Rumor: Possible trades with #3 OA

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
There are some rumors of us moving #3 for a package that includes a top young C, or to gain additional assets while trading down. Here are some of the deals that are possibilities. Which one(s) would you be OK with if it goes down at the draft.

VOTE FOR ALL CHOICES that you deem acceptable

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There are some rumors of us moving #3 for a package that includes a top young C, or to gain additional assets while trading down. Here are some of the deals that are possibilities. Which one(s) would you be OK with if it goes down at the draft.

CBJ rumours continue to be hot and heavy. Weinberg plays C and holds more interest than Rychel (who has size that we are going to require) and Milano who both unfortunately play a position where we have very good depth. That being said Wennberg had 4 goals and 20 points. This is where scouts make their $.

Avalanche and Duchene fits a need. It comes down to salary and years of asset ownership (4 vs 7).

Drouin and Tampa is interesting. Arguably one of the best young players in the game. C prospect. Question is why have Bolts soured on him so soon? He's the best asset possibly in play. One that is almost impossible to turn down.

Tough poll.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
CBJ rumours continue to be hot and heavy. Weinberg plays C and holds more interest than Rychel (who has size that we are going to require) and Milano who both unfortunately play a position where we have very good depth. That being said Wennberg had 4 goals and 20 points. This is where scouts make their $.

Avalanche and Duchene fits a need. It comes down to salary and years of asset ownership (4 vs 7).

Drouin and Tampa is interesting. Arguably one of the best young players in the game. C prospect. Question is why have Bolts soured on him so soon? He's the best asset possibly in play. One that is almost impossible to turn down.

Tough poll.

Yeah; I'm sure Maloney has some good offers and tough choices too (both on whether to do it, or which deal would be optimal).

This poll though, is to vote for ALL trades that you would accept. The poll takes multiple yes answers.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah; I'm sure Maloney has some good offers and tough choices too (both on whether to do it, or which deal would be optimal).

This poll though, is to vote for ALL trades that you would accept. The poll takes multiple yes answers.

Crap. Well I would have accepted Wennberg + 8 OV as well

Tempted on Duchene as well.

I know rt will disagree but I want a small + with Reinhart.

This is a franchise defining trade.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I only really like 1 & 2.

The Columbus deals are the next most interesting but I'd just take the pick.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Tough poll.
I'm a little nervous about Drouin, I know he's young but he struggled to do much this season despite being surround by amazing talent. That said when he got playing time in the cup finals he did look pretty good! Isn't he a LW though?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Let's say the Blue Jackets want Hanifin and the Coyotes want him too but also covet Provorov. Maybe they draft Hanifin with a handshake deal in place that if their guy (Provorov) is available at 8, they will trade Hanifin to Columbus for Wennberg and #8 overall? Of course the problem is I'm not sure it's likely for Provorov to be available at #8.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a little nervous about Drouin, I know he's young but he struggled to do much this season despite being surround by amazing talent. That said when he got playing time in the cup finals he did look pretty good! Isn't he a LW though?

Drouin produced at 0.46 PPG playing 3rd line minutes on 5v5 in his rookie season. That really isn't too shabby.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Drouin produced at 0.46 PPG playing 3rd line minutes on 5v5 in his rookie season. That really isn't too shabby.

Yeah, Drouin is probably the most offensively gifted of the bunch.

He is the one prospect that could likely outscore Strome/Marner in the future.

The big concern, of course, is how likely he could adjust to playing C (which he has done before, but not in Tampa for whatever reason).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, Drouin is probably the most offensively gifted of the bunch.

He is the one prospect that could likely outscore Strome/Marner in the future.

The big concern, of course, is how likely he could adjust to playing C (which he has done before, but not in Tampa for whatever reason).

Most c prospects start on wing be they get destroyed on faceoffs and struggle with the d responsibilities of the position early on.

Issue with Drouin is work ethic. Everything has just come so easily up to now.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah but he was given multiple chances with players like Stamkos, Callahan, Palat and Johnson but didn't do much with it. The Lightning coaching staff definitely seemed to sour on him but perhaps they expected too much. He was after all most peoples pick to win the Calder so expectations were pretty high. I wouldn't be upset if the Coyotes landed him, I just can't help but wonder why the Lightning would be so open to giving up on him this early? Granted the #3 overall pick isn't exactly chopped liver (did I just answer my own question?)!

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Most c prospects start on wing be they get destroyed on faceoffs and struggle with the d responsibilities of the position early on.

Right;

There are several potential targets in similar situations:

Drouin, Milano, Galchenyuk, Nelson.

That's just an extra layer of risk you would have to factor into your decision.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Yeah but he was given multiple chances with players like Stamkos, Callahan, Palat and Johnson but didn't do much with it. The Lightning coaching staff definitely seemed to sour on him but perhaps they expected too much. He was after all most peoples pick to win the Calder so expectations were pretty high. I wouldn't be upset if the Coyotes landed him, I just can't help but wonder why the Lightning would be so open to giving up on him this early? Granted the #3 overall pick isn't exactly chopped liver (did I just answer my own question?)!

I heard that they expected him to be the heir apparent to St. Louis.

That's probably a bit too much pressure on a 19 year old. So it's understandable that he cracks under this type of pressure. Still good to see that he still put up solid numbers the 1st year, and was in contention for the Calder for a good part of the year.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
and was in contention for the Calder for a good part of the year.
He was a favorite before the season but fell out of the race pretty quickly, I don't think you could really say he was in contention a good part of the year, probably not even half the year. Here's an article in mid December and Drouin wasn't even in the top 10 at that point:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/top-10-calder-trophy-candidates-can-anyone-catch-filip-forsberg/

To be clear, not against Drouin in a Coyotes uniform if they really think he can effectively play center in this league.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
I take this to mean you'd prefer they not trade the pick at all?

I would prefer that. You don't get the opportunity to pick a potential franchise player that often. Don't overthink it, pick the player you like most on the board and go home. That is of course as always unless you get an offer that blows you away, none of these really does that for me.

I guess Reinhart is the one you'd have to think about. I don't watch the Canadian junior hockey leagues at all personally so I feel kind of silly making a close call like that myself to be honest. At least that's blue chip for blue chip, I'll say no to pretty much everything that involves piecing together things of lesser value. If the ones of you who actually watch these guys play say Reinhart is a better player than Hanifin, Strome and Marner then I'll bow to your superior knowledge in the matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad