OT: Post Your EA NHL 14/NHL 15 Be A GM Roster

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
NHL14 was my first journey into the modern hockey game. I'm old school. I grew up on NHL94 and Mutant League Hockey. The next gen is a bit too much for me. Modern gaming is so above my head. I am absolutely terrible at NHL14. Anything above a moderate setting will see me give up at least 4 goals per game.

It is quite fun, though, to play with hockey clubs from around the globe. The fighting mode is fun as hell (even a loss is fun). I'll take a look at what changes have been made for the new game and I may get it despite the fact that I stink.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Spent the last couple of hours on the PS4 demo. Presentation is amazing, the entire NBC broadcast side of things really adds to realism, and I finally got a "SCAAARR" out of Doc by scoring the game winner in the final 10 seconds. Puck physics are spot on, wouldn't change a thing. AI has made a massive improvement, although they still have the odd brain fart, but I suppose that's human. Player collisions are fairly good, hitting is probably a bit strong, but you can tone that down with the sliders on the full game. Player movement, passing and shooting all look and feel amazing. Overall, as someone who played the **** out of NHL10/11/12/13, NHL15 is leaps and bounds ahead, as you would expect. Can't wait for full release!

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Anybody have the new NHL 15 game on one of the new consoles yet? Anybody want to post some pictures of the Coyotes? I want to see if this game is worth buying one of the new consoles for. I know it sounds stupid to only buy a console bases off a game, but the NHL series is usually the only game I play. I'm not a huge video game guy. I just like playing hockey on my downtime lol.

I always like to see who got their own realistic customized face in these games. If you get a customized face in the game, in EA's eyes, you've made it :laugh:

Shane Doan, Derek Morris, Mikkel Boedker and Antoine Vermette were usually the only Coyotes players that actually looked like they do in real life until last year, where they FINALLY upgraded Keith Yandle from an 80 overall, to an 84(?) and a customized face. Looks like Martin Erat has one in this game according to the screenshot posted earlier.

Mike Smith looks like Bobo the clown. Radim Vrbata looked like a Mexican with blue eyes. Martin Hanzal looked like an obese old man who just sucked on a lemon. It's kind of funny.

I'm always interested in who made the cut in EA's eyes. If anybody wants to post some pictures, that would be cool!

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I was one click away from cancelling my pre-order last week after realizing how many features and game modes were missing. However, I only play Be A GM, which is apparently being fixed in a patch next month, and the most important part is the gameplay, which has been massively improved, imo.

That being said, for a game that was in development for two years, and had EA hype the living **** out of it, it's inexcusable for them to leave out so many features and game modes.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, I primarily played EASHL in last gen, but Ive also been big on GM mode and a bit of hut. The gameplay is really fantastic, along with the presentation. Ive been happy, minus the whole no OTP/EASHL thing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
17 games into my Be A GM career. I actually play the games, not sim them. 10min periods, Superstar-Hardcore settings, and I only play defense.

I went with our actual roster and it originally took me 30 minutes to sort out call ups and waivers due to the extremely slow menus. 9-4-4 with the current lines;

Boeds-Hanzal-Doan
Domi-Gagner-Erat
Korpi-Vermette-Moss
Lessio-Vitale-Chipchura

OEL-Z
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Schlemko

Honestly thought I'd constantly be editing the lines, but Boedker is leading in points, with Yandle and Gagner close behind. So far so good, I guess.

Oh, and Vrbata is ripping it up with the Sedins :(

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Flipped yandle and a 1st (17') for Ryan Johansen and 3rd.

Traded klinhammer for Torres picked up Adam pardy off waivers and demoted moss and schlemko both got picked up off waivers Moss (Dallas) Schlemko (LA).

Boedker - Johansen - Doan
Domi - Vermette - Gagner
Korp - Hanzal - Erat
Chip - Vitale - Torres
Crombeen

OEL - Z
Gormley - Stone
Murphy - Pardy

Smith
Dubs

Also, for the ones saying the games isn't worth dick, it's actually pretty decent. HUT is pretty good and be a gm is decent enough to have fun with.

Last edited:

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
Flipped yandle and a 1st (17') for Ryan Johansen and 3rd.

Traded klinhammer for Torres picked up Adam pardy off waivers and demoted moss and schlemko both got picked up off waivers Moss (Dallas) Schlemko (LA).

Boedker - Johansen - Doan
Domi - Vermette - Gagner
Korp - Hanzal - Erat
Chip - Vitale - Torres
Crombeen

OEL - Z
Gormley - Stone
Murphy - Pardy

Smith
Dubs

Also, for the ones saying the games isn't worth dick, it's actually pretty decent. HUT is pretty good and be a gm is decent enough to have fun with.

Hah, my first move in my serious GM mode was acquiring Johanssen as well :)
First+Vermette+somethign else (was 2 seasons ago) And I moved Gagner to wing and had Boedker-Johanssen-Gagner as first line. Won division 2 times, lost in WCF once and 2nd round once.

My team has changed quite a bit over last offseason. Current roster is:
--------------------------------------------
Boedker(86)-Johansen (87)-Johan Larson (84)
Domi (80)-Gagner (86)-Read (84)
Marcus Foligno(83)-Samuelsson (83)-Mantha (82)
Lessio (80)-Zach Smith (83)-Stalberg (82)

OEL (92)-Carlson (87)
Yandle (87)-Stone (85)
Gormley (83)-Muprhy (83)

Visentin (85)
--------------------------------
Gormley has not developed as well as I had hoped he would.
My biggest move was trading Smitty for John Carlson after Vis jumped to an 85.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Here is my roster right now.

Fleischmann - Gagner - Doan
Boedker - Vermette - Connolly
Domi - Hanzal - McMillan
Chipchura - Vitale - Korpikoski

Yandle - Murphy
OEL - Michalek
Gormley - Stone
Summers

I can't remember who I traded for what, but Erat, Klink, and Schlemko were all used to acquire the above additions. haha

RABBIT

NHL15 on the PS4/XB1 is utter garbage. They completely gutted it of all the modes. EA is counting on you not knowing this when you go to buy it.

There is a thread about it here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=89526085#post89526085

Please do not buy it in order to avoid supporting this kind of crap.

Wow. They really spent too much time on the presentation and really dropped the ball everywhere else. I'm content sticking with my 360 and NHL 14. I'll wait for NHL 16 to come out, I'm sure they'll have no choice but to add the older modes back.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't have a PS4 or Xbox 360/one, etc. But I did break out EHM yesterday and downloaded an updated roster set. Any other old timers still around? haha

The roster set I'm using thinks Domi and Perlini are still miles away from the NHL. Lessio is currently a tweener, so I picked up some veteran help and tried to trim some of the fat.

I don't like picking up free agents and trading in the game because it is so easy. Drafting in this game can be a total crapshoot, and that's how I like to build my team. Having said that, I did make some relatively minor changes.

I traded Dave Moss and the rights to Tikhnov, Ahnelov, and Goncharov with a 2nd rnd pick to Edmonton for Mitch Moroz (we now have the whole Oil Kings top line!) and Tyler Pitlick. The computer thinks I overpaid, of course, but they were all guys I wasn't interested in having. I justified this for EDM by the fact the game won't care if those guys want to play in NA or not, and Goncharov still has some potential with the roster set I'm using. I probably owe them a favor, but so far my scouts think Moroz will be a AHL'er. Moss and a 2nd for Pitlick (3rd line upside) and several AHL'ers for another probably isn't too bad in game.

I traded Klinkhammer and Dylan Reese to Boston for Kelly in a pure cap move for Boston. He's currently my third line center allowing me to move Gagner to RW (I'm iffy on whether or not Gagner would make a good winger at this level, to be honest, but the game doesn't care).

I had some second thoughts about trading McMillan to SJS for Raffi Torres, but decided to do it anyway. I really like McMillan in real life, but his overall is the same as Raffi's in the game, and I decided to load up the fourth line with beef.

I lost Mike McKenna to the waiver draft (yes, that's how old the game is, but it's still the best hockey simulator out there).

I signed Ryan Malone (he was still a free agent when the roster set was made) to a one year deal. I signed a bunch of low-/mid-level potential free agents for the farm just to make them competitive.

Lines in the game are:
Erat-Hanzal-Doan
Boedker-Vermette-Gagner
Korpi-Kelly-Torres
Chip-Vitale-Malone/Crombeen
I have Bolduc as a regular scratch and injury replacement b/c I didn't want him taking away ice time from young guys on the farm.

OEL-Stone
Yandle-Z
Summers-Schlemko
(no 7th D at the moment. I'm letting Murphy and Gormley get top pairing time in the A)

We've played 21 games and there are six teams in the West (9th through 14) with 20 pts (including the Coyotes). Anaheim is in 7th with 22 pts. Calgary is at the bottom of the West with 18 pts. Talk about tight!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Wow. They really spent too much time on the presentation and really dropped the ball everywhere else. I'm content sticking with my 360 and NHL 14. I'll wait for NHL 16 to come out, I'm sure they'll have no choice but to add the older modes back.
From everything I've read the actual gameplay has been greatly improved.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
My first EHM game was awesome and I played it for like 18 seasons.

But games after that lost their luster because then you know what players the database perfers. Like Kopitar.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
My first EHM game was awesome and I played it for like 18 seasons.

But games after that lost their luster because then you know what players the database perfers. Like Kopitar.

They do have updated roster sets. You don't have to use the default. There is also a degree of randomness each time you start a league the sim sets new semi-random ceilings based on the potential ratings of the player file you are using. If you really get into it, you can modify the player file itself. Still an amazing game after all these years. Love the dependence on scouting and the fact the scouts can be so wrong. So very, very wrong. You don't get that in any of the EA games I played (it's been a long while since I've had a EA game. Think original XBox).

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well I used last years roster for that. I know there's a new one since. I'm not so sure they set random PA ratings, if even if they do, they don't vary widely from normal.

My real issue was, after the first season, I didn't want to deal with like, the first six seasons until my draft picks started making up the majority of my team. That's the fun part. I found a 50g serial scorer in the 2nd round once. My other issue was how undervalued defensemen are in the game, and the tactics. But I agree it's a very good game. I was hoping FHM would surpass that, but it flopped. It wasn't even 25% as good.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You can auto manage the first couple seasons. I used to do that pretty often. Set the roster and then sim seasons at a time. No managing the day to day parts or lineups, etc. The CPU does it for you. I don't play it much anymore. Had to reinstall it. But I used to be addicted back when it was new :)

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Doan with a hatty and 5 points in my last game. Confirms how unrealistic NHL15 is. :sarcasm:

RABBIT

I want to see what Domi, Lessio, and Perlini look like in the game.

Mostly Domi, though lol. I always get a kick out of it. Someone should take a picture of them and post it in here, I would GREATLY appreciate it. :nod:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I want to see what Domi, Lessio, and Perlini look like in the game.

Mostly Domi, though lol. I always get a kick out of it. Someone should take a picture of them and post it in here, I would GREATLY appreciate it. :nod:

As far as I could tell, Domi has a fairly generic face and looks nothing like him.

m4la1e3t.vm4.png

Korpi, Vermette, Doan, Moss

3is3o2jh.3ab.png

Lessio, Boedker, Gagner, Chipchura

5ioilv1s.euy.png

Michalek, Dubs, Murphy, Gormley, OEL

The rest were on the ice when I took these, but Yandle is pretty much the only one out there who looked remotely real.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I swear someone at EA has a crush on Vermette, it's odd that he of all people has been rendered so accurately for a few years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00