POST MORTEM - 2013-14 Season+Playoffs

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
I'm still fine with them passing on Bourque.

I'm fine with them passing on him long term, I was thinking more for the playoff run.

Bourque just seems to have a lot more energy and physicality than PAP even came close to! Besides PAPs tying goal in that one game I only noticed him for negative things.

I don't think Bourque scores than tying goal but I also think it would have been a different series if we had someone who showed a bit of interest in the series.

Now though, it's irrelevant and I just hope he can strengthen our D and try and add some size!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
P.A is good he is really underated. Played like **** due to injuries but got back in the swing of things with some time. If he gets traded it better be for something good. Skilled top 6 wingers don't grow on trees.

Don't know why everyone wants him gone so bad

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I like PaP. He has skill. He had some good games as the playoffs got on.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
PA > Tanguay plus one can pretty much assume Tangs will miss time at one point or another. He's had some major issues this season and he's not getting younger.

Think of it this way, he played 30 less games for us than Shattenkirk did and I can't even remember that

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I'm okay with PAP but I don't want to see him manning the point on the PP ever again.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Agreed. Maybe try to recoup that second they traded to the Flames. If not, just get the highest pick you possibly can for him. Frees up some more cap space to improve the defense or to get a forward who'll be a better fit.

I don't think Tanguay is going anywhere.

Tanguay is great and all but the guy will be lucky to play 70 games next year. PAP didn't have a great year, but the avs need depth on the wings big time.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Tanguay is great and all but the guy will be lucky to play 70 games next year. PAP didn't have a great year, but the avs need depth on the wings big time.

yep, Tanguay will be our new Leopold .... made of glass

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I hope PAP stays. The criticism and writing off of him by so many people this year really surprised me, even given his performances.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I think the only reason PAP was on the point was because of lack of personnel. This team desperately needs a good point shot for it's PP.

True on both accounts, though even with the personnel at their disposal I'd have preferred ROR on the point. Obviously the coaches saw things in practice and determined PAP was better for whatever reason, and I'm hesitant to second guess, but man did PAP look like a fish out of water there. It's hard to believe ROR with all his hockey sense wouldn't have handled the duties better.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If Tanguay is completely healthy next year PAP is most likely gone.

Both need to be replaced within 2 seasons. I think both will be around for next season. I don't think management will get anyone that they want for PAP so they are stuck with him and hope his knees recover and is just slow and not super slow.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The biggest problem with trading PAP (if you don't sign Paulie and another winger) is that you're counting on Tanguay to stay healthy throughout the year which is something he didn't do in his 20's.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I hope PAP stays. The criticism and writing off of him by so many people this year really surprised me, even given his performances.

I absolutely agree. It's a bit sad that people can't see it from his point of view. The guy is amongst a few brightspots only one season ago. Plays extremely well with Duchene and ties him for the team lead coming close to a PPG. A new coach comes in, mixes everything up and he ends up starting the season on a 3rd line with rookie MacKinnon and Jamie McGinn. That's a pretty big adjustment.

Despite the injuries, he seemed to play much better at the end of the first round of the playoffs and was one of our better forwards when the season was on the line.

I like PAP, while I don't think he'll ever be that great 2 way player some people seem to expect him to be, I think he's a guy who can put up points and help out on the PP. In my opinion, he has good value and is signed to a decent deal given his production.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I absolutely agree. It's a bit sad that people can't see it from his point of view. The guy is amongst a few brightspots only one season ago. Plays extremely well with Duchene and ties him for the team lead coming close to a PPG. A new coach comes in, mixes everything up and he ends up starting the season on a 3rd line with rookie MacKinnon and Jamie McGinn. That's a pretty big adjustment.

Despite the injuries, he seemed to play much better at the end of the first round of the playoffs and was one of our better forwards when the season was on the line.

I like PAP, while I don't think he'll ever be that great 2 way player some people seem to expect him to be, I think he's a guy who can put up points and help out on the PP. In my opinion, he has good value and is signed to a decent deal given his production.

So you're left with the reality of having to play Tanguay or PAP on the 3rd line again. Avs desperately need a defenseman. One guy has trade value, one guy doesn't.

I don't think anyone expects him to be a two way player. They expect him to be a productive offensive player. The one thing the Avs don't really need.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Personally I have little issues with PAP, he's what he is and I knew what we were getting when we signed him, the one and only reason I see him on the move is because he's a guy on a good contract who could attract some attention around the league and he holds decent value despite what ignoramuses on the main boards are saying about him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So you're left with the reality of having to play Tanguay or PAP on the 3rd line again. Avs desperately need a defenseman. One guy has trade value, one guy doesn't.

I don't think anyone expects him to be a two way player. They expect him to be a productive offensive player. The one thing the Avs don't really need.

When the Avs needed a goalie, they went out and got a goalie. They paid what was generally acknowledged to be a very steep price for him too, at the time. In hindsight, we robbed the Capitals and contributed to costing McPhee his job.

The point is, we have assets that could be considered very attractive to other teams: 1st round picks in 2014 & 2015 (especially amongst those in the "oh, they'll surely fall back down to earth...next year" camp). They also have 2nd and 3rd round picks as well as a variety of prospects. The quality of those prospects very much depends on how other team's see them and how they evaluate them. I think there's a way to acquire a solid d-man without necessarily giving up a roster player.

Since before the start of the seaon, I've always maintained that you put Tanguay with MacKinnon on the 3rd line, sit back and enjoy the show as they absolutely destroy other teams' 3rd pairing d-men. Unfortunately, Tanguay got injured early on and Mack wasn't ready at the start of the season.

Seriously, we just saw in the playoffs how easy we were to play against with a few injuries. I don't even think a solid 2 line team is the way to go. I'd like to see a playoff series with these forward lines, if everyone was healthy:

RoR-Duchene-Parenteau
Lando-Stastny-McGinn
Tanguay-MacK-Talbot
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy

Maybe that's not what you go with all the time but to be able to pull this out of your back pocket and keep the other team's guessing is huge. I believe Tanguay can be a similar player to Drouin who can find Mack and set him up all the time. He actually turned Laperriere into a 20 goal scorer the year before he was traded to Calgary playing on the 3rd line.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

No team will trade a top 5 dman for $4M-a-year PAP and we don't need another bottom 6 D (we have plenty of those already). So either we keep him or give him away for a pick/cheap 3rd liner (if there's any taker) and use the 4M on someone else.

I'd not mind giving him away for a late pick if they would use the money to sign Niskanen, for example.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad