U18: Potential Canadian Roster for the U18's

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think you need to reread your post

I see now, yeah so I guess they just didn't think Savoie deserved a shot, I do think he would be a better option given his play than some others who haven't played a game all year, but I understand that only so many underaged players can be taken and they do need to give this 03 year a showcase.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think Matthew Savoie and Colton Dach should have made the roster, but it's a fun looking team.

Haven't watched a few of these guys, but I'd like to see something like this:

Edit: First three lines all get similar ice time.

Sillinger - Bedard - Guenther :snide:
Othmann - Wright - McTavish
Roulette - Pinelli - Stankoven
Johnston - Harrison - Stillman

(Winterton, Zhilkin)

Lambos - Clarke
Del Mastro - Ceulemans
Richard - Matier

(Allan)

Ben Gaudreau
Tyler Brennan

(Thomas Milic)
The defense seems a bit weak past the top-pair and Ceulemans, but it's a strong team overall—even without players from the Q. Can't wait to see how Bedard and Wright perform.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think Matthew Savoie and Colton Dach should have made the roster, but it's a fun looking team.

Haven't watched a few of these guys, but I'd like to see something like this:

Sillinger - Bedard - Guenther :snide:
Othmann - Pinelli - McTavish
Roulette - Wright - Stankoven
Johnston - Harrison - Stillman

(Winterton, Zhilkin)

Lambos - Clarke
Del Mastro - Ceulemans
Richard - Matier

(Allan)

Ben Gaudreau
Tyler Brennan

(Thomas Milic)
The defense seems a bit weak past the top-pair and Ceulemans, but it's a strong team overall—even without players from the Q. Can't wait to see how Bedard and Wright perform.

I assume Wright would be the top C and maybe even captain, hes already captained Ontario at CWG with most of these guys, and then Captained one of the 3 team Canadas at last year's U17. He was also at the u20 camp. I think at min he wears a "A", can't see him on the 3rd line.

Reactions: peconcan

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Savoie is just overrated imo. Yes he probably deserves to be there but I don’t think he’s as great as everyone else does. I want to see Bedard and Wright on a line together

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I assume Wright would be the top C and maybe even captain, hes already captained Ontario at CWG with most of these guys, and then Captained one of the 3 team Canadas at last year's U17. He was also at the u20 camp. I think at min he wears a "A", can't see him on the 3rd line.
I don't see it as a top-line, second-line, etc. The top-3 lines all have plenty of offensive talent and would all be relied on to score. It's more based on fit. The top-line has three WHLers that I think would play well together, the 2nd line has three OHLers including Othmann+McTavish who are familiar playing with each other, and the 3rd line has a dynamic duo of Wright - Stankoven which I think would be an excellent fit.

You could list Wright's line as the 1st line or the 3rd; I would expect all three lines to be rolled out pretty evenly so I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I don't see it as a top-line, second-line, etc. The top-3 lines all have plenty of offensive talent and would all be relied on to score. It's more based on fit. The top-line has three WHLers that I think would play well together, the 2nd line has three OHLers including Othmann+McTavish who are familiar playing with each other, and the 3rd line has a dynamic duo of Wright - Stankoven which I think would be an excellent fit.

You could list Wright's line as the 1st line or the 3rd; I would expect all three lines to be rolled out pretty evenly so I don't think it would make much of a difference.

I would think Wright-Othmann might be given a look given their chemistry in the past but there are a few ways they could go

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I would think Wright-Othmann might be given a look given their chemistry in the past but there are a few ways they could go
Hadn't realized they played together before. This would be a pretty sick top-6 then:

Sillinger - Bedard - Guenther

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Hadn't realized they played together before. This would be a pretty sick top-6 then:

Sillinger - Bedard - Guenther

Yeah they grew up playing on Don mills, played on a line at CWG for Ontario that lost in the finals in the Gold medal game in OT to Que, and played on Canada Black together as well.

It is a shame that in one of the stronger recent years in memory for Quebec (03) they can't send most of their guys. I think Guillame Richard is the only one from that gold medal winning team who is on this team, they could potentially have had Roy, L'Heureux, Bolduc, Robidas, etc.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah when I didnt see Savoie I thought maybe USHL players were ineligible...but they took Sillinger.

Wonder if it has anything to do with Savoie getting impatient and heading down south when the WHL had plans to start a season, where as in Sillingers case the OHL really had no plans to have a season. Savoie could be in the WHL right now, Sillinger has no CHL option atm.

He still has another year regardless so it isn't exactly a snub, but his play this year did really warrant an invite.

Sillinger’s team has almost no chance to make the playoffs. Savoie’s team has a chance with a good ending to the season.

I think that’s probably the main reason.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Savoie holds an import spot on Dubuque and can’t be replaced at this late date. Sillinger is a dual citizen and is not taking an import spot on the Sioux Falls roster.

My guess is the Savoie is being kept in Dubuque for the same reasons Quebec won’t release players for the tournament. Both leagues (QMJHL and USHL) are running real seasons and don’t want to compromise the competitive balance down the stretch.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
@Brock why do you figure Matier got the nod over Mailloux? Seems Mailloux is the higher rated prospect.

Jack Matier is a quality defender in his own right. Athletic and mobile. Was one of the players I was most excited to see progression from this year in the OHL.

As for Mailloux, I won't get into detail, but HC made a decision to go in another direction with their defenders. I remain a fan of his game and upside though.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
So, a week out and looking forward to seeing what Bedard can do and if talk of bumping him up to the U20 team is justified. just how exceptional is the player w/ exceptional status.

Curious to see how Wright's decision to hunker down (not play in some league somewhere) for a full year has impacted his development.

And looking forward to seeing Brandt Clarke.

Team should compete for a medal. but who knows....tough to predict.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
So, a week out and looking forward to seeing what Bedard can do and if talk of bumping him up to the U20 team is justified. just how exceptional is the player w/ exceptional status.

Curious to see how Wright's decision to hunker down (not play in some league somewhere) for a full year has impacted his development.

And looking forward to seeing Brandt Clarke.

Team should compete for a medal. but who knows....tough to predict.

Bedard will be on the u20 roster

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Isn't there a Finland vs Canada practice match today or was I fed wrong info? Wondering if anyone knows if that game is televised or streamed? Do they even have cameras over there I wonder.

The start time for it seems to be 22:00 Finnish time today.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Isn't there a Finland vs Canada practice match today or was I fed wrong info? Wondering if anyone knows if that game is televised or streamed? Do they even have cameras over there I wonder.

The start time for it seems to be 22:00 Finnish time today.
The game is later today, hardly any info on it so I don't think it's on TV.

Warriors defenceman Mateychuk added to Canada’s roster for 2021 IIHF U18 World Championship – WHL Network

This article says Canada vs Finland in exhibition at April 24 9 pm et / 6 pm pt.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad