Player Discussion Post draft defencemen thoughts

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about how the defence looks now that the draft is complete.

Personally, I have some concerns about the amount of NHL contract v.s getting youth into games.

As is stands, the Canucks have 6 d men signed to NHL contracts.

Tanev-Edler
Gudbranson-MDZ
Biega-Hutton

Pouliot and Stretcher are both RFA's.

Haven't heard anything about the Canucks walking away from either of them and would think it's very likely both are re-signed.

So that puts the Canucks at:

Tanev-Edler
Gudbranson-MDZ
Biega-Hutton
Pouliot-Stetcher

8 d men, nothing crazy right?

But here's my issue, last year Sautner came in and I thought he played great when he filled in for injuries.

Then add in the fact Juolevi had a great year playing against men in Finland. Would think at least 1 of the 2 would have a shot to start with the Canucks.

Let's say Juolevi makes the team, things looks like this:

Tanev-Edler
Gudbranson-MDZ
Biega-Hutton
Pouliot-Stetcher
Juolevi

I don't think I'm stretching things here. Canucks/Benning have also gone on record saying they love Brisebois.

Then, the real variable Quinton HUGHES.

Guy just finished the year playing against some of the best players in the world at the WC's.

He's not against turning pro. Could see him signing and starting with the Canucks.

Considering the Canucks produced no offence from the back end last year, I could get on board with a PP that has Hughes as the QB, EP and Boeser ripping it.

So, let's say for arguments sakes, Hughes makes the team:

Tanev-Edler
Gudbranson-MDZ
Biega-Hutton
Pouliot-Stetcher
Juolevi-Hughes

Now, let's talk this out. Biega could quite easily get waived and probably not picked up. That brings the Canucks down to 9.

I still think that when you combine the fact Hutton was a regular healthy scratch and that the Canucks host the draft and will want to stock up on picks, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shipped out for a 3rd.

But, do you trade him, or Tanev or any of these guys when their value is so low?

I would say no, sell high right? But what is really going to irk me is watching guys Juolevi or Hughes or Sautner or Brisebois sitting in favour of some of the older players.

Is this a rebuild? Well, if it is then someone explain how Edler (32 yr), Tanev (28 yr) and MDZ (27 yr) should be playing over the youth?

I think the draft was awesome in the sense they solidified an area of weakness. I also think that fans (more than ever) are totally on board with a full rebuild even if it means losing. I think fans, especially me want to see Juolevi and Hughes.

I think fans are okay with Tanev getting traded, Hutton getting traded.

Hell, I don't care how much the Canucks lose if I get to watch an exciting young team.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I believe Hughes Gudbranson pairing could be really good. Hughes is essentially a younger and imo a more talented Brian Campbell. Campbell was Gudbranson's main D partner before being traded to Vancouver. He excelled with a quick skating transitional D. They tried Ben Hutton as an option but that blew up in their face. Hughes could be the perfect fit to re-activate that!

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I would not move Tanev and Edler at all.

Tanev and Edler will still be our top pairing for at least another 2-3 years. They will also help both Hughes and Juolevi transition into the NHL.

I'm quite happy with our defense moving forward assuming Juolevi and Hughes become top 4 Dmen.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Next year is another tank year atleast. No need to change what works to do that I guess. Like you said we have 8 D for next year already once Stecher and Pouliot re sign. The only problem which would be a good one to have is OJ being good enough to make the final roster. That would make a Hutton/Stecher trade likely happen or Biega getting waived

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hughes - Gudbranson would be a disaster, just like Hutton - Gudbranson was, IMO.

One thing that gets criminally overlooked very often is that despite being an offensive defenseman, Campbell actually did a lot of the heavy lifting and sheltering defensively in Florida, not so much the other way around. Gudbranson did well to play a physical game there and limit time and space, but he was never some positionally sound stay at home defenseman who covered well for Campbell, contrary to popular belief.

If/when Juolevi establishes himself as a solid defensive presence who excels at moving the puck out of his own end (the way that Tanev does), that might be a great fit for Gudbranson, but putting every defensively suspect one-way offensive-minded puck-mover with Gudbranson thinking that he'll cover for their defensive shortcomings is absolute suicide, IMO.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I believe Hughes Gudbranson pairing could be really good. Hughes is essentially a younger and imo a more talented Brian Campbell. Campbell was Gudbranson's main D partner before being traded to Vancouver. He excelled with a quick skating transitional D. They tried Ben Hutton as an option but that blew up in their face. Hughes could be the perfect fit to re-activate that!

We cannot expect QH to be able to play his game and cover for Gudbransons defensive gaffes as a teenager.

Pair him with Tanev to give him as little to worry about as possible.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I would think we need some veterans on our team to help guide the youth. A team of early 20 somethings doesn't make a ton of sense. I don't think just throwing them out there to the wolves is the best scenario. MDZ is definitely getting jettisoned this year at the deadline for picks (if we have to ship him out before that do so) so there is space there.

I was previously an advocate of trading Tanev now however considering his very diminished value it makes more sense to keep him around in a mentorship role to play with Hughes or one of the other youngsters. Not at all sold on throwing Hughes to the wolves to play with Guddy although at least it would be nice to have someone to hopefully lay the law down should anyone get frisky with him (ideally Gudbranson isn't on our team however if he has to play I dunno if I would feel good subjecting a rookie to that sort of punishment).

Overall I think we need to keep Edler and Tanev for now til these guys get a bit more seasoned. If Tanev can somewhat hold it together this season the following seasons trade deadline (once again assuming he's not injured) would be a really good time to trade him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well I would trade RealGud and MDZ for bags of pucks, and that would clear the logjam, but obviously they're not going anywhere.

OJ is going to need to start in Utica. Even if Hughes turns pro, I would prefer he get some time in Utica too before pushing for a spot mid-late season. Keep the young guys out of the tire fire that is to come.

Tanev should be moved for assets, but likely won't, so I'll project him as staying around.

Here's our optimal lineup:
Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Tanev
Pouliot - Biega
MDZ/RealGud

Here's something closer to what will hit the ice (which is better for tanking anyway):
MDZ - Tanev
Edler - RealGud
Pouliot - Stecher
Hutton/Biega

Jack Hughes, we're coming buddy.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Hughes - Gudbranson would be a disaster, just like Hutton - Gudbranson was, IMO.

One thing that gets criminally overlooked very often is that despite being an offensive defenseman, Campbell actually did a lot of the heavy lifting and sheltering defensively in Florida, not so much the other way around. Gudbranson did well to play a physical game there and limit time and space, but he was never some positionally sound stay at home defenseman who covered well for Campbell, contrary to popular belief.

If/when Juolevi establishes himself as a solid defensive presence who excels at moving the puck out of his own end (the way that Tanev does), that might be a great fit for Gudbranson, but putting every defensively suspect one-way offensive-minded puck-mover with Gudbranson thinking that he'll cover for their defensive shortcomings is absolute suicide, IMO.
It's not suicide, it's murder (with the victim being Gubranson's partner of course).

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Juolevi wont make the team. Hughes will. Book it
The silver lining of his injury is that it's another built in excuse. When he doesn't make the team and has a lackluster d3 people can say - it was the injury slowing down his summer training (which was never successful/existent before). "Once he has a full summer of training he will be a lock to make the team, I'm not giving up on him yet."

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I still think that when you combine the fact Hutton was a regular healthy scratch and that the Canucks host the draft and will want to stock up on picks, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shipped out for a 3rd.
You don't think they tried to get a pick for him at this draft? They better have...

You're dreaming if you think he's worth a 3rd. I bet they shopped him, and the best offers were 6th or 7th rounders.
Just get him off the team so he can stop taking up a roster spot

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I read on here that Hughes is comfortable playing the right side. If he turns pro, let him and OJ open the season in Utica. Keep Edler + Tanev for this season, trade off whichever other dmen return anything of value.

After Christmas or so, run a top 4 of:

Edler-Hughes
Juolevi-Tanev

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
Trade 2 of Hutton/Del Zotto/Gudbranson/Stetcher(maybe) for picks and go for a bit of a youth movement. Not saying we have to use Hughes and Juolevi, but give Sauntner and Briesboi a chunk of games.

Reactions: timw33

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Interesting to see what they do with Stetcher. Canucks pretty much just drafted his eventual replacement but there's no guarantee as to when he'll be ready to slot in.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Even though I think some prospects are good enough to make the big club(aint no challenge really lol)
A year with most of our best prospects cooking together in the AHL sounds just as good to me. We get another high 1st round pick, they get to know and work each other some more. No biggie.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
I still stand by keeping Tanev to pair him with QH so that Hughes can play offensively minded and have Tanev keep the door shut in our end, and teach Hughes about the defensive side of the game. Ship everyone else if they have any value.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I read on here that Hughes is comfortable playing the right side. If he turns pro, let him and OJ open the season in Utica. Keep Edler + Tanev for this season, trade off whichever other dmen return anything of value.

After Christmas or so, run a top 4 of:

Edler-Hughes
Juolevi-Tanev
This is the optimum top 4..How long it takes them to get there is in the lap of the gods.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting to see what they do with Stetcher. Canucks pretty much just drafted his eventual replacement but there's no guarantee as to when he'll be ready to slot in.
Has Quinn Hughes made Troy Stecher redundant?.....I think so..wont happen immediately,but the writings already on the wall.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not an issue. Look at the names on the list.

Easily scrap Hutton/Stetcher/Mdz/ Biega
Those guys wouldn’t crack a good teams D.

Then you have Tanev who will be injured for most the year.

You’re banking on Juolevi / Hughes to make the team with a combined 0 NHL games played.

We have 0 problems on defensman. We have a lot of them, none great and certainly none irreplaceable.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Has Quinn Hughes made Troy Stecher redundant?.....I think so..wont happen immediately,but the writings already on the wall.

We'll have to follow the Krug/McAvoy closely this upcoming season.

PMD; such an important tool in the NHL... you give up a bit on size having two smallish D-men but maybe that will be an advantage in the NHL moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad