Blue Jays Discussion: post-deadline, back-at-home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Hitting below 200 in high A

FWIW, Marco Luciano is also struggling. Same age as Orelvis and promoted to high A around the same time. He has better slash lines but he also has an absurdly high BABIP and K%. Yet he's seen as a consensus top 5 prospect in baseball.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We're at 1k posts so I'll put up a new thread later (maybe during the game when there's less eyes on here) but in the mean time Jim Bowden (I know, lol) did a top 50 prospects list on The Athletic:

Top 50 MLB prospects: Jim Bowden ranks the game’s best in tiers, from future MVPs to everyday guys (PAYWALL)

Of note for the Jays are:

26. Gabriel Moreno, C, Toronto Blue Jays

Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 5-11 Weight: 160
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 50 RUN: 35 ARM: 55 FLD: 50
The Blue Jays’ scouting department does a remarkable job of drafting and signing catchers, and Moreno is just another example. He’s quickly become one of the game’s best catching prospects thanks to a special hit tool, which has him batting .373 at Double-A New Hampshire with a .441 on-base percentage. Moreno is an average defender with a plus arm. He has average game power, but shows in batting practice that he should end up with 15-18 home run power in time.

32. Austin Martin, CF, Minnesota Twins

Height: 6-0 Weight: 185
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 50 RUN: 55 ARM: 45 FLD: 50
Martin, the headliner for the Twins in the deadline trade that sent José Berríos to the Blue Jays, is a versatile player who can play all over the diamond, but second base and center field are his most probable final landing spots. He has produced a .429 on-base percentage in his first 336 minor-league plate appearances, despite having some mechanical issues earlier this season. Martin profiles as a future table setter with average major-league power. He is a high baseball IQ type who might not have impact tools but will make up for it with his intangibles. He’s a winner.

50. Jordan Groshans, SS/3B, Toronto Blue Jays

Height: 6-3 Weight: 205
Scouting Grades: HIT: 55 PWR: 55 RUN: 50 ARM: 60 FLD: 50
I thought the Blue Jays might deal Groshans in the Berríos trade but was glad they didn’t because I believe he’s going to be an above-average hitter with above-average power and more than adequate at third base with a strong throwing arm. His electric bat speed and loud sweet-spot contact really stand out. Groshans, who’s slashed .287/.366/.448 this season at Double A, is another reason the Blue Jays’ future is so bright.

Moreno and Martin are in the "potential future all-stars" tier while Groshans is in the "potential future everyday players" tier.

A little surprised there's no Orelvis love, but I suppose he needs some time to establish himself.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
"Martin profiles as a future table setter with average major-league power. "

Only problems with his Austin scouting report are:

- he has extremely poor minor league power so far
- he can't play CF
- he's a "table setter" that doesn't hit for average

Reactions: stickty111

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If Toronto doesn't make the playoffs are pick is currently at 17 and can realistically go up as high as 13. Additionally, some interesting performances in the lower minors:

FCL

Position:

Amell Brazoban, 6'2, CF, 19
.325/.427/.575 2hr 17rbi 8(2b) 3(3b) 8sb 2cs 14bb 22so
-Second or Third best/most well-known prospect the Jays signed from Orelvis year, next to D'Orazio.
-Projects as a power-hitting outfielder with solid tools.

Gabriel Martinez, 6'0", OF, 18
.329/.428/.400 0hr 12rbi 6(2b) 16bb 14so 6sb 2cs
Signed at 6-foot-2, 170 pounds, Martinez has added strength since then, drawing the Blue Jays’ attention for his righthanded swing and athleticism. He loads up with a leg kick and has a moving parts swing that relies on being on time with his sequencing with an all-fields approach. He’s a 50-55 runner who shows solid defensive instincts in center field, though given his physical projection, he probably ends up in a corner.

Victor Mesia, 5'9, C, 18
.283/.375/.415 1hr 10rbi 4(2b) 6bb 10so
-Ranked 43rd by BA
-Signed for 300k
He’s 5-foot-10, 175 pounds with power and explosiveness to his actions. He has a compact swing, fast bat speed, a knack for the barrel and makes hard contact with an all-fields approach. He shows flashes of above-average raw power right now, giving him a chance to hit and hit for power at a high clip for a catcher. Mesia has strong legs, is athletic for a catcher and projects to stay behind the plate, with a strong arm that flashes plus now and projects to be there consistently soon.

Pitchers:

Yaifer Perdomo, 5'10", LHP, 19
2.45era 33ip 19h 14bb 59so

Dahian Santos, 5'10", RHP, 18
28.2ip 20h 9bb 43so
-Fastball up to 94 with good movement.
-Throws strikes with athletic delivery.
-Three-pitch mix including potential plus changeup.
Ben Badler: I'll give you another way under-the-radar name I like: Dahian Santos. Young Venezuelan RHP, arrow-up guy.
Kendry Rojas, 6'2", LHP, 18
3.07era 19ip 13h 8bb 21so
-Signed for 200k
-Converted outfielder from Cuba
-Bloodlines and athletic frame
-Fastball up to 92mph

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Brad Hand placed on the bereavement list.

I can only assume it's to mourn the death of his competency as an MLB reliever. :sarcasm:

(for serious, it's because his grandfather passed away and that's terrible. I don't mean to make light of the actual tragedy, just that Hand has not been good at baseball for the last little while)

Reactions: dredeye

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"Martin profiles as a future table setter with average major-league power. "

Only problems with his Austin scouting report are:

- he has extremely poor minor league power so far
- he can't play CF
- he's a "table setter" that doesn't hit for average

counterpoint: It's Jim Bowden.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
There must be something about outfielders the Jays see that I don't because I thought between Dickerson, Palacios, and the host of utility fielders they've got you'd think they have more than enough blah to decent outfielders.

Position:

Amell Brazoban, 6'2, CF, 19

Gabriel Martinez, 6'0", OF, 18

Victor Mesia, 5'9, C, 18

Yaifer Perdomo, 5'10", LHP, 19

Dahian Santos, 5'10", RHP, 18

Kendry Rojas, 6'2", LHP, 18

The Jays certainly have quite a few players with names that are fun to say, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad