Michael Russo: Possible Stadium Series Game next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

That actually makes a lot of sense. Further down he mentions that the high school and college schedules are already set in stone, and that the Twins are worried about having a rink on the field in February (too close to baseball season). At this point we've been waiting long enough that I think I'd rather they push it back and get it right.

Also, it sounds like the Wild are absolutely hell-bent on expanding the scope of the event so much that it overshadows the Winter Classic even if they don't end up getting a WC proper. :laugh:

I will say, though, I'm a bit disappointed that they apparently already have the 2016 WC venue decided. I feel like Minnesota is the obvious choice for a medium-sized and/or Western market, so if it's not here then we're almost certainly getting another Eastern Conference retread in 2016. (That's especially apparent when you realize that they can't very well use Chicago as the opponent again in 2016, so somewhere else in the Central like STL is probably out.) And then Toronto is basically a lock for 2017, so...

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Further down he mentions that the high school and college schedules are already set in stone, and that the Twins are worried about having a rink on the field in February (too close to baseball season). At this point we've been waiting long enough that I think I'd rather they push it back and get it right.

Also, it sounds like the Wild are absolutely hell-bent on expanding the scope of the event so much that it overshadows the Winter Classic even if they don't end up getting a WC proper. :laugh:

I will say, though, I'm a bit disappointed that they apparently already have the 2016 WC venue decided. I feel like Minnesota is the obvious choice for a medium-sized and/or Western market, so if it's not here then we're almost certainly getting another Eastern Conference retread in 2016. (That's especially apparent when you realize that they can't very well use Chicago as the opponent again in 2016, so somewhere else in the Central like STL is probably out.) And then Toronto is basically a lock for 2017, so...

What might happen is we end up a visitor in one first before we host one. I could see Chicago hosting one and having us as an opponent. Chicago-Minnesota is a pretty common game on NBCSN, so I don't think NBC would be completely opposed to the pairing.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
The Jets are hosting a Heritage Classic in 2016 and Minnesota is a popular choice as an opponent among our fans, but maybe not enough of a draw to satisfy the media sponsors (I don't know). I think it would be a pretty good idea from a fan's point of view, though.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The Jets are hosting a Heritage Classic in 2016 and Minnesota is a popular choice as an opponent among our fans, but maybe not enough of a draw to satisfy the media sponsors (I don't know). I think it would be a pretty good idea from a fan's point of view, though.

I'd show up for that one for sure. That would be awesome!

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
And the Sky high ticket prices

I'd hope we'd get some discount....I think the hardest thing for most would be dividing them up via season ticket drafts (unless they give you the option to buy more which would be awesome).

Didn't the league want to push Dallas as our outdoor game opponent and we wanted Chicago instead?

Yes. This is why I wanted to boo Bettman in person when he was outside the X during the Wild playoff party.

THAT would be immense. I'd drive up in a heartbeat for that one.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I'm hoping they go above and beyond with it. Not to mention it would be nice to have a year in between all the big events IMO. MLB ASG is this year. year off. NHL outdoor game. year off. Super Bowl.

Hate everything about this being at Target field over the bank.

so dumb!

TCF is not the best venue to have something that you are expecting an influx of people by close to 20% of the population of Minneapolis to come to. Would the sight lines be better? Not going to dispute it because you're right...but in the same sense it isn't a great business move to put it there.

Why?

Target Field is an infinitely better venue. The Bank was just built and it's an incredibly mediocre (putting it nicely) stadium.

Have to agree. Been to a ton of NCAA stadiums and it isn't exactly the best to do this game at. Not to mention they'll have the Vikings in it next year too.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The opponent for the Stadium Series game should be Chicago or St. Louis, both old rivalries that date back to the Norris days.

I'd like to see the Wild host a Winter Classic against Winnipeg as well. The Jets can wear throwbacks since they own the rights to the old logos. All they need to do now is to acquire the history of the old Jets from the Coyotes who have no business owning it (well that's another topic so I'll stop there).

The reason why I want a Jets-Wild Winter Classic is for the WC to show off some of the new division rivalries that were created in 2013. Back in the first four-division era era we never got to see a North Stars-Jets rivalry because they were in separate divisions much of that time. So, Jets-Wild is a perfect match-up for a WC.

As for the Stadium Series, again it should be Chicago or Sr. Louis. Games against those teams tend to sell out quick due to the history behind these match-ups.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The opponent for the Stadium Series game should be Chicago or St. Louis, both old rivalries that date back to the Norris days.

I'd like to see the Wild host a Winter Classic against Winnipeg as well. The Jets can wear throwbacks since they own the rights to the old logos. All they need to do now is to acquire the history of the old Jets from the Coyotes who have no business owning it (well that's another topic so I'll stop there).

The reason why I want a Jets-Wild Winter Classic is for the WC to show off some of the new division rivalries that were created in 2013. Back in the first four-division era era we never got to see a North Stars-Jets rivalry because they were in separate divisions much of that time. So, Jets-Wild is a perfect match-up for a WC.

As for the Stadium Series, again it should be Chicago or Sr. Louis. Games against those teams tend to sell out quick due to the history behind these match-ups.

Winnipeg is an absolute non-starter for Winter Classic contention, unfortunately. There just isn't enough interest in the US between us and the Jets for NBC to even remotely entertain that.

Now, if the Jets fans get their wish and they host a Heritage classic with us as the opponents, that's gonna do exactly the same thing as you said, but with a good amount of fan fare on the Canadian side of the border and here in Minnesota. It would also be the first time a non-Canadian team would be featured in the event, but Minnesota is about as close to Canadian hockey fanaticism as you can get in the States, so something tells me they (the other Canadian teams) won't mind that much.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
**** the NHL, I want no part of this stadium series bull****. Give me a Winter Classic or nothing you NBC thugs. Very upset about the stiff arm we continue to get from the league and network.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
**** the NHL, I want no part of this stadium series bull****. Give me a Winter Classic or nothing you NBC thugs. Very upset about the stiff arm we continue to get from the league and network.

I'm getting real sick of NBC as well, and not just because of the outdoor game. I believe they have a lot more say in what happens in the NHL than anyone is telling the fans. I'll just leave it at that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm getting real sick of NBC as well, and not just because of the outdoor game. I believe they have a lot more say in what happens in the NHL than anyone is telling the fans. I'll just leave it at that.

It's cause of all the money they paid the league for the TV rights. That's why the schedule was ******** during the playoffs. Was were there, like 2 7pm central time starts for central time teams before the WCF?

I wonder what kind of control Rogers is going to get since they paid the NHL a buttload of money for the Canadian TV rights.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
It's cause of all the money they paid the league for the TV rights. That's why the schedule was ******** during the playoffs. Was were there, like 2 7pm central time starts for central time teams before the WCF?

I wonder what kind of control Rogers is going to get since they paid the NHL a buttload of money for the Canadian TV rights.

The Rodgers deal is interesting because they paid more than NBC did for rights to broadcast games.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'd rather they did it on Hockey Day in Minnesota and have the UofMN play UND or St. Cloud at TCF and have 2 or 3 high school games playing outdoors.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
At this point, I could care less about an outdoor game anymore. I'll enjoy watching other teams play under terrible conditions.

Pretty much. I don't understand the appeal of them. The conditions usually suck. The game is usually not very good so honestly who cares? What it gets back to the game's roots? So? The whole idea of the outdoor game is overblown.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Well lets hope Winnipeg fans get their way and we're their Heritage Classic opponent.

I've given up on Stadium Series/Winter Classic.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
and the Winter Classic was only really marketed towards US teams but the Leafs got in right? I mean, never stated specifically, but that's what everyone thought.

Any "outdoor" game is good in terms of getting the team's name out there, whilst they have finally come out of the cocoon of "expansion team" more exposure is never a bad thing.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
and the Winter Classic was only really marketed towards US teams but the Leafs got in right? I mean, never stated specifically, but that's what everyone thought.

Any "outdoor" game is good in terms of getting the team's name out there, whilst they have finally come out of the cocoon of "expansion team" more exposure is never a bad thing.

Winter Classic was never just marketed to US teams. But okay. I would say it has been that in the last couple years, especially with the new foray into 'Stadium Series'. Not so much with Buffalo initially being involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad