POST MORTEM - 2013-14 Season+Playoffs

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think this team will take a step back next year but will be in the final 4 within the 3 years that follow.

Yeah, hard to argue with this. The nucleus is forming, and it should be pretty good. Chances are they don't win the division next year, but we are just a couple of dudes and experience away from having a pretty damned good team.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah we made big strides with our current core.

The trouble is, we have no system depth, and so it's hard to trade offense for defense without gutting our only area of strength. As we saw this playoffs, without guys who can step up from the minors, that pretty forward depth evaporates in a hurry.

We need to make a big trade to improve the defense, and get creative to find another competent defender at a lower price. There's a lot of forward talent available each year it seems and I think our best bet would be able to build a trade around a forward and our first (+ whatever) to acquire a guy to play with EJ, and then replace the lost depth at forward through FA. Markov won't sign here and the rest of what's available in FA is pretty awful.

I honestly think that Roy and Sakic felt that the Avs would be much better but I don't think they thought they'd do nearly as well as they did this season. I think Roy felt they'd probably squeeze into the playoffs, not win the division. The 'system depth' was supposed to be guys like Holden & Guenin and they ended up playing most of the year.

I really think that this season was supposed to really just be a "OK we're taking over, we're going to evaluate the organization from top to bottom" and they never expected to do as well as they did. That's likely why they didn't even try to add someone at the trade deadline, Roy probably felt so proud of these guys who were supposed to be AHLers, that he didn't feel it was fair to trade for some help on D and have those guys lose their lineup spot.

You have to think that the fact that the Avs signed Guenin and Holden with the premise that they'd be the 'first call-ups' from the minors and ended up making the most of their opportunity really bodes well for future depth players deciding to sign with us.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Amazing season! Disappointing end but infinitely times better than missing the playoffs again. I'm a happy fan.

One bleak note, it takes a lot to make me fell embarrassed to be an Avs fan. But Talbot's dive was that bad.

I usually hate seeing players dive, and I didn't like Cliche's (or was it Benoit?) dive earlier in the series, but this was game 7. The Avs pretty much never dove or embellished calls all year, but this was a tight game, and at the time it felt like the next call would go the Avs way. Talbot did a pretty poor acting job, but he was doing everything he could to get an edge.

The Wild dove and embellished to draw more than a few calls in this series. It's the same as them cheating in the faceoff circle and dominating on draws, if you're not going to match that, you're leaving yourself at a big disadvantage.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I honestly think that Roy and Sakic felt that the Avs would be much better but I don't think they thought they'd do nearly as well as they did this season. I think Roy felt they'd probably squeeze into the playoffs, not win the division. The 'system depth' was supposed to be guys like Holden & Guenin and they ended up playing most of the year.

I really think that this season was supposed to really just be a "OK we're taking over, we're going to evaluate the organization from top to bottom" and they never expected to do as well as they did. That's likely why they didn't even try to add someone at the trade deadline, Roy probably felt so proud of these guys who were supposed to be AHLers, that he didn't feel it was fair to trade for some help on D and have those guys lose their lineup spot.

You have to think that the fact that the Avs signed Guenin and Holden with the premise that they'd be the 'first call-ups' from the minors and ended up making the most of their opportunity really bodes well for future depth players deciding to sign with us.

This x1000. We keep talking about how we should have added Mezaros or Stempniak at the deadline. I think we lost sight that Roy and Sakic were looking at this season as an evaluation period. Roy talked about a Stanley Cup winning attitude and that's what we got from these players. Just because we overachieved this season doesn't mean that the team will drop like a rock next season.

I'm getting tired of hearing and seeing people talking about how we're going to fall next season. Do you really think Duchene, Landeskog, ROR, MacKinnon, EJ, Barrie, etc. are going to just regress next season? They haven't even reached their potential. This is just the beginning.

Do you think Roy who played behind some great defenses, who wanted to win the Cup every season he was in the NHL, and who is OCD about coaching even while being a goalie is satisfied right now? Roy knows the deficiencies that this team has. The mess that is our organization system isn't his fault, in fact we're seeing him and Sakic go out and sign players that have a chance at turning LEM around.

Roy has talked how they have a long term vision. The vision wasn't to trade for #7 defenders that might be able to help at the deadline or for someone who would play on the 3rd line. Playoffs didn't go so well, no doubts there. Look at the Pens, Hawks and Bruins before they won their Cups. Pens knocked out in the first round then lose the Cup in 6 games. The Hawks out in the first round before their Cup. The Bruins become the third team in history to lose a series 4-3 after being up 3-0 before their Cup.

I'm pissed we're not moving on and playing the Hawks. To say this team is a one shot wonder just doesn't make any sense. This isn't a Sacco lead team running just passion. You don't win the division by fluke. We all watched this season, we have seen these players finally starting to play as team and moving forward together. I know we love to be negative but come on.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Kings too, this core took a couple of beatings from the Sharks IIRC before getting their act together and now they're a dominant team in the post-season.

Little Bo Pete

Feb 12, 2009
He was pretty good. Will get another contract. Avs should probably look elsewhere because they have better players in the pipeline, and hopefully sign a quality FA on the backend...there's no room for Benoit, IMO.

Thanks! Glad to hear he held his own!

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
The playoffs absolutely cemented to me that Roy has to change his PP philosophy. What he was preaching just wasn't working. We have too many good forwards to be that abysmal.

I don't agree with this. PP was working well when Dutchy comes back. We lost Tanguay, Dutchy, Barrie, who all would have play if healthy. It was quite obvious how much we missed them.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I wonder when locker clean out is or when the players and coaches will do their final interviews. Always interested to see if anyone else was playing with any injuries we weren't aware of.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Will probably come out that Guenin was playing with 2 left feet. Pretty good season, all things considered.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
In hindsight, seeing the difference between PAP and Bourque in the playoffs so far that seems like a pretty good trade right now.

Long term though, who knows?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In hindsight, seeing the difference between PAP and Bourque in the playoffs so far that seems like a pretty good trade right now.

Long term though, who knows?

If Stastny is re-signed there won't be room for another top 6'er anyway, so PAP has to be traded for a defenseman. Even if Staz isn't re-signed, and Mack shifts back to center, Ginner can play in the top six, and there's also a few decent 2nd/3rd line wingers in UFA this summer to go after.

I'm still fine with them passing on Bourque.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
so PAP has to be traded for a defenseman
I'm still fine with them passing on Bourque.

I think we could actually get quite a decent defenseman in a trade if we were ready to let go of Parenteau and Tanguay. Those would be the only two forwards I'd be willing to let go of. Even without them in the lineup our offense wasn't having any trouble at all scoring a bunch of goals.

I do however think that letting go of either O'Reilly or Stastny could seriously hinder our offensive game and bring it down several notches from this year.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I think we could actually get quite a decent defenseman in a trade if we were ready to let go of Parenteau and Tanguay. Those would be the only two forwards I'd be willing to let go of. Even without them in the lineup our offense wasn't having any trouble at all scoring a bunch of goals.

I do however think that letting go of either O'Reilly or Stastny could seriously hinder our offensive game and bring it down several notches from this year.

Tangs was brought in here by Roy.
No chance in hell he is traded.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010

I'm afraid Parenteau and Tanguay won't get you much. Maybe a 4/5 guy. Both have had some serious injuries this year. Tanguay is in his twilight and Pap is as soft as butter but can be a streaky scorer.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm afraid Parenteau and Tanguay won't get you much. Maybe a 4/5 guy. Both have had some serious injuries this year. Tanguay is in his twilight and Pap is as soft as butter but can be a streaky scorer.

Agreed. Both have virtually no trade value: Tangs because of age/injury and they'd have a hard time to give PAP away for free because of his contract (2 more years @ 4M per). Remember that PAP's contract was the reason why Bergevin didn't make a deal.

Assuming that Stastny is leaving and they use that money to pay a #1 D, I expect PAP to play on the Duchene/ROR line and Tanguay with Mack and Landy (or the other way around).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
PAP looks like a pick dump or a throw in to me.

Agreed. Maybe try to recoup that second they traded to the Flames. If not, just get the highest pick you possibly can for him. Frees up some more cap space to improve the defense or to get a forward who'll be a better fit.

I don't think Tanguay is going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad