Rumor: Possible trades with #3 OA

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Being rational, the Philly deal is exceptional. Couturier would be Tippett's new favorite player and would provide a Hanzal exit plan. The Edmonton deal is the best raw value.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I know rt will disagree but I want a small + with Reinhart. This is a franchise defining trade.

So does Maloney, if in fact the Sabres have offered Reinhart for 3. What do we have to offer to get 21 from Buffalo?

To AZ - Reinhart, 21
To BUF - 3, 30, + something

Maybe add Gormley and Grigorenko to each side as well.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Let's say the Blue Jackets want Hanifin and the Coyotes want him too but also covet Provorov. Maybe they draft Hanifin with a handshake deal in place that if their guy (Provorov) is available at 8, they will trade Hanifin to Columbus for Wennberg and #8 overall? Of course the problem is I'm not sure it's likely for Provorov to be available at #8.

Has this ever happened before? Seems kind of weird to go up on stage, draft the kid, make him feel great, and then trade him 30 mins later. Does he even get to keep his Coyotes jersey?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Reinhart would be at the top of my list.

Duchene is second, especially if we can get Colorado to add their pick with some other piece returning to Colorado from us.

Drouin is interesting but I’m concerned about how his NHL career has progressed this far. It looks like he was rushed into the NHL.

Draisatil is great but I’m not really interested in helping the Oilers. They’ve already got McDavid and a competent GM now. I don’t want to help shore up their D (if they take Hanifin) despite the possibility of acquiring Draisatil. Soon enough the Oilers are going to be good so I’d prefer not to make it even more difficult to get 5 wins from them every year.

Couture is too old (according to Maloney’s 26/27 cutoff) and besides that I don’t think he’s available. The Sharks need him to replace their own aging centers: Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski.

I like Galchenyuk but I’m concerned by his recent news. I’d prefer Strome to Galchenyuk in any event.

Not interested in any of the other packages. They’re nice pieces, but just that – pieces. I’d rather a potential star than a bunch of nice to haves. Not really interested in trading down either.

In short, I like Reinhart and Duchene. Otherwise, Strome at 3.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm kinda with Mosby on helping Edmonton. I'd make the deal contingent on them taking Marner or Strome so they can continue their quest to ice 12 top 6 forwards in an effort to recapture the 80's Oilers glory years. We don't need them landing Hanifin, that could be disastrous for the entire Western Conference much less the Coyotes.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think Couturier + 7 is easily the best option of those presented, especially when you compare it to Reinhart straight up.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd do Reinhart straight up.

I'd add the 32nd to get Draisaitl and the 16th.

In terms of "in the league" guys, I really think Drouin could be the guy. Maloney and Yzerman talk all of the time. The Lightning might really, really like Hanifin. I don't see Drouin as a center, long-term and he's another LHS. Not sure I trade the #3 for another sub six foot left shooting winger to go with Boedker, Rieder, Domi, and Duclair.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I didn't realize drouin was a center, I would've voted him too. I'd probably still prefer strome over most of them but eh.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Couturier + 7 is easily the best option of those presented, especially when you compare it to Reinhart straight up.

It definitely gives pause. I'm not sure Philly would go there, though. One of Hanifin or Provorov will probably be there. If not, there's Werenski.

rt

May 13, 2004
Wasn't there speculation that TB offered Drouin for Ekblad at last year's draft?

The apparent buyer's remorse freaks me out. They could've had Seth Jones and chose Drouin. So why now flip him for Ekblad or Hanifin? Makes me nervous that there could be something not related to hockey.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It definitely gives pause. I'm not sure Philly would go there, though. One of Hanifin or Provorov will probably be there. If not, there's Werenski.
I don't know, DM has been talking a lot about high skill, fast skating, etc. and I don't think Couturier fits that mold. IMO he's a Hanzal clone and while I love Hanzal, I don't want them giving up the #3 overall pick for that type of player.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The apparent buyer's remorse freaks me out. They could've had Seth Jones and chose Drouin. So why now flip him for Ekblad or Hanifin? Makes me nervous that there could be something not related to hockey.
Exactly. Why have they soured on him so much this early in his career?!

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't know, DM has been talking a lot about high skill, fast skating, etc. and I don't think Couturier fits that mold. IMO he's a Hanzal clone and while I love Hanzal, I don't want them giving up the #3 overall pick for that type of player.

I agree but the Yotes are supposed to be really high on Provorov. It's not out of the question that he's there at seven. Maybe they have Strome 3rd, Provorov 4th, Hanifin 5th and Marner 6th. Good shot you get Couturier and your #4 rather than just your #3.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Couturier is the best 2C on the table (theoretically) so far, UFA or trade. I doubt it ever gets offered, but if it did, Maloney would be foolish to pass it up. Still only 22 and drawing the toughest matchups plus being misused offensively. What's better than Hanzal? Two Hanzals. For a handful of spots? slam effin dunk.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Couturier is the best 2C on the table (theoretically) so far, UFA or trade. I doubt it ever gets offered, but if it did, Maloney would be foolish to pass it up. Still only 22 and drawing the toughest matchups plus being misused offensively. What's better than Hanzal? Two Hanzals. For a handful of spots? slam effin dunk.
I'd love two Hanzals but not at the expense of the #3 overall pick. The only way this makes sense IMO is if the Coyotes view Hanifin and Provorov as 1A and 1B and they already know they're not taking Strome or Marner. If that's the case then yeah it makes sense to add Couturier and then just pick up Provorov (gambling that he'll be there). If they're throwing in the towel on a chance at a 1C, this is probably the best way to do it.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just got a terribly sick feeling. Former Kitchener Ranger and Coyotes darling of his draft year Jeff Skinner is on the table. He fits Maloney's age requirement. Oh. My. God. I could TOTALLY see Maloney doing something stupid, here. Holy ****. What if we trade #3 for Skinner and minor pieces? Ugh. I could see tossing Gormely in just because the Coyotes inexplicably hate him for no reason. Skinner and a 2nd for #3 and Gormley. Watch this **** happen.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's a winger ("deal HAS to have a center") and Maloney said if he trades down it's past 5. That's outside of Carolina. We're good.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I just got a terribly sick feeling. Former Kitchener Ranger and Coyotes darling of his draft year Jeff Skinner is on the table. He fits Maloney's age requirement. Oh. My. God. I could TOTALLY see Maloney doing something stupid, here. Holy ****. What if we trade #3 for Skinner and minor pieces? Ugh. I could see tossing Gormely in just because the Coyotes inexplicably hate him for no reason. Skinner and a 2nd for #3 and Gormley. Watch this **** happen.

On the more bullish side, 3rd OA for Skinner + the 5th OA. Or Lindholm with a minor + for the 3rd OA.

rt

May 13, 2004
Phew. Good point. I remember now. He did say that TOR and CAR are not interested in swapping and he's only going to trade for a center of he trades outright.

Which begs the question; why draft Hanifin or Marner or Provorov? If he'll only trade outright for a center then doesn't that mean he will draft one? He's essentially trading the #3 for Strome who's a center. He's the only one there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Stop scaring me.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Phew. Good point. I remember now. He did say that TOR and CAR are not interested in swapping and he's only going to trade for a center of he trades outright.

Which begs the question; why draft Hanifin or Marner or Provorov? If he'll only trade outright for a center then doesn't that mean he will draft one? He's essentially trading the #3 for Strome who's a center. He's the only one there.

It means that Stome's our guy I guess. Any 1v1 player we get back has to be a player worthy of a top 5 prospect in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad