U18: Potential Canadian Roster for the U18's

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The following would be my prediction for the Canadian roster at this year's U18's.

The The roster assumes a 3/8/14 similar to what the IIHF allowed at the U20's. It also assumes (after speaking with others) that WHL, OHL, USHL, CJHL, and NCAA players are available (and not QMJHL).

This prediction takes into account performance, status, and prior experiences with Hockey Canada.

Goaltenders:
Ben Gaudreau
Tyler Brennan
Thomas Milic

*I would be shocked if it is not these three players, given Gaudreau and Brennan's reputation, and Milic's great start to the year. All three have been fixtures in HC's program so far (U17, U18).

Defense:
Brandt Clarke
Corson Ceulemans
Nolan Allan
Guillaume Richard
Jacob Guevin
Oren Zellweger
Logan Mailloux
Ethan Del Mastro

HM's: Graham Sward, Jacob Holmes, Kyle Masters, Charles Alexis Legault, Tyson Galloway, Dru Krebs, Isaac Enright

*That defensive group would have 4 right handed shots and 4 left handed shots. Mix of size, mobility, physicality, and offensive creativity. Lots of options for Hockey Canada as it pertains to usage. Again, lots of familiarity within Hockey Canada previously too.

Forwards:
Mason McTavish
Brennan Othmann
Shane Wright
Francesco Pinelli
Brett Harrison
Dylan Guenther
Logan Stankoven
Conner Roulette
Cole Sillinger
Adam Fantilli
Matthew Savoie
Wyatt Johnson
Dovar Tinling
Colton Dach

Forward HM's: Chase Stillman, Ryan Winterton, Liam Arnsby, Danil Zhilkin, Connor Lockhart, Jake Chiasson, Eric Alarie, Zach Stringer, & Connor Bedard

*The forward group would be much deeper. Three players included are not 03's, which could be a bit controversial given the rough ride that the '03 draft group has had this season in terms of exposure. HC could obviously just keep it draft eligible out of respect. However, you can't argue that those three players (and to some extend Connor Bedard) deserve to be included based on performance and talent. As much as HC may want to give exposure to the '03's, they also want to win and develop for the future. Good balance in this forward group.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Reactions: DJB

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The following would be my prediction for the Canadian roster at this year's U18's.

The The roster assumes a 3/8/14 similar to what the IIHF allowed at the U20's. It also assumes (after speaking with others) that WHL, OHL, USHL, CJHL, and NCAA players are available (and not QMJHL).

This prediction takes into account performance, status, and prior experiences with Hockey Canada.

Goaltenders:
Ben Gaudreau
Tyler Brennan
Thomas Milic

*I would be shocked if it is not these three players, given Gaudreau and Brennan's reputation, and Milic's great start to the year. All three have been fixtures in HC's program so far (U17, U18).

Defense:
Brandt Clarke
Corson Ceulemans
Nolan Allan
Guillaume Richard
Jacob Guevin
Oren Zellweger
Logan Mailloux
Ethan Del Mastro

HM's: Graham Sward, Jacob Holmes, Kyle Masters, Charles Alexis Legault, Tyson Galloway, Dru Krebs, Isaac Enright

*That defensive group would have 4 right handed shots and 4 left handed shots. Mix of size, mobility, physicality, and offensive creativity. Lots of options for Hockey Canada as it pertains to usage. Again, lots of familiarity within Hockey Canada previously too.

Forwards:
Mason McTavish
Brennan Othmann
Shane Wright
Francesco Pinelli
Brett Harrison
Dylan Guenther
Logan Stankoven
Conner Roulette
Cole Sillinger
Adam Fantilli
Matthew Savoie
Wyatt Johnson
Dovar Tinling
Colton Dach

Forward HM's: Chase Stillman, Ryan Winterton, Liam Arnsby, Danil Zhilkin, Connor Lockhart, Jake Chiasson, Eric Alarie, Zach Stringer, & Connor Bedard

*The forward group would be much deeper. Three players included are not 03's, which could be a bit controversial given the rough ride that the '03 draft group has had this season in terms of exposure. HC could obviously just keep it draft eligible out of respect. However, you can't argue that those three players (and to some extend Connor Bedard) deserve to be included based on performance and talent. As much as HC may want to give exposure to the '03's, they also want to win and develop for the future. Good balance in this forward group.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

I don't understand you: how are WHL players available, if the league has just started the season? As far as I remember, CHL just doesn't give a damn for WJC U18.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I don't understand you: how are WHL players available, if the league has just started the season? As far as I remember, CHL just doesn't give a damn for WJC U18.

In a "normal" year, the WHL would be close to starting their playoffs, which would mean some players are off limits until they are eliminated. This is not a normal year. Players from the WHL will be able to play in the U18's, and complete their quarantine in time to return to their WHL teams league's playoffs.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
speaking with others??? with whom are you speaking and why are "they" suggesting players from all leagues eligible except for the QMJHL?

roster looks good though.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
In a "normal" year, the WHL would be close to starting their playoffs, which would mean some players are off limits until they are eliminated. This is not a normal year. Players from the WHL will be able to play in the U18's, and complete their quarantine in time to return to their WHL teams league's playoffs.
The WHL isn't having playoffs this year and all 4 divisions season schedule won't be over until the tourney already has begun. Maybe the teams will let the players go but not sure if that'd happen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Guenther-Wright-Othmann
Sillinger-Pinelli-Bedard
McTavish-Johnston-Savoie
Fantilli-Gaucher-Roulette
Bolduc-Stankoven

Allan-Clarke
Mailloux-Ceulemans
Richard-Guevin
Lagault-Masters

Gaudreau
Brennan
Milic

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Guenther-Wright-Othmann
Sillinger-Pinelli-Bedard
McTavish-Johnston-Savoie
Fantilli-Gaucher-Roulette
Bolduc-Stankoven

Allan-Clarke
Mailloux-Ceulemans
Richard-Guevin
Lagault-Masters

Gaudreau
Brennan
Milic

Bolduc is out for 6-8 weeks.

Gaucher won't be there either. QMJHL playoffs are starting on April 8th and the quarantine for those who will be at the U18 starts on April 11th.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The WHL isn't having playoffs this year and all 4 divisions season schedule won't be over until the tourney already has begun. Maybe the teams will let the players go but not sure if that'd happen.

Even if they go they would have to go through a 14 days quarantine when they return which means they would be gone at least between April 11th and May 20th.

I guess both their teams and the players will have a decision to make.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gaucher won't be there either. QMJHL playoffs are starting on April 8th and the quarantine for those who will be at the U18 starts on April 11th.

Will the teams or players choose?

I would think that a likely first round pick wants a competition against top talent over a league playoffs. Easier to move up the draft rankings that way. He’s 2022 draft eligible, so he has another season, but he won’t be able to play at this tournament a year from now. This might be his best chance left to play best on best.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Will the teams or players choose?

I would think that a likely first round pick wants a competition against top talent over a league playoffs. Easier to move up the draft rankings that way. He’s 2022 draft eligible, so he has another season, but he won’t be able to play at this tournament a year from now. This might be his best chance left to play best on best.

Every year, CHL players who are still in the playoffs don't go to that tournament.

I'm pretty sure his decision would be the playoffs with his teammates anyway.

Last edited:

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Interesting that Bedard was chosen over draft eligibles, guess HC wants to show off their shiny new toy!

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Interesting Lambos is listed. Also nice seeing Bedard picked. No Savoie is a surprise for me. Sillinger being locked into Canada as well.

Yeah when I didnt see Savoie I thought maybe USHL players were ineligible...but they took Sillinger.

Wonder if it has anything to do with Savoie getting impatient and heading down south when the WHL had plans to start a season, where as in Sillingers case the OHL really had no plans to have a season. Savoie could be in the WHL right now, Sillinger has no CHL option atm.

He still has another year regardless so it isn't exactly a snub, but his play this year did really warrant an invite.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Yeah when I didnt see Savoie I thought maybe USHL players were ineligible...but they took Sillinger.

Wonder if it has anything to do with Savoie getting impatient and heading down south when the WHL had plans to start a season, where as in Sillingers case the OHL really had no plans to have a season. Savoie could be in the WHL right now, Sillinger has no CHL option atm.

He still has another year regardless so it isn't exactly a snub, but his play this year did really warrant an invite.
Sillinger plays for Medicine Hat in the WHL. So that's not it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad