Michael Russo: Possible Stadium Series Game next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

I'll happily wait another couple years for us to host a WC, not some Stadium Series game.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Fun fact, the California Golden Seals eventually moved to Cleveland to become the Cleveland Barons, who shortly thereafter folded into...you guessed it, the Minnesota North Stars.

Was actually gonna post this.

In addition, after that the North Stars were partially forked, giving a good portion of their roster to a new expansion team and then participating in that same expansion draft.

That team? The San Jose Sharks.

So, if you look at it like that, the Sharks are part Golden Seal, part Baron, and part North Stars.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I could care less about an outdoor game as a Season ticket holder I dont want to be miles away from the ice sitting in 10 degree weather with a Wind blowing in my face for 2.5 hours I know I am in the minority but I am not disappointed we arent getting an outdoor game.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Was actually gonna post this.

In addition, after that the North Stars were partially forked, giving a good portion of their roster to a new expansion team and then participating in that same expansion draft.

That team? The San Jose Sharks.

So, if you look at it like that, the Sharks are part Golden Seal, part Baron, and part North Stars.

I know Maloche played for the Seals. Did he follow the team from California to Cleveland to Minnesota?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I could care less about an outdoor game as a Season ticket holder I dont want to be miles away from the ice sitting in 10 degree weather with a Wind blowing in my face for 2.5 hours I know I am in the minority but I am not disappointed we arent getting an outdoor game.

We might be in the minority, but we're not alone. My main complaint is the quality of the game is sub par and the horrible viewing angles in person and on tv.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
We might be in the minority, but we're not alone. My main complaint is the quality of the game is sub par and the horrible viewing angles in person and on tv.

And the Sky high ticket prices

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Sounds like Chicago will be a part of the next winter classic game again against Washington. Outdoor games are already getting old but it is worse when its the same teams

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Sounds like Chicago will be a part of the next winter classic game again against Washington. Outdoor games are already getting old but it is worse when its the same teams

Yep. NBC is ruining in one year at a time. The ratings have fallen every year too.

Would have been better if they made the ASG the WC instead of an actual game. Least then 2 points wouldn't be on the line. And probably would have helped their ratings too.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't care about the NHL. Minnesota should host an outdoor game every year. They can put it on national TV or not.
I think a yearly Minnesota versus Winnipeg outdoor game would be really awesome.

Just alternate between the two towns. No need for national broadcast. Just something for the locals.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I think a yearly Minnesota versus Winnipeg outdoor game would be really awesome.

Just alternate between the two towns. No need for national broadcast. Just something for the locals.

Teams cant just have an outdoor game it needs to be approved by the league

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm going to challenge Jets fans on their boards to a cross-border challenge. Maybe if enough people write to their teams, something can get started.

With the recent good bad-blood with the Hawks and Avs, I want more good rivalries. Minnesota-Winnipeg could be a great rivalry in the making.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I'm going to challenge Jets fans on their boards to a cross-border challenge. Maybe if enough people write to their teams, something can get started.

With the recent good bad-blood with the Hawks and Avs, I want more good rivalries. Minnesota-Winnipeg could be a great rivalry in the making.

No Offense to Winnipeg, but the Wild were always told they need to be a Playoff team for a few years before they would be considered. Winnipeg isnt a playoff team right now so if we did get an outdoor game Im sure it would be Chicago as an opponent

Billy Mays Here*

The following year's WC will be Chicago vs Chicago in which the Hawks split their team down the middle and have a scrimmage on National Television. When asked about the decision the NHL responded with "We needed to give Chicago some more national attention".

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
No Offense to Winnipeg, but the Wild were always told they need to be a Playoff team for a few years before they would be considered. Winnipeg isnt a playoff team right now so if we did get an outdoor game Im sure it would be Chicago as an opponent
I am not really talking about a Winter Classic or Stadium Series.

I'm talking about creating something just between Minnesota and Winnipeg that is played annually. Maybe an outdoor game that switches towns every year. Or a game played at a neutral site (like ND's arena). Or, what would be really cool, is an outdoor rink place right on the border.

Yes, the NHL would have to approve that, but I think they would say yes if it was sold the correct way.

There are two ways of doing things. Asking your superiors for permission. Or just going ahead and doing it, and then asking for ratification later.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Or St. Louis.

Didn't the league want to push Dallas as our outdoor game opponent and we wanted Chicago instead?

I'm talking about creating something just between Minnesota and Winnipeg that is played annually. Maybe an outdoor game that switches towns every year. Or a game played at a neutral site (like ND's arena). Or, what would be really cool, is an outdoor rink place right on the border.

Yes, the NHL would have to approve that, but I think they would say yes if it was sold the correct way.

There are two ways of doing things. Asking your superiors for permission. Or just going ahead and doing it, and then asking for ratification later.

Does UND have an open-air football stadium? If so how many people does it hold? I know their hockey arena only holds something like 12 or 14,000. Plus it's olympic sized ice in there isn't it?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Didn't the league want to push Dallas as our outdoor game opponent and we wanted Chicago instead?

Does UND have an open-air football stadium? If so how many people does it hold? I know their hockey arena only holds something like 12 or 14,000. Plus it's olympic sized ice in there isn't it?
UND plays in a dome and the Ralph is an NHL sheet.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND

I've always said The Wild and Jets should have an outdoor game on Lake of the Woods with the International Border as the red line.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
From Russo:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/264098541.html#03TTvAwAQHbfeA5q.01

As I mentioned last week, no outdoor game this season. It was supposed to be in February against Dallas at Target Field.
According to an NHL source, the Wild is at the "top of the list" for a stadium-series game and was scheduled to have a game this year. What held it up was timing and logistics, the source said. The Wild wants to make this a huge event by having outdoor high school and college games accompanying the stadium series game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad