Post your own summer 2015 Flyers prospect rankings

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
With the boards annual voting wrapping up and the new Pronman, Button, NHL.com, etc lists due out soon, here is my top 15 with thoughts included on some. Goalies are not included.

My rankings are based on, if all things were equal and I could only keep a certain number of players in my system, who I would keep. Team needs or how close they are to the NHL is not factored.

:flyers

1 - Travis Sanheim (Defense: 1st rd, 2014)
He's close to the total package. His combination of size, skating, smarts, vision, offensive instincts, and athleticism are just incredibly rare. Sanheim is still a rapidly evolving and improving player with immense upside. In my opinion, most people haven't quite grasped what an awesome prospect he is yet. Why he isn't considered a very top tier prospect in some "expert" rankings is beyond me. Barring injury, I see him as a can't miss top pair defenseman with superstar #1 upside.

A subtle Sanheim play I made a gif of and posted during the season:
[collapse=Sanheim1]
AggravatingLimpCanary.gif
[/collapse]

2 - Ivan Provorov (Defense: 1st rd, 2015)
I've gone back and watched a bunch of Provorov games since the draft. I don't really have anything groundbreaking to add to the million scouting reports that exist on him. They pretty much all say the same thing because he's very consistent and mistake free. Which is funny, because I saw 6 games of his late in the WHL playoffs and he looked awful. But from doing some reading, all indications point to him playing hurt. He is a super intelligent puck-mover, a stalwart in his own end, and doesn't mind being physical. I contend that his offense isn't on the same level as Sanheim or Gostisbehere, but that is not a slight, as I think very, very few defenseman prospects are on that level. I see him as a player who is easily projectable to the NHL with a high floor. Expecting a #2 defenseman seems completely reasonable, and certainly he has a chance to be a #1.

3 - Shayne Gostisbehere (Defense: 3rd rd, 2012)
I just think this guy is electric and has that special "it" factor. I recognize Morin has more upside but if I could only choose one or the other, all other things being equal, I'd probably choose Ghost. He's just too dynamic to pass on. In the end, I don't see his defense being an issue at all. At even strength, I'm comfortable projecting him as a solid 2nd pair defenseman that may end up better than that. On the powerplay, he should be a real catalyst and difference maker.

4 - Samuel Morin (Defense: 1st rd, 2013)
He is a real freak athlete and skater for a guy his size. Morin also has a natural edge that is very desirable and a good head on his shoulders. It's tough to project exactly how he'll end up, but his upside is great. As with all big guys, it just takes longer to develop as they become more comfortable and grow into themselves. The Flyers drafting Sanheim and Provorov might have been the best thing that could have happened for him. It will temper expectations and buy him the time he needs to properly develop away from the bright spot light. Rushing him is the worst thing we could have done last year with him almost making the team. It might have been a disaster. However, I think the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow could be a huge score if everyone practices patience and everything comes together. He's certainly tracking towards being at least a top 4 defenseman who is a big time PK'er.

5 - Travis Konecny (Forward: 1st rd, 2015)
This kid is really fun to watch. His motor is ridiculous and he has a super high skill level to go with it. I really like his shot, especially his release. Giving him any open ice is asking for trouble. He will definitely find a play to make. His size obviously isn't ideal, but shouldn't hold him back too much. Having concussions at a young age is the thing I'm concerned about. I may be overly sensitive to that issue since I had them at that age as well. Only time will tell. Expect a skilled top-6 RW that brings a lot to the table.

6 - Scott Laughton (Forward: 1st rd, 2012)

7 - Robert Hagg (Defense: 2nd rd, 2013)

8 - Nicolas Aube-Kubel (Forward: 2nd rd, 2014)

9 - Oscar Lindblom (Forward: 5th rd, 2014)

10 - Mark Friedman (Defense: 3rd rd, 2014)
One of only two guys on my list that I've never seen play. I hate going strictly off scouting reports and stats but all indications are fairly promising on this guy. Also, he's the ever-elusive right handed defenseman, which automatically gives him more value. The lack of quality right handed defensemen is a league wide issue, not just a Flyers issue, and you have to have some in your lineup. It would be a huge score to get a 3rd pair NHL defenseman out of him, but he's a long way from that at the moment. Unless you somehow have access to Bowling Green or old Waterloo games, any projection would just be guessing. But his stats look nice and reports on him being a high-end skater are encouraging.

11- Mikhail Vorobyov (Forward: 4th rd, 2015)
The other guy on my list I've never seen (no one on this board has). He sounds like a guy you can play in your bottom 6. He also has an outside chance to play on a 2nd line if he really hits his upside according to Todd Hearty. So he's not just the usual top 6 or bust type of prospect.

12 - David Kase (Forward: 5th rd, 2015)
I recently watched a few of his WJC games. He's quite noticeable even as an underage, which is a great sign. In his thread, I noted that he's a very tenacious checker and quite a pain to opposing players with the puck. I also noted that putting weight on him shouldn't be a problem. He may fit the dreaded top 6 or bust type of player, but I'm not entirely convinced of that. If his skating can improve, he has a shot to make it. There is a lot to like here. He's a smart, skilled player who is just young and physically immature.

13 - Radel Fazleev (Forward: 6th rd, 2014)
This is a player I have seen a ton and like quite a bit as a low end prospect. Fazleev has a skill-set that may translate into a well defined role as a 4th line center and PK'er.

14 - Taylor Leier (Forward: 4th rd, 2012)
Similar to Fazleev, I like him as a possible new-school 4th liner. He's a tad on the small side, but super heady. Leier can add offense but that isn't where he'll make his living if he can stick in the NHL. It's as a bottom 6 LW and PK'er, just as Team Canada used him a few years ago at the WJC.

15 - Nick Cousins (Forward: 3rd rd, 2011)
I felt compelled to rank him because he had such a great year in the AHL. It was very impressive. Especially considering what an offensive black hole that team was thanks mostly to Terry Murray's usual offensive suppression. Unfortunately, I just don't see a clear role for him ever in the NHL. He's not someone I want in my top 6 and his skill set doesn't translate all that well to a bottom 6 spot. I would be glad if he proves me wrong, but I pretty much see a career AHL/NHL tweener. If you wanted to rank someone like Goulbourne ahead of Cousins because he has a better chance to find an eventual role, I wouldn't argue against it.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'm not going to give a huge detailed breakdown, but I will list who I believe are our top 15 prospects.

1. Travis Sanheim
2. Ivan Provorov
3/4. Sam Morin and Shayne Gostisbehere
5. Travis Konecny
6. Scott Laughton
7. Robert Hagg
8. Nicholas Aube-Kubel
9. Oskar Lindblom
10. Christian Marti
11. Mark Friedman
12. David Kase
13. Radel Fazleev
14. Taylor Leier
15. Mikhail Vorobyov

HM: Cousins, who I don't ever see finding a real role in the NHL.

The Coatesy Curse*

1. Sanheim - The guy is just an all around great player. Looked at home in the preseason last year. Probably the best chance at a true #1.

2. Provorov - haven't seen him in person yet, but on tape he looks to be on par with sanheim

3. Gostisbehere - seems to be getting the "out of sight, out of mind" treatment from most people here since his injury, but he's better defensively than he gets credit for and we've all seen what he can do with the puck.

4. Konecny - has hands, work ethic, skating, but maybe lacks size. Seems to be able to dangle on the rush without sacrificing speed, which bodes well for a transition to the pros. Could surprise people and turn out to be a first liner.

5. Morin - probably going to be a solid 4th or 5th guy in my opinion, but who knows

6. Laughton - looked good in his cup of coffee, but he's in kind of a logjam.

7. Hagg - probably a bottom pairing guy. Doesn't do anything special from what I've seen, but hopefully he'll at least play a solid defensive game and move the puck. Maybe like washed up timonen before the blood clots.

8. Garrett "blood" klotz - kid can throw em. Basically a modern Goliath and nobody's got a slingshot. Can't wait. Shame that he made timonen retire though.

The rest I don't really know enough about, so it would all be speculation based on what other people have guessed at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
01-Provorov
02-Sanheim
03-Gostisbehere
04-Konecny
05-Morin
06-Laughton
07-Hagg
08-Cousins
09-Leier
10-Friedman

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1. Sanheim - The guy is just an all around great player. Looked at home in the preseason last year. Probably the best chance at a true #1.

2. Provorov - haven't seen him in person yet, but on tape he looks to be on par with sanheim

3. Gostisbehere - seems to be getting the "out of sight, out of mind" treatment from most people here since his injury, but he's better defensively than he gets credit for and we've all seen what he can do with the puck.

4. Konecny - has hands, work ethic, skating, but maybe lacks size. Seems to be able to dangle on the rush without sacrificing speed, which bodes well for a transition to the pros. Could surprise people and turn out to be a first liner.

5. Morin - probably going to be a solid 4th or 5th guy in my opinion, but who knows

6. Laughton - looked good in his cup of coffee, but he's in kind of a logjam.

7. Hagg - probably a bottom pairing guy. Doesn't do anything special from what I've seen, but hopefully he'll at least play a solid defensive game and move the puck. Maybe like washed up timonen before the blood clots.

8. Garrett "blood" klotz - kid can throw em. Basically a modern Goliath and nobody's got a slingshot. Can't wait. Shame that he made timonen retire though.

The rest I don't really know enough about, so it would all be speculation based on what other people have guessed at.

I don't get this..

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Pretty sure that is joke. Klotz is not under contract.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Ivan Provorov
Travis Sanheim
Samuel Morin
Shayne Gostisbehere
Travis Konecny
Scott Laughton
Robert Hagg
Nicholas Aube-Kubel
Nick Cousins
Anthony Stolarz
Taylor Leier
Mark Alt
Radel Fazeleev
Oskar Lindblom
Mark Friedman
Felix Sandstrom
Danick Martel
Christian Marti
Tyrell Goulbourne
Matej Tomek

Something along these lines.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
My rankings:

1. Ivan Provorov
2. Travis Sanheim
3. Sam Morin
4. Scott Laughton
5. Shayne Gostisbehere
6. Travis Konecny
7. Nicholas Aube-Kubel
8. Anthony Stolarz
9. Robert Hagg
10. Oskar Lindblom

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
1. Travis Sanheim
2. Ivan Provorov
3. Samuel Morin
4. Shayne Gostisbehere
5. Travis Konecny
6. Scott Laughton
7. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
8. Robert Hagg
9. Mark Friedman
10. Oskar Lindblom
11. Nick Cousins
12. Radel Fazleev
13. Taylor Leier
14. David Kase
15. Mikhail Vorboyov
16. Danick Martel
17. Christian Marti
18. Tyrell Goulbourne
19. Samuel Dove-McFalls
20. Cooper Marody

1. Anthony Stolarz
2. Felix Sandstrom
3. Matej Tomek
4. Ivan Fedotov
5. Merrick Madsen

Last edited:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
1. Travis Sanheim
2. Ivan Provorov
3. Samuel Morin
4. Shayne Gostisbehere
5. Travis Konecny
6. Scott Laughton
7. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
8. Robert Hagg
9. Mark Friedman
10. Oskar Lindblom
11. Nick Cousins
12. Radel Fazleev
13. David Kase
14. Mikhail Vorboyov
15. Danick Martel
16. Christian Marti
17. Tyrell Goulbourne
18. Samuel Dove-McFalls
19. Cooper Marody
20. Cole Bardreau

1. Anthony Stolarz
2. Felix Sandstrom
3. Matej Tomek
4. Ivan Fedotov
5. Merrick Madsen

How come Fedotov over Madsen? I haven't seen either play

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I haven't seen Fedotov play yet but I based it on who I think is the closest to the NHL if it ever even gets to that point.

Madsen's a real long shot. He was drafted out of prep school then played his post draft year in the NAHL (still didn't get the net to himself as an 18-19 year old NHL drafted goaltender) before going to Harvard where he only appeared in one game as a freshmen. He's very likely spending the full four years in college.

Fedotov's at least played well in the Russian junior leagues & even saw action in the KHL last year which I'd imagine he'll see more this upcoming year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Good thread idea. My own:

1. Sanheim
- Seems the quintessential kid who hit puberty late and whose development skyrocketed. Now has excellent height to go with dynamic skating and smarts. I give him the slightest edge over Provorov simply because though they both have excellent intelligence, Sanheim beats him in pure skating ability and reach, and Sanheim seems to have a higher ceiling

2. Provorov
- A rock of a defenseman. Strong, competitive, smart, and skilled. Should be the perfect partner for Sanheim, both of whom can anchor an elite top pairing for the next decade.

3. Konecny
- I absolutely love this kid. A little Bobby Clarke in him with his fearlessness and drive. And high level offensive skill.

4. Ghost
- Rounds out an incredible top 4 prospects. Elite skill and skating. Size may hinder his overall game, but should be a Dan Boyle type and pair nicely with Morin for a 2nd pairing behind Sanheim and Provorov.

5. Morin
- The question is just how much he'll continue to develop. At worst, his phenomenal size/mobility/toughness will make him a solid blueliner. I worry about his puckhandling, but still plenty of improvement potential.

6. Hagg
- Underrated smooth two-way defenseman with good size. Could end up better than Morin.

7. Laughton
- Good third liner with above average speed and grit and the ability to contribute 35 or 40 points.

8. Lindblom
- Drop-off starts here. If he keeps developing, could be a nice 3rd liner with size who also picks up garbage goals in front of the net on the PP.

9. Kubel
- With his speed (when he wants to use it) and wrist shot, definitely has the potential to be a solid NHL third liner.

10. Friedman
- Size will be a problem, as he is quite short, but a very agile defenseman who shows offensive skill and a little grit. Definitely a guy to watch as he develops.

11. Sandstrom
- Potential to shoot way up the charts. Loved what I saw in development camp.

12. Cousins
- Perhaps underappreciated. Underrated skill. Great pest quality. Knows how to hold onto the puck that extra second to create a play. Size is a problem considering he doesn't have great speed.

13. Martel
- Remains to be seen how he does in the AHL, but blew me away in development camp with his skating and puck skills. Very short, but not frail.

14. Leier
- Should be a 4th liner with potential for 3rd line. Good in the corners, decent skill and speed.

15. Stolarz
- A project, but smart, great size, and a good athlete. Just not sure if he has an innate feel for the position, unlike Sandstrom who oozes innate goaltending ability.

16. Vorobyov
- Going only on scouting reports, seems to have a nice package of size and potential.

17. Kase
- Looks like a little kid, but flashed skill from the blueline in.

18. Fazleev
- Surprised me with his strength, hard work, enthusiasm, and better skill than expected. Fedotenko-esque.

19. Tomek
- Curious to see his development. Good athlete. Looked inconsistent at development camp.

20. Alt
- Solid size, skating, and RH shot. Parts so far better than the sum. Possibly Marti here, who seems similar to Alt with size and mobility, and Marti is younger and more physical. But I want to see how Marti fares in the AHL.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I haven't seen Fedotov play yet but I based it on who I think is the closest to the NHL if it ever even gets to that point.

Madsen's a real long shot. He was drafted out of prep school then played his post draft year in the NAHL (still didn't get the net to himself as an 18-19 year old NHL drafted goaltender) before going to Harvard where he only appeared in one game as a freshmen. He's very likely spending the full four years in college.

Fedotov's at least played well in the Russian junior leagues & even saw action in the KHL last year which I'd imagine he'll see more this upcoming year.
Yeah, Fedotov is a complete unknown. I'll take the mystery box over a player we know is a heavy, heavy longshot to make the NHL. I just can't imagine Fedotov's odds being any lower than Madsen's.

My list (which changes frequently at this point):

1) Provorov

2) Sanheim
3/4/5) Gostisbehere
3/4/5) Konecny
3/4/5) Morin
6) Laughton
7) Lindblom
8) Aube-Kubel
9) Hagg
10) Friedman

pucksandpups

Feb 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
Skaters
1. Sanheim
2. Provorov
3. Morin
4. Gostisbehere
5. Konecny
6. Laughton
7. Hagg
8. Lindblom
9. NAK
10. Friedman
11. Vorobyov
12. Cousins
13. Leier
14. Marti
15. Fazleev
16. Kase
17. Alt

Goalies
1. Sandstrom
2. Stolarz
3. Tomek
4. Madsen
5. Fedotov

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, Fedotov is a complete unknown. I'll take the mystery box over a player we know is a heavy, heavy longshot to make the NHL. I just can't imagine Fedotov's odds being any lower than Madsen's.

Yeah pretty much the list really starts & ends in the 1-3 range. It's really tough to try & break down their mental makeup at this stage in their careers & I think skill wise they're all on the higher end of the spectrum so I essentially just used their current development track as the measuring stick.

I think Tomek's the furthest out & it wouldn't surprise me if he spends 3-4 years in college. I think there's a fair gap between him & Sandstrom in regards to who gets to the AHL level first. I think there's good spacing between the three on the surface.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Good thread idea. My own:
8. Lindblom
- Drop-off starts here. If he keeps developing, could be a nice 3rd liner with size who also picks up garbage goals in front of the net on the PP.

I think he can develop even further than that. I think he has 2nd line upside and the ability to play the PP and PK. He's already done all of that for his current team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1. Travis Sanheim
We've debated Provorov and Sanheim to death. Both are elite prospects. I just think Sanheim has a better chance to impact the game with his tools. He comes with a little more projection, but it's hard to find the package he brings. Something good always seems to happen when he has the puck on his stick.

2. Ivan Provorov
Excels in all areas. He'll be playing in the NHL as a teenager. Really smart with the puck. Really smart positionally. Lays the body. Great puck mover. Not very long, but pretty stocky, and very strong. He's a guy you trust out on the ice.

3. Samuel Morin
Hard to say a former 11th overall pick is underrated, but I think that's what we have here and its probably a good thing for the player. Opinions seem to be at one extreme or the other with him. I consider myself one of his biggest fans. Before the broken jaw, he was playing at an unbelievably high level. Rough around the edges, but you might not be able to find a prospect that comes with the physical package Morin brings. 6'7, powerful skater, takes up so much space out on the ice, improving offensive game that comes with a booming clapper. Consistency is the key with him and I think that is related to the nagging injuries he's had in his brief career. For his size he does have good skill, but sometimes his feet get ahead of his hands and he makes panic plays. Still has a high ceiling, and the combination of Sanheim, Provorov, and Gostisbehere should all be good compliments to his skill set.

4. Shayne Gostisbehere
My favorite prospect in the system. Don't know if there is a prospect in hockey that matches his offensive tools. Awesome skater, bomb of a shot, one man breakout, he does it all. People will question his defense, and while he may never be a stalwart, his feet will always give him a chance to defend. The added bulk won't hurt either. Love his attitude though. That's what makes him the player he is.

5. Travis Konecny
Best chance to be a top 6 forward. Size will always be a concern, but he plays bigger than he's listed. Really good shot. Makes plays at high speeds. Silky mitts. Good character guy. Should be in for a bounce back season.

6. Scott Laughton
Don't think he'll be the 2C some thought he might be, but he still has the ability to be a 3C that plays special teams and that is still a damn valuable player. Has good tools. Good shot, good skater, sound defensive player. Would like to see him become a better 5v5 player

7. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Nice little player. Might not be a 1st liner, but I could see him as a middle 6 winger. Versatile. Plays all 3 forward positions for Val d'Or. PKs. Plays the point on the PP. Really good hands. Really good release. Good skater.

8. Robert Hagg
May never be the player some want him to be and he can be a frustrating prospect to evaluate, but he still has the talent to be a regular in the NHL and if that happens the pick was well worth it.

9. Oskar Lindblom
Heck of an 18 year old season for the 5th rounder. Looks to have the ability to play both wings. Smart player. Always seems to be around the puck. Would be nice to hit on a Euro for once.

10. Mark Friedman
Really good looking young defenseman. Could be in for a breakout season. Don't know if he'll ever reach the level of prospect Gostisbehere has thus far, but plays a little safer game from what I've seen. Brings a much needed RH shot. Very good skater.

11. Anthony Stolarz
A lot are down on him after the season he had, but when you consider when he was drafted, he wasn't expected to be playing pro hockey after just 2 years, he's still in a good spot. The situation in LHV wasn't exactly ideal either. Should have a bounce back season with the added talent to that team this year. The difference on the blueline will be night and day. Another year of refinement won't hurt either. Still has an incredible blend of size and athleticism.

12. Felix Sandstrom
Hate ranking goalies. They are so unpredictable, but the reports on this kid are pretty good and Sweden has produced some pretty solid goalies of late. The organization seems to think highly of him.

13. Matej Tomek
Really hedging my bets here. Good size. Looks really calm in his crease. Probably further away than the other two guys, but wouldn't be a surprise if he turns out to be the best of the bunch. The scouting community seemed to really like him, but level of competition factored into his draft position. Should have a chance to see quality time as a freshman at a great college program.

14. Danick Martel
May be a little bullish. This guy is a true wildcard. Could be a top 6 NHL spark plug or could be AHL fodder. Extremely undersized, but skilled and can scoot. Plays with a ton of energy. I think we'll find out quickly where he fits in long-term by his play this year in the AHL.

15. Mikhail Vorobyov
Trusting the scouting department on this one. Adds a much needed center to the pipeline and at least one scout in the org think he has 2C upside. The big question is if we'll see him cross the pond.

16. Nick Cousins
Forgot about him. His skating is going to hold him back. Seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by the NHL pace. Had a great year in the AHL though and that has to count for something I guess. Most likely Jason Akeson 2.0.

17. Christian Marti
Good size. Strong skater. Professional experience. He'll have his work cut out to crack the NHL lineup, but should be good depth if nothing else.

18. Radel Fazleev
Another pivot. Not what I would call a gifted offensive player, but shows flashes. Not quite sure he's a 3rd liner in the NHL, but could be an effective 4th line center that can PK and be defensively responsible while chipping in a few points- especially if he picks up a step or two in his skating. Should be in for a big year this year as the 1C in Calgary.

19. Taylor Leier
Did a decent job as Laughton's side kick for a while. Don't see a lot of upside, but could develop into a nice role player.

20. David Kase
Small, speedy playmaker with a decent track record. Flyers had a 2nd round grade on him.

21. Samuel Dove-McFalls
Numbers aren't impressive, but played on a young team. Should see a jump this year. Had a decent amount of pre-draft buzz. Like a lot of guys this far down the list, probably won't play too high in the lineup, but could develop into a role player.

22. Cooper Marody
Had to get him on the list. Good numbers in the USHL despite getting cut by a couple teams. Could be a late bloomer.

Last edited:

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
1. Ivan Provorov -
Most NHL ready player in the system at 18. (2-way Franchise Dman)

2. Travis Sanheim -
Like a fine wine this kid will get better every year. (2-Way #1 Dman)

3. Samuel Morin -
Tough to pick him over ghost, but his upside is just huge. If he pans out he could be #1. (Shutdown Top Pairing potential)

4. Shayne Gostisbehere -
Fastest and Flashiest player in the lot, great hockey IQ, but saw weakness in his D game. (PP QB Top pairing potential)

5. Travis Konecny - Remindes me of Parise (who also fell in a deep draft). Elite skill with grit, sounds perfect for the new NHL game. (Sniper Top 3
Forward Potential)

6. Scott Laughton -
Second most NHL ready player, but probably the most likely to grab a permanent spot in the NHL out of camp. (2-Way Top 6 Forward potential)

7. Robert Hagg - The dark-horse of the D crop. Underrated because of his peers, but he will be a part of a very solid top 6 in the future. (2-way Top 4 potential)

8. Nicolas Aube-Kubel - Speed and Skill on the wing is a great combination for the game today. Similar to Konecny in grit and speed, but without the elite scoring touch. However, with decent size he has all the tools to be an NHL forward. (2-Way forward Middle 6 potential)

9. Nick Cousins - If he improves his skating he could be a very good NHL player. (Playmaking forward Middle 6 potential)

10. Mark Friedman - Brings a nice balance of offense and defense with a strong confidence and personality. If Zach Rinaldo had sex with Robert Hagg they would make Mark Friedman. A lot to like here (2-way Top 6 potential)

11. David Kase - Reminds me a ton of Elias with his stature, skating and vision. Looks like a child on the rink, but I bet he's a late bloomer and fills out nicely. If his body catches up he will be an NHL player, but nature is a *****. (Playmaker Top 6 potential)

12. Oskar Lindblom - Great size and hands, but needs to be more assertive if he wants to be a power forward in the NHL. This kid could be a top 6 forward or an AHL superstar. He's a swede so I expect the former. (Power Forward Middle 6 Forward)

13. Taylor Leier - Just really like his game and leadership. Will probably be a top penalty killer and 5-5 player on his NHL team (2-Way Bottom 6 potential)

14. Radel Fazleev - Interesting prospect as he has the ability to surprise people. High potential, but it isnt based on long track record. This one could be a big steal of his draft. (2-Way Bottom 6 potential)

15. Danick Martel

16. Mikhail Vorboyov

17. Christian Marti

18. Tyrell Goulbourne

19. Samuel Dove-McFalls

20. Cooper Marody

1. Matej Tomek

2. Anthony Stolarz

3. Felix Sandstrom

4. Ivan Fedotov

5. Merrick Madsen

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
11. David Kase - Reminds me a ton of Elias with his stature, skating and vision. Looks like a child on the rink, but I bet he's a late bloomer and fills out nicely. If his body catches up he will be an NHL player, but nature is a *****. (Playmaker Top 6 potential)

Elias (6'1") is 2-3 inches taller than Kase (5'10"-5'11") depending on the source. Elias also plays around 200 lbs.

The Coatesy Curse*

1. Travis Sanheim
We've debated Provorov and Sanheim to death. Both are elite prospects. I just think Sanheim has a better chance to impact the game with his tools. He comes with a little more projection, but it's hard to find the package he brings. Something good always seems to happen when he has the puck on his stick.

2. Ivan Provorov
Excels in all areas. He'll be playing in the NHL as a teenager. Really smart with the puck. Really smart positionally. Lays the body. Great puck mover. Not very long, but pretty stocky, and very strong. He's a guy you trust out on the ice.

3. Samuel Morin
Hard to say a former 11th overall pick is underrated, but I think that's what we have here and its probably a good thing for the player. Opinions seem to be at one extreme or the other with him. I consider myself one of his biggest fans. Before the broken jaw, he was playing at an unbelievably high level. Rough around the edges, but you might not be able to find a prospect that comes with the physical package Morin brings. 6'7, powerful skater, takes up so much space out on the ice, improving offensive game that comes with a booming clapper. Consistency is the key with him and I think that is related to the nagging injuries he's had in his brief career. For his size he does have good skill, but sometimes his feet get ahead of his hands and he makes panic plays. Still has a high ceiling, and the combination of Sanheim, Provorov, and Gostisbehere should all be good compliments to his skill set.

4. Shayne Gostisbehere
My favorite prospect in the system. Don't know if there is a prospect in hockey that matches his offensive tools. Awesome skater, bomb of a shot, one man breakout, he does it all. People will question his defense, and while he may never be a stalwart, his feet will always give him a chance to defend. The added bulk won't hurt either. Love his attitude though. That's what makes him the player he is.

5. Travis Konecny
Best chance to be a top 6 forward. Size will always be a concern, but he plays bigger than he's listed. Really good shot. Makes plays at high speeds. Silky mitts. Good character guy. Should be in for a bounce back season.

6. Scott Laughton
Don't think he'll be the 2C some thought he might be, but he still has the ability to be a 3C that plays special teams and that is still a damn valuable player. Has good tools. Good shot, good skater, sound defensive player. Would like to see him become a better 5v5 player

7. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Nice little player. Might not be a 1st liner, but I could see him as a middle 6 winger. Versatile. Plays all 3 forward positions for Val d'Or. PKs. Plays the point on the PP. Really good hands. Really good release. Good skater.

8. Robert Hagg
May never be the player some want him to be and he can be a frustrating prospect to evaluate, but he still has the talent to be a regular in the NHL and if that happens the pick was well worth it.

9. Oskar Lindblom
Heck of an 18 year old season for the 5th rounder. Looks to have the ability to play both wings. Smart player. Always seems to be around the puck. Would be nice to hit on a Euro for once.

10. Mark Friedman
Really good looking young defenseman. Could be in for a breakout season. Don't know if he'll ever reach the level of prospect Gostisbehere has thus far, but plays a little safer game from what I've seen. Brings a much needed RH shot. Very good skater.

11. Anthony Stolarz
A lot are down on him after the season he had, but when you consider when he was drafted, he wasn't expected to be playing pro hockey after just 2 years, he's still in a good spot. The situation in LHV wasn't exactly ideal either. Should have a bounce back season with the added talent to that team this year. The difference on the blueline will be night and day. Another year of refinement won't hurt either. Still has an incredible blend of size and athleticism.

12. Felix Sandstrom
Hate ranking goalies. They are so unpredictable, but the reports on this kid are pretty good and Sweden has produced some pretty solid goalies of late. The organization seems to think highly of him.

13. Matej Tomek
Really hedging my bets here. Good size. Looks really calm in his crease. Probably further away than the other two guys, but wouldn't be a surprise if he turns out to be the best of the bunch. The scouting community seemed to really like him, but level of competition factored into his draft position. Should have a chance to see quality time as a freshman at a great college program.

14. Danick Martel
May be a little bullish. This guy is a true wildcard. Could be a top 6 NHL spark plug or could be AHL fodder. Extremely undersized, but skilled and can scoot. Plays with a ton of energy. I think we'll find out quickly where he fits in long-term by his play this year in the AHL.

15. Mikhail Vorobyov
Trusting the scouting department on this one. Adds a much needed center to the pipeline and at least one scout in the org think he has 2C upside. The big question is if we'll see him cross the pond.

16. Nick Cousins
Forgot about him. His skating is going to hold him back. Seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by the NHL pace. Had a great year in the AHL though and that has to count for something I guess. Most likely Jason Akeson 2.0.

17. Christian Marti
Good size. Strong skater. Professional experience. He'll have his work cut out to crack the NHL lineup, but should be good depth if nothing else.

18. Radel Fazleev
Another pivot. Not what I would call a gifted offensive player, but shows flashes. Not quite sure he's a 3rd liner in the NHL, but could be an effective 4th line center that can PK and be defensively responsible while chipping in a few points- especially if he picks up a step or two in his skating. Should be in for a big year this year as the 1C in Calgary.

19. Taylor Leier
Did a decent job as Laughton's side kick for a while. Don't see a lot of upside, but could develop into a nice role player.

20. David Kase
Small, speedy playmaker with a decent track record. Flyers had a 2nd round grade on him.

21. Samuel Dove-McFalls
Numbers aren't impressive, but played on a young team. Should see a jump this year. Had a decent amount of pre-draft buzz. Like a lot of guys this far down the list, probably won't play too high in the lineup, but could develop into a role player.

22. Cooper Marody
Had to get him on the list. Good numbers in the USHL despite getting cut by a couple teams. Could be a late bloomer.

Gostisbehere is also a lot better with his stick defensively than people give him credit for. Yeah, he's never going to body people like morin but he can make up for it by creating turnovers with his stick work and positioning. If anyone gets a chance, watch him in the preseason or the ahl. I think you'll be surprised. I'm really not worried about him defensively. If anything he probably just needs to learn when to take a chance in joining a rush and when not to.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Gostisbehere is also a lot better with his stick defensively than people give him credit for. Yeah, he's never going to body people like morin but he can make up for it by creating turnovers with his stick work and positioning. If anyone gets a chance, watch him in the preseason or the ahl. I think you'll be surprised. I'm really not worried about him defensively. If anything he probably just needs to learn when to take a chance in joining a rush and when not to.

I agree. He's got a surprisingly long reach for a 5'11 guy. With his skating and balance, he's able to reach and recover very well. A lot of guys can't do it. His best defense is his offense though. One thing that stood out when I watched him at Union, every game I would go in trying to evaluate his defensive zone play, and I would never get much of an opportunity. Just about every time the puck entered his zone, it was out in a matter of seconds. Incredible puck mover. Now it probably won't be that easy in the NHL, but as long as he's committed to the defensive side of the game (and I think the coaches have pounded that into his head by now), I'm not worried. His calling card is his offense and I don't think we'll be disappointed. Can't wait to see him back playing again. Last year was so disappointing that I only got to see him play a few games.

SchennSational1022*

Sanheim
Provorov
Konecny
Morin
Gostisbehere
Laughton
Hagg
Aube-Kubel
Lindblom
Friedman
Cousins

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There are no goalies listed because I have no concept of how to project one's growth.

Provorov
Sanheim

Gostisbehere
Konecny

Morin
Laughton

Hagg
Friedman

Lindblom
Aube-Kubel
Cousins
Leier