Player Discussion Post draft defencemen thoughts

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
too early to tell if this is going to be a problem or not. You don't want to just hand Juolevi and Hughes roster spots but it would be concerning if they couldn't beat out a majority of the guys in front of them (for Juolevi anyways). Like many others I'm in the start them in the minors camp. Unless one or both come in and give the team no choice but to find them a spot on the roster, in which case trades will have to be made.

I wouldn't worry about Brisebois or Sautner making the team just yet. Neither have really established themselves as top-flight AHL d-men.

What does concern me is the fact that once our young guys start cracking the lineup they'll pretty much end up having to lug around some sub-par partner rather than being able to play sheltered minutes next to a steady vet.

I guarantee that as soon as one of Juolevi or Hughes make the team they're immediately tied to Gudbransson for "protection"

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Juolevi wont make the team. Hughes will. Book it

I think he may HAVE to make the team this year...or not make it at all

Really, after all that's happened, If Joulevi isn't in the starting line-up, and there's NO EXCUSE for him not to be, if he comes to camp and drags around like he's hung-over the way he did last year, I think the team has to get rid of him, just too many negative storylines born of ONE player,

I would look for a Pouliot type situation where some other team decides to try and make him work, while we continue on with Pouliot where Juolevi was penciled in.

This can't go on any longer than training camp,

And save the "He's only 20" we all know what age these players enter the league at, and we all know what the chances are for a top 6 pick not making the NHL in his D + 3 years, so spare me the fantasy excuses, Joulevi has a date with REALITY this fall, and he better be ready to pick up the check

As for Hughes, I think the Canucks might be smart, if he's chomping at the bit to play, to bring him in, if he's made to wait its just another couple of years and a degree away from free agency, he's got no reason to want to play for the Canucks other than its the only NHL team he CAN play for right now, but that won't always be the case,

These NCAA players do make me nervous, because if I were them unless I really needed the money, why not finish your degree, polish your game, then sign wherever the hell you want to play?

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
I think he may HAVE to make the team this year...or not make it at all

Really, after all that's happened, If Joulevi isn't in the starting line-up, and there's NO EXCUSE for him not to be, if he comes to camp and drags around like he's hung-over the way he did last year, I think the team has to get rid of him, just too many negative storylines born of ONE player,

I would look for a Pouliot type situation where some other team decides to try and make him work, while we continue on with Pouliot where Juolevi was penciled in.

This can't go on any longer than training camp,

And save the "He's only 20" we all know what age these players enter the league at, and we all know what the chances are for a top 6 pick not making the NHL in his D + 3 years, so spare me the fantasy excuses, Joulevi has a date with REALITY this fall, and he better be ready to pick up the check

As for Hughes, I think the Canucks might be smart, if he's chomping at the bit to play, to bring him in, if he's made to wait its just another couple of years and a degree away from free agency, he's got no reason to want to play for the Canucks other than its the only NHL team he CAN play for right now, but that won't always be the case,

These NCAA players do make me nervous, because if I were them unless I really needed the money, why not finish your degree, polish your game, then sign wherever the hell you want to play?

Every year they don't sign a deal and play is a year off their professional career...

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
They should’ve traded Gud at the trade deadline last season and grabbed an extra pick for this past draft. It would’ve cleared out some trash on the back end and freed up some space for a younger dman coming up, oh well draft picks are like gold and really hard to get I guess. Whatever these bozos do they better not mess up QH development by pairing him with a plug like Gud. I’d rather Huges just go back to Michigan for 1 more season and let him dominate the NCAA. He needs to develop properly and be kept away from this tire fire for at least one more year.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Has Quinn Hughes made Troy Stecher redundant?.....I think so..wont happen immediately,but the writings already on the wall.

Yeah I agree completely - I don't think there is room for 2 Dmen of his size on the back end. Wonder what his value would be? A third rounder?

Judging by Hughes performance at the WC's he's ready - the main question being whether or not he can hold up to the physical rigours of the NHL on the smaller ice surface. I could see Stetcher being gone sooner rather than later.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I have worries about the NHL defense this year, but not so much about the pipeline.

I'd try and find a trade partner for Gudbranson and for MDZ.

However if we can't trade them, it makes no sense to cram everyone on to the NHL roster.

Ideally I'd run with

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
MDZ-Gudbranson
Biega-Pouliot

Send Juolevi to the AHL
Send Hughes to either the AHL or back to Michigan.

I know it's what we had last year, but I think combining that with losing the Sedins and that's our best shot at Jack Hughes.

I'd like to see something like

Juolevi-Tanev
Hutton-Hughes
Tryamkin-Woo
Brisebois-Stecher

Within the next few years.

Also I think Evan Mceneny will be an NHL player some time sooner than most think.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's super frustrating how badly they're under-utilizing Biega. Ideally, he should be anchoring a sheltered 3rd pairing and teaching a young player the ropes.

He's the only guy other than Edler/Tanev who makes things easier for his partner rather than harder, and ideally, you want to be freeing up Edler/Tanev to play more difficult minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We cannot expect QH to be able to play his game and cover for Gudbransons defensive gaffes as a teenager.

Pair him with Tanev to give him as little to worry about as possible.

Pairing Hughes with tanev puts Hughes out against the opponents best offensive players.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Fast forward to the start of the 20/21 season:

Hughes and Juolevi should be staples taking the top two LD positions. Hughes is a high end PP QB. Juolevi may be able to QB the second unit.
Edler, Del Zotto, Biega, and likely Tanev will be gone. Stecher will likely be a top 4 on the right side. Everything else is wide open.

Big questions:

Which of Hutton or Pouliot, if either, can show they are regular everyday D-men in the league? I'm betting Hutton. Expecting Pouliot to be gone but almost certainly not both in the line-up.
Will Gudbranson be more than filler with risk as a 2nd or 3rd pairing RD? I'm saying he locks in as a reasonable bottom pairing guy.
Will Tryamkin return? I'm thinking he might.
Will any of Woo, Brisebois, Sautner, MacEneny, Rathbone, Utunen, Chatfield become NHL regulars. I think we can expect one, at most two, of these players to become NHL regulars? For argument sake, let's say it's Woo.

So, beginning 20/21

Hughes/Stecher
Juolevi/Tryamkin
Hutton/Gudbranson (or Woo)
Woo (or Gudbranson)

Tanev will still only be 31 so he could slot in beside Hughes to give:

Hughes/Tanev
Juolevi/Tryamkin
Hutton/Gudbranson (or Woo)
Woo (or Gudbranson)

Obviously lots could happen between then and now but I would be happy with that group if they have earned there positions at that point.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
2020/2021

Hughes-Tryamkin
Juolevi-Tanev
Hutton/Stecher-Woo

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Great thread and it's important to discuss the defence corps as our forwards are on track for the near term...

Loved our draft this year. Main topics raised so far are:
#1) Should Quinn Hughes play pro this coming season?
#2) Olli Juolevi - NHL/AHL?

I think the answer to both are a resounding yes if they are ready.

How many undrafted u18 year olds would play meaningful minutes in a tournament with NHL players?

It's sad that this diminutive kid could very well be our best dman already. However, despite his much discussed size, he seems to be excellent in skating and poise... I say Quinn Hughes makes the team to make the lineup look like this..

LD - RD
Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Gudbranson
Del Zotto - Stecher
One of Del Zotto/Biega/Hutton/Juolevi as 7th dman

*Biega - sent to AHL or picked by another team via waivers
*Hutton - traded if you can find suitable compensation
*Del Zotto - see Hutton
*Juolevi - he should be sent down to AHL to 'prove it' just like Stecher had to do despite having an excellent camp at the time... I forget who went down (Sbisa?) in order for Stecher to come up.. I think this applies to both Hughes & Juolevi

If a 1st rder is offered to us, Edler can be traded too.. in which case, Del Zotto & Hutton gets their minutes bumped up..

Ideally, we move MDZ and/or Hutton and we re-sign Edler

The flexibility in all this is that we can send Hughes & Juolevi up and down the lineup, which should negate any excuses by management saying "Oh, I didn't know we need so many defencemen in the West coast".... it'll strictly become "our young guys are not NHL-ready" or "not ready to the rigours of the pro game."

What's the # of games before a player becomes waiver-eligible?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Great thread and it's important to discuss the defence corps as our forwards are on track for the near term...

Loved our draft this year. Main topics raised so far are:
#1) Should Quinn Hughes play pro this coming season?
#2) Olli Juolevi - NHL/AHL?

I think the answer to both are a resounding yes if they are ready.

How many undrafted u18 year olds would play meaningful minutes in a tournament with NHL players?

It's sad that this diminutive kid could very well be our best dman already. However, despite his much discussed size, he seems to be excellent in skating and poise... I say Quinn Hughes makes the team to make the lineup look like this..

LD - RD
Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Gudbranson
Del Zotto - Stecher
One of Del Zotto/Biega/Hutton/Juolevi as 7th dman

*Biega - sent to AHL or picked by another team via waivers
*Hutton - traded if you can find suitable compensation
*Del Zotto - see Hutton
*Juolevi - he should be sent down to AHL to 'prove it' just like Stecher had to do despite having an excellent camp at the time... I forget who went down (Sbisa?) in order for Stecher to come up.. I think this applies to both Hughes & Juolevi

If a 1st rder is offered to us, Edler can be traded too.. in which case, Del Zotto & Hutton gets their minutes bumped up..

Ideally, we move MDZ and/or Hutton and we re-sign Edler

The flexibility in all this is that we can send Hughes & Juolevi up and down the lineup, which should negate any excuses by management saying "Oh, I didn't know we need so many defencemen in the West coast".... it'll strictly become "our young guys are not NHL-ready" or "not ready to the rigours of the pro game."

What's the # of games before a player becomes waiver-eligible?

Thank you for the comment.

1. Hughes should play pro, at minimum in the AHL. Learn the system. Learn how to be a pro.

Already played against men. I really believe he’s such an elite skater that he might just be ready now.

2. Juolevi, nhl or ahl?

I think his play will determine that, however. The Canucks have so many d men that they might be backed into a corner if Hughes turns pro and Juolevi might have to start in the AHL.

Not a big deal. So much negativity on this guy, he had a great year. Almost won rookie of the year in a pro league against men.

Was solid in the world juniors. I’m excited about him.

I don’t think it’s sad that Hughes is our best d prospect and that he’s so small, I think he’s very elite and the Canucks have never had much luck until this point.

Reactions: jimslob

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Trading Edler should be pretty much be the number 1 priority this year. In fact, it should have been done one or two years ago. Don't wait until the last minute and wind up in another Hamhuis situation.

I have nothing against the player and last year was a pretty good bounce back year for him, but the fact is that at 32 years of age he will be too old by the time the young players come into their own.

Tanev is 4 years younger and is a much better option if you're going to keep a player to pair with the young guys.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I still stand by keeping Tanev to pair him with QH so that Hughes can play offensively minded and have Tanev keep the door shut in our end, and teach Hughes about the defensive side of the game. Ship everyone else if they have any value.

But the problem with that is Tanev plays against first lines. Do you really want Hughes playing against top lines?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Trading Edler should be pretty much be the number 1 priority this year. In fact, it should have been done one or two years ago. Don't wait until the last minute and wind up in another Hamhuis situation.

I have nothing against the player and last year was a pretty good bounce back year for him, but the fact is that at 32 years of age he will be too old by the time the young players come into their own.

Tanev is 4 years younger and is a much better option if you're going to keep a player to pair with the young guys.

He has a ntc. Edler doesn't want to go anywhere. He may change his mind.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

I really don't see management asking him to waive his NTC til the deadline........they just aren't really the type to ask a player to do that. And I am fine with that - without him our defence is an absolute tire fire.........especially with Tanev only in the lineup for 1/2 of the games.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Think Hughes can play NHL next year but an extra year in college will help him really hit his ceiling IMO. Right now he thinks he can play, after a year he'll know he can play. It's a long season, and you don't want him relegated to a 3rd pairing role and lose confidence halfway through the year. When he comes in I want him playing top pair every game for 82, 18+ minutes a game, be able to take over games on a consistent basis.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I'm hoping the competition is real and guys make the top six on merit. And if they don't trade Hutton, I believe he has the potential to come back from his odious performance last season.

The light at the end of the tunnel might not be the freight train from hell.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Quinn played against elite nhl players at the WHC and did very well why is it a problem now?

WhC 10 games around 12 minutes a night

RS 82 games 20 plus minutes.

Not the same. You don't think asking a rookie to play against top lines is a little too much?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
It's super frustrating how badly they're under-utilizing Biega. Ideally, he should be anchoring a sheltered 3rd pairing and teaching a young player the ropes.

He's the only guy other than Edler/Tanev who makes things easier for his partner rather than harder, and ideally, you want to be freeing up Edler/Tanev to play more difficult minutes.

I've kinda got my eye on this Jett Woo kid

He's big, he can skate, he can hit, he can fight, apparently, he's very good defensively, both in body positioning and with his stick,

His size and skating are up to NHL standards......I'm watching him CLOSELY
at pre-season

Sounds like he could be a stabilizing defensive presence as well as a bodyguard

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I know Hughes can play both sides but how well can he play the right side?

If he can, stick him and OJ down in the AHL and give them 1st pairing mins

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I've kinda got my eye on this Jett Woo kid

He's big, he can skate, he can hit, he can fight, apparently, he's very good defensively, both in body positioning and with his stick,

His size and skating are up to NHL standards......I'm watching him CLOSELY
at pre-season

Sounds like he could be a stabilizing defensive presence as well as a bodyguard

Agreed. I could easily see Woo becoming a fan favorite here in Van. Kid has all the tools and seems like a great leader too.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
WhC 10 games around 12 minutes a night

RS 82 games 20 plus minutes.

Not the same. You don't think asking a rookie to play against top lines is a little too much?

Let's stop making up stories about Huges WC run, I'm tired of seeing people list it as a positive

He wasn't that great,

He wasn't used much

The WC were a disappointment more than anything for people who want him in the NHL right away,

Because he should have done a lot better than he did, at least if he's going to be the kind of player people here want him to be

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed. I could easily see Woo becoming a fan favorite here in Van. Kid has all the tools and seems like a great leader too.

Oh, for sure!

The Ric Flair "Woooo!" for every time he does something is a given,

But he really does sound good,

Has anyone out there seem him play much?

Unfortunately, people putting together highlight reels for defensive defensemen seem to think footage of goals and assists are the way to show case him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad