Post-mortem on the season

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens looked like the best team in hockey right before they traded for Brass.

If they didn't make that trade we will never how the team would of played, but i know the Brass trade def didn't help the pens.

I love when people make these comments...not everything is cause and effect...my nephew comes to stay with me and the next day I lose my job...it doesn’t mean my nephew was the cause of me losing my job...lol....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's not that we lost, it's how we lost. We handed them two games that we had in the bag completely. That is what sucks, not losing.

Lack of finish. Murray not playing as well as he had in the previous two runs. Injuries. Lackluster performances from too many guys. The defensive play--both from forwards as well as defense--was a shitshow all year. Letang pulled a MAF-esque meltdown at the wrong time.

I don't care that we aren't gonna win another Cup. Back to back is something we'll likely never see again in our lives, it was insanely special. We'd have gotten crushed by Tampa anyway because we're an extremely flawed team carried at times by elite, clutch play from big names. But we lost this series as much or more so than the Caps won it. Call me bitter, call me a homer, but we blew two games that we absolutely should've won and that was enough to advance despite all of our shortcomings.

Ah well. Rest up, heal up. Get ready, JR, you've got some work to do.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I'd trade lack of finish for ability to preserve 3rd period lead.
Agree finish was a huge problem and puck luck was hilariously against us.
But even with all that, HOLD a lead (as we did automatically all year), and we're resting now after 5 games and prepping for TB.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Murray should spend the summer taking shots to his wrist hand. The book is out on how to be him.

Letang was even a moron in the Philly series, taking a penalty in the last few minutes of a game. He needs to go screw some other team over. Get rid of Letang.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
An open letter to the Pittsburgh Penguins and their fans

This really was their cup wasnt it?

A letter rubbing our nose in it, disguised as a congrats on a great run letter.

They truly are trying to convince themselves that they ripped our hearts out of our chest stopping the 3 peat, and that we are just hiding the unbearable pain deep down.

I guess they need to get this out. All these years of losing. The gotta strut around like a peacock as much as they can. Before Tampa Bay rips them back to reality.

Reactions: 66871

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
There's not even a name attached to the article. Kinda ridiculous. It doesn't seem like it's directly from the team or Crazy Ted, but I can't really tell for sure.

I doubt or at least I hope it isn't from The Capitals Organization.

I think it said NBCS Washington.

So probably just a journalist who is also a Caps fan who has a platform to beat their chest, and did it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I cannot even grasp thinking that the brassard trade made us a worse team. Do people forget that Kessel got hurt the game or two before the trade, and geno fell off right then? Do people also forget that brassard was playing very well prior to his injury?

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Raise your hand if you were laughing by the third time the writer insisted we must be devastated. God I hope whoever wrote that checks his backlinks. lol

That's what made it funny to me.

They kept forcing the point that we had to be devastated that they ruined our 3peat and that is just sting and burn us to the very core. Something that we will lose sleep over.

I cant tell if he was trying to convince us to be upset, or if they were trying to convince themselves that they finally burned us good.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
They acted like we hadn't won a cup in 100 yrs and they just ended our best chance at one and we are all lined up to plunge off the fort pitt bridge.

Reactions: ncm7772 and 66871

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
They acted like we hadn't won a cup in 100 yrs and they just ended our best chance at one and we are all lined up to plunge off the fort pitt bridge.
Heh heh c'mon man it's the equivalent of winning the Stanley Cup for them, they have to vent it out until they're out of wind, just like their team will be, sooner than later, old habits...

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I cannot even grasp thinking that the brassard trade made us a worse team. Do people forget that Kessel got hurt the game or two before the trade, and geno fell off right then? Do people also forget that brassard was playing very well prior to his injury?

Did you forget that Ian Cole won 2 games against the Caps, which is exactly the number of games we needed to move on. That trade truly cost this series.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

May 17, 2009
Maine

Exactly, that's the kind of article you write when you eliminate the Leafs.

BillPrep

Jun 2, 2016
I love when people make these comments...not everything is cause and effect...my nephew comes to stay with me and the next day I lose my job...it doesn’t mean my nephew was the cause of me losing my job...lol....

did your nephew, at least, offer to kick in some money for rent and food and such...?

That's what made it funny to me.

They kept forcing the point that we had to be devastated that they ruined our 3peat and that is just sting and burn us to the very core. Something that we will lose sleep over.

I cant tell if he was trying to convince us to be upset, or if they were trying to convince themselves that they finally burned us good.

I feel less 'devastated' about who they lost to (bound to happen eventually) and more 'irritated' that the Pens didn't play their best game...gaffes, complacency, injuries, whatever. that is was DC that they lost to, while it exacerbated the irritation last night, barely registers this afternoon...

if I knew the fixes I'd be getting payed a lot more than I am, so I will withhold my half-baked attempts at 'fixing' the Pens...

Reactions: Riptide

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd be a bit worried about the Caps having a major let-down against the Bolts. I mean, holy **** that's a lot of emotional investment in defeating us.

Reminds me a bit of Philly after they beat the Pens in 2012. They were so pumped to prove they were the best team in the state, everyone was anointing Giroux the Conn Smythe favorite because of his series, only for them to lose to the Devils quite decisively the next round.

Washington's got to reset and forget Pittsburgh even exists, and beating them was nothing more than beating any other team to get to the next round.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
we'll never know for sure. but murray looked like he was rounding back into form and then Maatta rang one off his noggin and when he came back was back at his earlier in the season form. If that concussion doesn't happen do we get a better version of Murray?

We had some flaws last go around, but goal tending hides a multitude of sins, this time goal tending didn't bail us out. I know it's not popular here, but our #1 issue was goal tending.
Followed closely by defensive breakdowns, and all of our secondary scoring disappearing. Still with all those flaws, we should have won this series.

But glaringly you can't give away 2 games like we did and expect to advance.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
An open letter to the Pittsburgh Penguins and their fans

This really was their cup wasnt it?

A letter rubbing our nose in it, disguised as a congrats on a great run letter.

They truly are trying to convince themselves that they ripped our hearts out of our chest stopping the 3 peat, and that we are just hiding the unbearable pain deep down.

I guess they need to get this out. All these years of losing. The gotta strut around like a peacock as much as they can. Before Tampa Bay rips them back to reality.

Whoever wrote that is a sad, angry person. I actually chuckled a few times because, well, it's just kind of dumb.

Fenrir009

May 2, 2018
I just saw a team that seemed to have little to nothing left in the tank at this point both physically and mentally. Injuries to key players and lack of depth in defense only compounded those issues further. The Caps also looked like they had really prepared for us too and always had more energy throughout the series. I'm still disappointed it ended the way it did but it wasn't as aggravating to me as the way our seasons ended in 2011, 2012 and 2013. I have no doubt if we had managed to pull this series off that we wouldn't last more than 5 games probably against the Bolts.

Disappointment aside, I still hope to see the Caps get torched by Tampa.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
did your nephew, at least, offer to kick in some money for rent and food and such...?

Lol...no but I didn’t really lose my job, poetic license and such...I’m self employed, which means I love to work at nothing all day....

Reactions: BillPrep

May 17, 2009
Maine
Murray should spend the summer taking shots to his wrist hand. The book is out on how to be him.

Letang was even a moron in the Philly series, taking a penalty in the last few minutes of a game. He needs to go screw some other team over. Get rid of Letang.

generate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->