Injury Report: Post-season injury thread

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Now it is somewhat understandable why Stalberg's ability to capitalize on a turnover into a possibly series winning breakaway just seconds before Kunitz ending the season. No strength to stop that puck with abdominal injury. Just getting over one myself and mas me shudder to think how these with that!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Bunch of warriors, all I gotta say.

Looking at the 11 a.m. presser for a bit though, it doesn't appear they are thinking a big move next year, PD thinks the team has grown.

#1C will put this team over the top if the rest stays relatively status quo. As Pierre said, trades are fun to talk about but "easier said than done" in the salary cap era.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I had heard from my source in round 2 that Stalberg had a hernia.

Edit looks like he may have a rib injury as well.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
As suspected, a ton of Sens were walking wounded and gutting it out. Makes the run more remarkable. Of course, only the other teams had injuries or were badly banged up if you listened to the Sportsnet broadcasts.

Going deep is rough!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bunch of warriors, all I gotta say.

Looking at the 11 a.m. presser for a bit though, it doesn't appear they are thinking a big move next year, PD thinks the team has grown.

#1C will put this team over the top if the rest stays relatively status quo. As Pierre said, trades are fun to talk about but "easier said than done" in the salary cap era.

Did it look like a big deal was on the horizon when we traded Zibanejad? I don't remember any talk leading into the offseason that big changes (outside of coach and GM) were in the works.

Honestly though, I wouldn't blame Dorion if he determined that our big change was going to be having a full year of MacArthur, and adding Chabot to the roster.

Expectations this coming season should be higher because we no longer have the growing pains associated with a new coach/system.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
We won the Stanley cup of injuries.

DBAa3qQUwAAYFE7.jpg

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Which one had the cut on his side that Melnyk suggested?

Not specifically mentioned.

Stalberg played through tremendoes pain rib issues

Zack Smith played through tremendous pain rib and abdominal

Brassard shoulder - a lot of pain

Stone never got back to 100% with his leg injury

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seeing that list with all those guys suffering from back issues, gotta say I'm surprised it didn't list Karlsson as having a bad back after carrying this team to the conference finals... Hiyo!

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Not surprised with the Stone leg injury - he's a slow player but usually very strong positionally. Often times during the playoffs he looked like he was just lagging behind the play.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Did it look like a big deal was on the horizon when we traded Zibanejad? I don't remember any talk leading into the offseason that big changes (outside of coach and GM) were in the works.

Honestly though, I wouldn't blame Dorion if he determined that our big change was going to be having a full year of MacArthur, and adding Chabot to the roster.

Expectations this coming season should be higher because we no longer have the growing pains associated with a new coach/system.

Add White in to that mix and I think resigning Pyatt and Stalberg and that'll be hit. That's what I'm pulling for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
THE WALKING WOUNDED

GM Pierre Dorion outlined the injuries the players performed with during the post-season.

Erik Karlsson: Two cracks in foot and muscle issues
Mark Borowiecki: High ankle sprain
Alex Burrows: High ankle sprain
Cody Ceci: Broken finger several times
Zack Smith: Rib and abdominal muscles pulled
Viktor Stalberg: Rib pain
Chris Neil: Sprained hand
Dion Phaneuf: Wrist injury
Craig Anderson: Back issue
Tom Pyatt: Ankle injury
Derick Brassard: Shoulder issue
Fredrick Claesson: Back issue
Marc Methot: Finger injury
Mark Stone: Leg injury
Ryan Dzingel: Wrist injury

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/condon-and-senators-not-close-on-a-contract

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Interesting that Wingels was not injured. This means that he was scratched because Guy just didn't like his play. He looked fine to me. Looked a lot better than the 3 minutes of Kelly and White. I would have played him in game 7. Maybe he would have made a difference.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Interesting that Wingels was not injured. This means that he was scratched because Guy just didn't like his play. He looked fine to me. Looked a lot better than the 3 minutes of Kelly and White. I would have played him in game 7. Maybe he would have made a difference.

I agree. I was pleased with Wingels. I figured it would be him or Dzingel each game, but he definitely should have played game 7 over Kelly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree. I was pleased with Wingels. I figured it would be him or Dzingel each game, but he definitely should have played game 7 over Kelly.

Pretty sure Kelly played because of Brassards shoulder, they wanted another center and weren't satisfied with Wingels in that role (still would have preferred Wingels, but too late now). I think the real problem might have been not getting White into more games in the reg season; had been given more of an opportunity back when the season wasn't on the line (I know, the season was on the line late in the year, so it's a moot point), then maybe he gains the coaches trust and steps in over Kelly.

Kind of funny; all year long, it was our bottom line that was our biggest weakness, so we go out and add Wingels, Stalberg and Burrows to prop it up into an asset, then come playoffs, it ends up being that depth that gets injured enough to miss games (Burrows and Stalberg) and that's what imo cost us the series.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I liked Wingels too.. I brought some physicality and was good on the forecheck.

He was scratched more than once ... He was scratched in favour of Dzingel too when Dzingel wasn't doing very much. (I get Dzingel has speed)

Not sure if he was not reading and reacting the way Guy would like him to.. no idea.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Teams that wins the cup are usually pretty healthy. Pittsburgh backend has a lot of injuries but their style does not require them to be very good. Their defensive system is all backcheck pressure from the forwards.

One way to stay healthy would be to have a more depth throughout the year. Coach played with 3 lines for a good part of the season because he couldn't trust Lazar-Kelly-Neal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brassard out 4-5 months with torn labrum requiring surgery- per Dorion on TSN1200

Yikes crappy news. That could stretch to 5-6 months too depending. I had my shoulder operated on for a torn labrum, detached bicep plus bone spurs over a year ago. I asked the doc for a time frame to be able to run a chain saw as an example ... and he said at least 6 months... In my case I would say 6-8 months. But I'm old and don't have access to free physio and all the facilities Brass will have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad