Potential for Jeff Carter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseOAK*

I have this feeling that if the Leafs left two of their top prospects unsigned when there is so much uncertainty as to what is going to happen there would be a stampede of trolls to their site calling them idiots for doing so.

As far as I can see it is only the Hawks with Seabrooke that are in the same boat, fine company to keep.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
mooseOAK said:
I have this feeling that if the Leafs left two of their top prospects unsigned when there is so much uncertainty as to what is going to happen there would be a stampede of trolls to their site calling them idiots for doing so.

As far as I can see it is only the Hawks with Seabrooke that are in the same boat, fine company to keep.

Is this the Leafs site ? I must have been mistaken.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
His size and speed may be similar to Sundin/Modano, and while he may be more willing to use his size down the road than these 2 NHLers, IMO his stick-handling and play-making skills are a fair ways off Sundin/Modano. I see him putting up 30-30 type seasons.

mooseOAK*

Bennysflyers16 said:
Is this the Leafs site ? I must have been mistaken.

Since you obviously can't read very well, that is a good possibility.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Bennysflyers16 said:
Aren't Carter, Ovechkin, Malkin, Phaneuf, Richards, and Crosby all holding out hope to play for the Leafs ?

You're right...they aren't. :D

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Jeff Carter is not nearly as fast as Modano imo. I like him but he's nothing like Modano.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Not lose rights sure .... but this is different .. This is not the same case as Mike Richards who if unsigned could reenter the draft ..
I'm confused..... how are Richards' and Carter's situations different? They're both 1985's - Carter just turned 20 on January 1, Richards turns 20 in February. Thanks!

Roger's Pancreas*

Hey you know what's HI larious, the lockout applies to every single team. Even if Jeff Carter was an unrestricted free agent, there isn't a team out there that can sign him. (excluding european leagues, but every player has already stated that NHL players get star treatment so why go anywhere else.)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Charlie_Girl49 said:
I'm confused..... how are Richards' and Carter's situations different? They're both 1985's - Carter just turned 20 on January 1, Richards turns 20 in February. Thanks!
20 year old players that are unsigned by June 1st 2005 become UFA .... They are too old to back into an entry draft ... That is what makes it different ..

The NHL may have a provision to give teams time before the next entry draft to secure players before re-entry .. Carter and Richards do not fall into this category ..

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
He looks alot like Sundin and I think he will a career smilar to what Sundin has had but he will maybe post a little less points but will be a realy good player for years to come.

Upside: 1st line center 70-90 points, all star
Downside: 3rd line center 30-50 points,grinder style

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The Messenger said:
20 year old players that are unsigned by June 1st 2005 become UFA .... They are too old to back into an entry draft ... That is what makes it different ..

The NHL may have a provision to give teams time before the next entry draft to secure players before re-entry .. Carter and Richards do not fall into this category ..
That's what I thought...... I thought your post indicated that Carter had different options than Richards did, which isn't the case. Thanks!

AgentNaslund*

He reminds me of Vincent Lecavalier.

and bTW, Crosby's dream team is the Montreal Habs.

leafaholix*

AgentNaslund said:
He reminds me of Vincent Lecavalier.

and bTW, Crosby's dream team is the Montreal Habs.
If they can pay him if he becomes an UFA... good for the Habs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Charlie_Girl49 said:
That's what I thought...... I thought your post indicated that Carter had different options than Richards did, which isn't the case. Thanks!
No you are right .. both will be UFA come June 1st if they remain unsigned so that is the same ...but Either player has 30 different options where to play then..

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
anybody bashing leaf fans for being interested in wanting to sign this guy, or any of the unsigned drafted 03s are rediculous. Every team in the league would love to scoop either carter or richards up, and you would be lying to yourself if you think the leafs would be the only team clamouring for their services. I am an ottawa fan, with the best under 30 talent in the league, and i would be begging my team to get either of these guys. Its about trying to pick up as many assets as possible

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I.M. Fletcher said:
anybody bashing leaf fans for being interested in wanting to sign this guy, or any of the unsigned drafted 03s are rediculous. Every team in the league would love to scoop either carter or richards up, and you would be lying to yourself if you think the leafs would be the only team clamouring for their services. I am an ottawa fan, with the best under 30 talent in the league, and i would be begging my team to get either of these guys. Its about trying to pick up as many assets as possible
That's not the issue here. It just seems like Leaf fans are the only ones who think that all unsigned prospects will become UFA's and that there will be no provision in the new CBA that will allow teams to sign there unsigned picks. Look, the NHL is not going to make teams suffer for trying to be cost concious, after all that is what they are preaching. I'm sure if the CBA is not signed before june 1st, teams will be given a period to sign their prospects and Carter and Richards will both sign with the Flyers.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
The Messenger said:

The problem is you're assuming that the clock is running despite the lockout. That's not likely. What's more likely is teams aren't going to face the punishment of losing their prospects because a lockout prevented them from negotiating with them for a year or more.
But hey, maybe you know more about the situation than the league's commissioner and Carter's agent.
:dunno:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
His ceiling is as high as any forward prospect in the NHL right now IMO. He's big, he's very fast, he's a high flying stickhandler, he's got strength, he's got hands, basically Carter is the complete package.

The thing that you have to notice about Carter is that his shot is already NHL calibre. Look at most of those goals he scored in the WJC's this year (and from someone whos seen him play in the OHL his fair share), he scores a lot of his goals with a single effort. Basically, he scores them on his own, using his strength and speed. He's also got that shot, which he gets off so quick. Ever notice how often he handcuffs opposing goaltenders at weird angles? It's because he gets that shot off so quick, and he's so deadly accurate that he's able to beat them.

Basically I think that if Jeff Carter were to step into the NHL right now, he'd be an impact rookie, perhaps even scoring as much as Dany Heatley did in his rookie season. I agree with the Sundin comparisons. Both are big, strong guys, who arent exactly incredibly physical, but not soft either.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CarlRacki said:
The problem is you're assuming that the clock is running despite the lockout. That's not likely. What's more likely is teams aren't going to face the punishment of losing their prospects because a lockout prevented them from negotiating with them for a year or more.
But hey, maybe you know more about the situation than the league's commissioner and Carter's agent.
:dunno:
Yet the clock is running on all the stars and NHL players ..

Brian Leetch, Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer and many many other stars have the clock ticking and as of June 1st their contracts expire ...

Do you not think that these NHL teams are more concerned about losing star players without the ability to renegotiate with a year long lockout .. and not ability to address this by GM's with no new CBA ..

Lets take NJ for example ... The ran out and Lou Lam signed Zach Parise & 2nd rounder Petr Vrana before he had to just to be sure ... and now do you not think that he is more concerned about loosing Nieds than any unproven prospect ...

leafaholix*

Gags1288 said:
That's not the issue here. It just seems like Leaf fans are the only ones who think that all unsigned prospects will become UFA's and that there will be no provision in the new CBA that will allow teams to sign there unsigned picks. Look, the NHL is not going to make teams suffer for trying to be cost concious, after all that is what they are preaching. I'm sure if the CBA is not signed before june 1st, teams will be given a period to sign their prospects and Carter and Richards will both sign with the Flyers.
This isn't the NHL vs. the NHL teams. These guys have more than a case to make if they choose to become UFA's. There's a few guys that weren't signed that could have had contracts in 2004/05 if not for the lockout, Gary Bettman and the owners chose to lock out the NHLPA, and there's no reason to believe the unsigned prospects won't ask to become UFA if there isn't a CBA prior to June 1.

They were drafted under the old CBA... and if the deadline passes, it's the teams fault they did not sign these prospects. Much like Brian Leetch was signed under the old CBA, if he's an UFA on July 1, then so are these prospects.

The lockout was the NHL's doing, the owners better be prepared to take a hit on their unsigned prospects.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Carl O'Steen said:
This isn't the NHL vs. the NHL teams. These guys have more than a case to make if they choose to become UFA's. There's a few guys that weren't signed that could have had contracts in 2004/05 if not for the lockout, Gary Bettman and the owners chose to lock out the NHLPA, and there's no reason to believe the unsigned prospects won't ask to become UFA if there isn't a CBA prior to June 1.

They were drafted under the old CBA... and if the deadline passes, it's the teams fault they did not sign these prospects. Much like Brian Leetch was signed under the old CBA, if he's an UFA on July 1, then so are these prospects.

The lockout was the NHL's doing, the owners better be prepared to take a hit on their unsigned prospects.

What's more is that when a new CBA is reached, the NHLPA will likely want those unsigned prospects to demand their free agency, and would likely try to avoid having their rights renewed under a new CBA.

leafaholix*

GregStack said:
What's more is that when a new CBA is reached, the NHLPA will likely want those unsigned prospects to demand their free agency, and would likely try to avoid having their rights renewed under a new CBA.
Agreed.

The NHLPA's not going to allow the NHL teams to hang onto their rights when the NHL has put the league through hell and back with the lockout. There's not chance they're going to give up all the money with a salary cap and then allow teams to keep the rights to these players any longer than it was allowed... June 1st, 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad