the entire season in the 3rd line with 15 mins and change TOI

Great PK player, has hands for PP as well, good at face-offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad