Post-mortem on the season

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
RE : Phil not sitting.

Were Tocchet still around, could he have convinced Phil to sit?

And I'm not saying that's why we lost, but just, in a vacuum, I wonder.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Nobody's saying he was the sole reason we lost. The issue is the cornerstone defenseman that our blueline is built around is so volatile and prone to mind-boggling mistakes that are glaringly obvious and easy to identify as directly resulting in losses. Not sure how anyone can defend Letang's play in game 5. He wasn't the only problem, but he was a glaring, "gigantic neon sign pointing in his direction" problem.

There's a lot of blame to go around, anyone who disputes that is just incorrect. Murray's gotta be better, and I think he knows that more than anyone else on Earth. Rust's gotta be better, he's too good and too important a depth guy to simply disappear when the team needs him the most. Sheary's a lost cause, just a total imposter of a player whenever the playoffs come around for three years now. Simon, for as much as I think he could still be a useful and effective 4th liner, isn't a scoring line guy. Injuries killed the game of two of our most important supporting players in Kessel and Brassard. We didn't finish a multitude of glorious, "here's a freebie" chances that would've put the games and series away.

Trust me, there's a lot of reasons we lost, but Letang's gaffes in games 3 and 5 (especially the latter) were just absolutely backbreaking and very much cost us the series as much or more so than any other factor.

Letang cost them game five, but I could argue Maatta’s mistakes cost them games three and last night.

Some people just want someone to blame. Kind of silly to me but to each their own. I’m not a big Maatta fan, but I’m not wigging out wanting him moved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Letang cost them game five, but I could argue Maatta’s mistakes cost them games three and last night.

Some people just want someone to blame. Kind of silly to me but to each their own. I’m not a big Maatta fan, but I’m not wigging out wanting him moved.
It's less about wanting someone to blame and being bored on a message board of irrationally devoted sports fans discussing who is to blame. :laugh:

I'd like both Letang and Maatta gone, but if it's only one move, I'd pick Letang for many reasons, not least of all is the comparison in values as assets and the corresponding returns.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's official, Letang is the new MAF.
I know you're being snarky, but there's definitely truth to that. This Letang is very reminiscent of the bad playoff MAF from years ago. High end potential, crazy athleticism and talent, but volatile as all Hell and prone to game-ruining f*** ups.

Reactions: ncm7772

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I know you're being snarky, but there's definitely truth to that. This Letang is very reminiscent of the bad playoff MAF from years ago. High end potential, crazy athleticism and talent, but volatile as all Hell and prone to game-ruining **** ups.

I see it as more of the "one guy being blamed for a whole team losing". There's lots of blame to go around on this run. Lots of entire no-shows. Murray being mortal. Injuries. I mean, anyone outside of Sid, Jake, and Horny is at fault.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Are you referring to the 1st Caps' goal by Chiasson? If you are, then that's exactly what I'm referring to about our guys (often our defense) seeming to not pay attention to the Cap in the slot. I know it was a weak goal for Murray to let squeak in, but I don't understand what Maatta was doing on that play. His D partner already was chasing the guy behind the net, so Maatta had essentially one job: cover the guy in front so he couldn't shoot if the pass went to him.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Prosecution rests, your honor.
If Fleury left after 2012, sure, Letang is the new (2012) Fleury. But Fleury didn't leave after 2012. Fleury left on a very high note in this organization and after very good play - was spectacular in the Capitals series last year.

Not saying Letang can't rebound, but he's not going to do it here.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I know you're being snarky, but there's definitely truth to that. This Letang is very reminiscent of the bad playoff MAF from years ago. High end potential, crazy athleticism and talent, but volatile as all Hell and prone to game-ruining **** ups.
Defensemen and goalies have very different jobs.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
If Fleury left after 2012, sure, Letang is the new 2012 Fleury. But Fleury didn't leave after 2012. Fleury left on a very high note in this organization and after very good play - and was spectacular in the Capitals series last year.

Not saying Letang can't rebound, but he's not going to do it here.

Thanks for making my point. The '12 series was a shit show for everyone on the team, but MAF takes all the blame. Hell, some even blame him for all of '10-'15, including the series where we scored 2 goals against the Bruins and he didn't even play. Or the series where we couldn't score on Halak, or the series where we didn't have Sid and Geno. That he came back and played like he did last year is just icing on the cake.

It's not just on one guy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I see it as more of the "one guy being blamed for a whole team losing". There's lots of blame to go around on this run. Lots of entire no-shows. Murray being mortal. Injuries. I mean, anyone outside of Sid, Jake, and Horny is at fault.
I don't disagree, but Letang was as responsible for our game 5 loss as anyone. Arguably more so than anyone else. Plenty of blame to go around for this series, as has been exhibited by dozens of posts (from myself included), but specifically Letang was, at certain crucial points, putrid. I don't know if we really need to talk about Rust's no-show, or Sheary being a nothingmancer for the third playoff in a row, or injuries severely hampering the effectiveness and production of Kessel and Brassard, or Murray being far worse than the previous two Cup runs, etc. when discussing Letang's colossal collapse during multiple games in this series.

Reactions: hockey07278771

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for making my point. The '12 series was a **** show for everyone on the team, but MAF takes all the blame. Hell, some even blame him for all of '10-'15, including the series where we scored 2 goals against the Bruins and he didn't even play. Or the series where we couldn't score on Halak, or the series where we didn't have Sid and Geno. That he came back and played like he did last year is just icing on the cake.

It's not just on one guy.

I don't think a single Penguin fan has ever blamed Fleury for the 2013 series he didn't even play in. I think you just added that to make it sound like he gets blamed for everything.

Whenever his performance is brought up in regards to that season, it's about his performance against the Islanders in the first round that resulted in Vokoun taking over.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Are you referring to the 1st Caps' goal by Chiasson? If you are, then that's exactly what I'm referring to about our guys (often our defense) seeming to not pay attention to the Cap in the slot. I know it was a weak goal for Murray to let squeak in, but I don't understand what Maatta was doing on that play. His D partner already was chasing the guy behind the net, so Maatta had essentially one job: cover the guy in front so he couldn't shoot if the pass went to him.

Yep, really shitty read. Should have slid to the circle and let the F1 shade in front. One could argue his mistakes were more costly and erroneous than Letang’s mistakes, but it wouldn’t fit the Letang narrative around here.

Reactions: Riptide

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don't think a single Penguin fan has ever blamed Fleury for the 2013 series he didn't even play in. I think you just added that to make it sound like he gets blamed for everything.

Whenever his performance is brought up in regards to that season, it's about his performance against the Islanders in the first round that resulted in Vokoun taking over.

It's a slight exaggeration. He gets lumped in with Bylsma (to a much lesser extent) for all '10-'15 failures. I was just mentioning the exits. Point is still the same. This board has an irrational belief that it's all someones fault and they should be burned at the stake. Figuratively. Just being specific there.

It's never a team effort, and maybe more importantly, it's never ... because we weren't the better team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don’t blame MAF for 2013, but he was definitely a joke that season.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Well, he'll be the new MAF if he ends up in Seattle and Seattle's coach actually get him to adjust his game.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Well, he'll be the new MAF if he ends up in Seattle and Seattle's coach actually get him to adjust his game.
Still doesn't really apply. MAF was great for us last year, and he'd still be here if not for the expansion draft rules regarding protecting players. The reason he's gone is not because he was a problem, it was because it meant keeping him or Murray, the goalie who is more than a decade younger and had just played a crucial role in back to back Cup wins. :laugh:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
That open letter was disgusting. Not that it would have taken an Einstein to figure this out, but wow ... have they been bitter.

Yes they have been... so much pain and disappointment. They just blew their emotional money shot.

It read of someone who would stab a stuffed penguin with pins in a room with a flickering lightbulb laughing psychotically.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Uh, it was a long change, and it’s OT, you make changes as quickly as you can and when the opportunity arises. He assumed a gifted player could take a 2t2 pass and his almost always reliable partner wasn’t going rogue.

And no, he wasn’t close enough for the change, it’s quite easy to see.

That should have been a routine play for Crosby and Dumo, sadly they both made mistakes together at the worst time. Blaming Letang on that play means you have an axe to grind with him or you have no clue what you were watching.

You must not understand how they do changes now of days. Where he's at if he's changing the guy is already on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00