Potential for Jeff Carter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
PapaBear said:
How good is this going to be. He really impressed me in the JR's with Bill Cosby.

Bill Cosby?

Anyways I think he will be a solid 60 point producer in the NHL. Kind of like Eric Daze in that he'll be big, lanky, speedy and have a long reach. But he is more gritty than Daze.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
After seeing this kid I'm convinced he is going to be a tad less physical Joe Thornton. Allison is also a good one.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If Carter totally bombs, I see him at least as good as Jason Arnott. His upside, to me, is as a healthy, young, and definitely more in control version of Eric Lindros. He's not nearly as physical as Lindros was at his peak but Carter has the same trigger, the same impressive wheels for a big man and a similar package overall. However, Carter plays with more control and far more hockey sense. Comparisons to Sundin and Allison are also valid, though I think Carter will be more scorer than playmaker at the NHL level.

He and Richards are definitely going to push a few veterans aside sooner rather than later in Philly.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Steve L said:
Ive seen many people compate him to a more physical Sundin.

I can see that.

Carter is quite effective cutting to the inside on a defenceman...from either wing.
Impressive. And fast for a big guy. If there wasn't a lockout he'd already be playing for the Flyers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Bobby Clarke screwed up BIG TIME ..

Bobby Clarke didn't sign them to save money for the Flyers but that royally screwed Carter and Richards who if they signed now would make far less money under the new CBA with lower Rookie entry level contracts and no bonuses ..Anthony Stewart, Getzlaf, Perry and Phaneuf their WJC teammates will all make more $$ because they were signed old CBA last minute.

Do you not feel this pisses Carter and Richards off .. when in fact other than Phaneuf may be considered better NHL prospects .. ??

By the old CBA rules players had to be signed before 2 years had past since being drafted by the old CBA.. That means they need to be signed by this June.. but with not CBA that is not possible ... but that is not my point even about players rights

What is stopping Jeff Carter who is now 20 years old from not accepting the Flyers offer and since he can't go back in the entry draft ... He would be declared a UFA after June 1, 2005.

As a UFA he is not bound by rookie entry level contracts but by UFA contracts which are unlimited and can sign for any amount he can get ..

If Carter's Agent has a head on his shoulders why would he not go this route?? He could shop Carter around and get lots of interest and if Carter wanted to be loyal to Philly even though they where not to him, his agent could even give Clarke the first right to match and UFA offer his client got .. In the long run no matter how it turns out Clarke will pay...NO ??

Nothing the Flyers could do about this situation ... IMO

This situation I am describing is nothing new as it existed in the old CBA as well .. An example was Kiel McLeod - Selected by Columbus Blue Jackets round 2 #53 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft

because of his age 20 and that he could not agree on a contract he became and UFA rather then return to the entry draft ..and eventually ended up signing with Phoenix as a UFA ..

This is the Carter situation all over again ... only this time Clarke because of the lookout can't even sign Carter if he wanted to .. and with NO Season .. Carter will become a UFA just like all the other NHL players whose last year of their contracts woould be wipped out by a year long lockout and cancelation..

Bottom line .. Jeff Carter may have 30 teams to chose from when the NHL returns and not just Philly IMO ..

mooseOAK*

Steve L said:
Ive seen many people compate him to a more physical Sundin.

What people are these? Maybe the ones that have watched him push 18 year old kids around. I am sure that if Clarke thought that he had the next Sundin on his hands he would have him signed by now.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Messenger said:
I think Bobby Clarke screwed up BIG TIME ..

Bottom line .. Jeff Carter may have 30 teams to chose from when the NHL returns and not just Philly IMO ..
I suspect that there is some contingency from GM's like Clarke to have this issue negotiated in the new CBA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CarlRacki said:
Yep. Bettman has said that teams will not lose the rights to unsigned prospects under the new deal. Carter's agent, Rick Curran, also said he does not expect the Flyers to lose their rights to him.

[url="http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10473013.htm?1c"]http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10473013.htm?1c[/url]
Not lose rights sure .... but this is different .. This is not the same case as Mike Richards who if unsigned could reenter the draft ..

What makes Carter as an UFA any different then Brian leetch or any other player currently under contract to a team whose contract ends as of June 1 and either a season long lockout or cancellation ..

Why give special treatment to a player not yet a member of NHLPA , and punish a HOF like Leetch for example by making him a UFA and not honouring his last year of his contract, and any other NHL player in the same boat ??

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Are Leaf fans REALLY pining there hopes on all the top unsigned prospects becoming free agents for them to sign? Because it seems like it is nearly only them who are always bringing up the fact that players like Carter aren't signed, and maybe they won't be retained by their teams.

Keep dreaming guys.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
paxtang said:
Are Leaf fans REALLY pining there hopes on all the top unsigned prospects becoming free agents for them to sign? Because it seems like it is nearly only them who are always bringing up the fact that players like Carter aren't signed, and maybe they won't be retained by their teams.

Keep dreaming guys.

"Leave" them alone. It's the Make Believe way. :joker:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
paxtang said:

Keep dreaming guys.

:lol Well said

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
The Messenger said:
Not lose rights sure .... but this is different .. This is not the same case as Mike Richards who if unsigned could reenter the draft ..

What makes Carter as an UFA any different then Brian leetch or any other player currently under contract to a team whose contract ends as of June 1 and either a season long lockout or cancellation ..

Why give special treatment to a player not yet a member of NHLPA , and punish a HOF like Leetch for example by making him a UFA and not honouring his last year of his contract, and any other NHL player in the same boat ??

Gary Bettman and most NHL GMs will be opposed to having all prospects adhere to the current (or new) UFA / RFA system. Teams aren't going to lose their rights to their top prospects. There's a difference between decade-long veterans and prospects who have yet to play a single pro game. Do you think Bobby Clarke would risk losing a top 10 prospect by swiveling around saving half a million dollars of salary liability? If there was a remote possibility that he may lose Carter, he would've piled on the dough long ago.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Aren't Carter, Ovechkin, Malkin, Phaneuf, Richards, and Crosby all holding out hope to play for the Leafs ?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Gary Bettman and most NHL GMs will be opposed to having all prospects adhere to the current (or new) UFA / RFA system. Teams aren't going to lose their rights to their top prospects. There's a difference between decade-long veterans and prospects who have yet to play a single pro game. Do you think Bobby Clarke would risk losing a top 10 prospect by swiveling around saving half a million dollars of salary liability? If there was a remote possibility that he may lose Carter, he would've piled on the dough long ago.

EXACTLY !! The Flyers are not known to not sign someone to save a $

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
paxtang said:

Keep dreaming guys.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Excellent fella!! Excellent!

Carts and Richie WILL be Flyers. Period.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Bennysflyers16 said:
EXACTLY !! The Flyers are not known to not sign someone to save a $

Maybe not to a Leafs fan... ;)
With the way they spend money, they probably think every team out there is poor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad