POST MORTEM - 2013-14 Season+Playoffs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
When the Avs needed a goalie, they went out and got a goalie. They paid what was generally acknowledged to be a very steep price for him too, at the time. In hindsight, we robbed the Capitals and contributed to costing McPhee his job.

The point is, we have assets that could be considered very attractive to other teams: 1st round picks in 2014 & 2015 (especially amongst those in the "oh, they'll surely fall back down to earth...next year" camp). They also have 2nd and 3rd round picks as well as a variety of prospects. The quality of those prospects very much depends on how other team's see them and how they evaluate them. I think there's a way to acquire a solid d-man without necessarily giving up a roster player.

Since before the start of the seaon, I've always maintained that you put Tanguay with MacKinnon on the 3rd line, sit back and enjoy the show as they absolutely destroy other teams' 3rd pairing d-men. Unfortunately, Tanguay got injured early on and Mack wasn't ready at the start of the season.

Seriously, we just saw in the playoffs how easy we were to play against with a few injuries. I don't even think a solid 2 line team is the way to go. I'd like to see a playoff series with these forward lines, if everyone was healthy:

RoR-Duchene-Parenteau
Lando-Stastny-McGinn
Tanguay-MacK-Talbot
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy

Maybe that's not what you go with all the time but to be able to pull this out of your back pocket and keep the other team's guessing is huge. I believe Tanguay can be a similar player to Drouin who can find Mack and set him up all the time. He actually turned Laperriere into a 20 goal scorer the year before he was traded to Calgary playing on the 3rd line.

Mack isn't going to be a 3rd liner. Even with a 3 scoring line approach. Roy just isn't going to go that route, he'll have the 3rd line play more of a two way, physical, grinding game. One which PAP isn't suited for.

I agree they need to improve the 3rd line a bit, but all they need is one 3rd liner. PAP or Tanguay aren't going to help in that area.

Mack and Tanguay will be the two top 6 RWers if Staz re-signs, and McGinn and Mitchell will be on the 3rd line. Their target IMO should be Goc to play between the two.

No team will trade a top 5 dman for $4M-a-year PAP and we don't need another bottom 6 D (we have plenty of those already). So either we keep him or give him away for a pick/cheap 3rd liner (if there's any taker) and use the 4M on someone else.

I'd not mind giving him away for a late pick if they would use the money to sign Niskanen, for example.

By top 5 D man, are you saying the Avs can't put together a package for a #5 D man? They easily can do that. They should hopefully be able to get a decent top 4 if they add the right pieces to PAP.

Pete Mitchell

"Watch the canopy!!"
Mar 26, 2008
Frederick, CO
So much depends on if Staz is resigned, you have to keep PAP if he isn't McGinn is good but better suited for a 2 way grinding 3rd line. Here's my look if 26 isn't retained for next year:

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Mack-Tangs
UFA/Talbot-Malkin-Ginner
Ginger-Cliché-Bordy/Talbot

Looking at that line up I would prefer to go hard at Kulemin, think he would slot perfectly on that 3rd line. In this scenario we also lose our best trading chip for a top 4 LD, unless you move Staz' rights for one. I hope they give Bigras a 9 game tryout if he impresses in camp and the LD hasn't been filled. Hoping they make a strong pitch but not overpay for Ehrhoff. There really isn't a UFA LD that I would make a run at, Niskinin is going to get overpaid, Markov is going back to Montreal. A #6 RD is what needs to be addressed IMO.

Hejda/UFA/Trade-EJ
Hejda/Holden-Barrie
Bigras-Guenin/Wilson/UFA:help:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A bottom pairing D is the last thing the Avs need more of. They already have several options there.

If Stas goes I was hoping they'd sign a high end forward on the market but as you illustrated then they'll just keep PA. I'm not even sure they'd go for a depth forward, maybe someone who can PK if they want to make Cliche the 13th forward.

Pete Mitchell

"Watch the canopy!!"
Mar 26, 2008
Frederick, CO
A bottom pairing D is the last thing the Avs need more of. They already have several options there.

If Stas goes I was hoping they'd sign a high end forward on the market but as you illustrated then they'll just keep PA. I'm not even sure they'd go for a depth forward, maybe someone who can PK if they want to make Cliche the 13th forward.

Lets just hope that Staz comes back as there really isn't a decent high end forward out there that I want. And then they can focus the efforts on a top paring LD. An upgrade to the bottom pairing is what I'm hoping for as come playoff time Guenin and Wilson aren't ideal. I think the plan is to go into the year with 3 skill lines with the Landy-Staz-Tangs line acting as a scoring and checking line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad