Speculation: Potential Free Agent Signings

nsanta91

Jan 30, 2018
With the season pretty much over, we might as well start looking at potential free agents who the team could add. The cap situation seems okay, and personally I think they move on from Anisimov and maybe Hossa's contract. Team obviously needs defense and goaltending

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i think addressing the needed personnel should be based not on the results of the draft nor of fantasy kind of ideas ...... more or less a realistic idea.

my next point is what is the certified idea of what the cap will be next season.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm willing to sign any big name free agent that is okay with a one year overpay deal. If the Hawks aren't in a position to compete next year, then you sell that player as a rental at the deadline.

Carlson 1 year at $7 million?
Moore 1 year at $4 million?
Lehner 1 year at $2.5-3 million?

Any long-term deal for any of those guys sets the team back by making it harder to re-sign Schmaltz, DeBrincat, and to a lesser extent Forsling.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Carlson's not taking a one year deal. This is has last shot at a major payday. He's going to ask (and receive) a long term deal.
agreed. that is why i am very skeptical on the idea of those major FA.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Carlson's not taking a one year deal. This is his last shot at a major payday. He's going to ask (and receive) a long term deal.

Okay, then it won't be and shouldn't be with the Hawks. That's the point I'm making.

The Hawks can afford to overpay on a one year deal for next season, but can't afford a big money deal beyond that.

Schmaltz is likely going to cost you $6 million AAV, and DeBrincat likely around the same in two years.

The Hawks must keep that cap space freed up for them, and can't risk relying on a cap increase or a compliance buyouts that may or may not come.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There really isn't much out there besides Tavares, JVR, and Carlson. Go look it up, the list is ghastly. I'm not sure I'd want the Hawks signing any checks this offseason.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There really isn't much out there besides Tavares, JVR, and Carlson. Go look it up, the list is ghastly. I'm not sure I'd want the Hawks signing any checks this offseason.

Plus next year is stacked, keep that powder dry.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Guy has had a career year during his contract year. Always be careful. Niskanen sees the matchups. Not him. Matty is so underrated it’s not even funny.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It certainly could work out that way, but we already know this year is weak. Even Tavares, I’d love to get a player like that but his weakness is speed, kind of scary to think how his game might deteriorate if he loses a couple steps.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me, after spending most of the day reading or researching. mostly reading. my conclusion is no matter what or should i say whom are listed in the FA market, they will set the value of each player. meaning the ball park of the value of the FA market.

i see or think that the basic floor of the elite FA will start off at 8.0 million and going north. so players like Tavares, Kane and the maybe the Russian - Kovalchuk

the player who might be at the 6.0-7.0 million range . i will start with Van Riemsdyk,

for the d-men Carlson and Green should start at 7.5 maybe, but i doubt it. i am looking at north of that starting range.

i do believe that i really do not see any help coming from the elite, choice ufa who can definitely help this team, but i am looking at thru clear realistic eyes.

so this question who else can help, esp if it will be directed by the unknown salary cap.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Have a hard time seeing the Hawks signing anyone of any kind of worth this off season. A proven backup/B starter, and maybe a depth C. Seems as though they are writing this season off as an anamoly, the big change will be behind the bench and see how it goes next year before bigger changes.

Reactions: LDF

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
just make some smart moves here.

Riley Nash - 3 years - need guys like this to turn things around, grit, speed, defensive reliability, and can chip in with goals.

De Haan/John Moore - 3 years - whichever LD you want more between the two, get him. we HAVE to get a top 4 dman to help right away next year..take pressure off the kids and Keith. This is mandatory move.

Backup goalie -Raanta/whoever - get it done - need someone who can play 25 games and win us 12-14 of them...spend $2 mil plus on this, no more garbage.

everyone else would be a pure luxury, fix these glaring holes, and bring up some youth and this team will be back in the playoffs next season.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
just make some smart moves here.

Riley Nash - 3 years - need guys like this to turn things around, grit, speed, defensive reliability, and can chip in with goals.

De Haan/John Moore - 3 years - whichever LD you want more between the two, get him. we HAVE to get a top 4 dman to help right away next year..take pressure off the kids and Keith. This is mandatory move.

Backup goalie -Raanta/whoever - get it done - need someone who can play 25 games and win us 12-14 of them...spend $2 mil plus on this, no more garbage.

everyone else would be a pure luxury, fix these glaring holes, and bring up some youth and this team will be back in the playoffs next season.

i agree with everything you posted except for one part. the idea of these players getting 3 yr contracts, i do not see that. the reason is the mind-set i have been seeing is these players want long term contracts, regardless of age.

i real stand point is this, well from my way of thinking is this. forwards and centers the last position to look at filling.

d-men the main point, i am really looking this player, however you mentioning him kind of reinforce my idea. De Haan ..... the next d-men needs to come from some one like E. Gudbranson or via trade.

goalie is the next position and i need to see how some of the sleepers in my book looks like after the season.

frankly i really have some what confidence in the offensive players now and with some of the young kids coming up. the unknown factor will be the European Fa which are unknown to us or least me.

excellent post btw.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i agree with everything you posted except for one part. the idea of these players getting 3 yr contracts, i do not see that. the reason is the mind-set i have been seeing is these players want long term contracts, regardless of age.

i real stand point is this, well from my way of thinking is this. forwards and centers the last position to look at filling.

d-men the main point, i am really looking this player, however you mentioning him kind of reinforce my idea. De Haan ..... the next d-men needs to come from some one like E. Gudbranson or via trade.

goalie is the next position and i need to see how some of the sleepers in my book looks like after the season.

frankly i really have some what confidence in the offensive players now and with some of the young kids coming up. the unknown factor will be the European Fa which are unknown to us or least me.

excellent post btw.
I can live with 4 years on all these guys, though I think 3 years at that right cap hit could land Nash and Moore for sure...De Haan is the tricky one who likely would get 4 years...GMs are going to tone down their stupid contracts witnessing all the youth flowing into the game...I think players are going to be a bit disappointed this year outside of your Carlson/Tavares level of player...when it comes to contract length.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
It certainly could work out that way, but we already know this year is weak. Even Tavares, I’d love to get a player like that but his weakness is speed, kind of scary to think how his game might deteriorate if he loses a couple steps.

Tavares is a guy you don't worry about. Very few possess the insanely high hockey I.Q. he has.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I can live with 4 years on all these guys, though I think 3 years at that right cap hit could land Nash and Moore for sure...De Haan is the tricky one who likely would get 4 years...GMs are going to tone down their stupid contracts witnessing all the youth flowing into the game...I think players are going to be a bit disappointed this year outside of your Carlson/Tavares level of player...when it comes to contract length.

Why are you okay giving out new contracts beyond Schmaltz' and DeBrincat's ELCs? Aren't you concerned about locking up anymore of that cap space long-term before we know what the youngsters will get?

I would keep at least 6 million reserved for each of those two.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
again a great pov.

i never went with moore no matter how much i looked at him and believe me, i look long and hard there. however when i saw his stat-line for this yr, he is or should definitely be in the high $$$ number FA ..... that was my thought process.

Nash all i would say is we have the right for an opinion.

i think the other GM may be there, ref to with the salary cap expense, but i wouldn't bet on it. the thing is, when team start bidding against each other ..... that is the problem when people bid against each other, they have this need to win that bidding war. i know this will not happen in the nhl, but who knows.

for me, i would love a top 2 d-men and maybe a top 4 d-men who is a shutdown d-men, tall and can take the body.

goalie, there are some wild cards there.... who knows.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i would like to further add that this conversation on this thread today was a great idea. however i really wasn't prepared as i would have liked to be, b/c i was planning on something like this thread half way during the SC final.

by then many of my questions would have been answered or resolved, ex the ncaa ufa would have maybe would have been committed and signed. teams with their draft rights would be resolved as well. however there is an important ufa that has not been looked into..... this is based on the geographical location.

that list of the unknown ufa is the European ufa, the same pool where SB did a great job and signed Panarin ...... here is where my next homework is going to be.

many thanks for great info exchange.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why are you okay giving out new contracts beyond Schmaltz' and DeBrincat's ELCs? Aren't you concerned about locking up anymore of that cap space long-term before we know what the youngsters will get?

I would keep at least 6 million reserved for each of those two.
well I said if we can add these guys:

Riley Nash - $3 mil per
De Haan - $4 mil per
Raanta - $2.25 per

$10 mil signed to fix our holes...that is still with AA and Seabs here - that leaves us over $6mil not including Hossa and his money coming off the books...

so, no, I am not worried plenty of room to sign these guys and the Cat and Schmaltz - can always move out AA and his $4.5 mil as well....but I want to win again, and that really isn't happening unless we bring in some NHL pieces especially a top 4 dman

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Raanta is gonna want to compete for a starter gig. But the idea is right. De Haan likely wants close to 5, but I would be tempted. Look at the Islanders after he got hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad