News Article: Possible NHL Camps to Start May 15th

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't wait to hear players shout " f*** you bitch", "Go f*** yourself" or worst insults in crowd less arenas

Was thinking they should develop some kind of special effect using past real crowd noise and play it throughout the game - make one team's fans louder when that team is pressing. And of course the "Carey! Carey! Carey! Can be brought out after a big save, and after the anthems. Would beat dead silence.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Was thinking they should develop some kind of special effect using past real crowd noise and play it throughout the game - make one team's fans louder when that team is pressing. And of course the "Carey! Carey! Carey! Can be brought out after a big save, and after the anthems. Would beat dead silence.

And you would hear Go Habs Go chants whenever a game was played in Ottawa

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
That's not even remotely close to the worst stuff we will hear.

People will finally get to see how toxic the culture is with homophobic and sexist commentary.

I hope so.
The league will probably put a kybosh on that stuff before it starts though.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
That's not even remotely close to the worst stuff we will hear.

People will finally get to see how toxic the culture is with homophobic and sexist commentary.

Having played hockey myself until minor midget, when my very obvious lack of skating and talent got even more obvious (but my slap shot is pro level, being serious here), I can tell you it's actually not that bad up to that level. I don't know if it goes nuclear with meatheaded ignorance and social bias from the QMJHL and up, but from what I've personally seen in my beer league, it's actually getting gradually better on the homophobia and sexism fronts, most notably in the last 10 years or so. It's not perfect mind you, but an improvement nonetheless.

There's still a lot of work to do, but here in Montreal, I've noticed that there's been a drastic change in awareness since the 2000s on that topic. Kids are being taught and prepared now as early as primary school to try to keep themlseves informed, not judge and instead try to live with the differences of others, be it based on ethnicity, culture, gender, physical and mental disabilities, or sexual preferences and identity (the whole LGBTTTQQIAA spectrum).

Unfortunately, the kids are not all good students, nor are their teachers all free of ugly preconceptions. In the end, despite many valiant socially integrative efforts of pedagogical and didactic nature (ugh, confinement is doing weird things to my head, I'm using my best politician empty speech for no reason now), quite a few kids do not integrate everything they have been taught and shown in school, and will instead secretly nurse a deep-seated abhorrence towards certain traits that they see in others or themselves.

Off-topic note, one of the great founders of Sociology itself, Durkheim, writes some enlightening pieces on related subjects, discoursing on social identity, the notion of ''habitus'', social influences on opinions, and inherited preconceptions. Do yourself a favor and take some of his writings for a spin, they're really interesting.​

Since exposing their own viewpoints would leave them prone to heavy criticism, those few biased ones will often carry their bias with them quietly in their day-to-day lives and lie, pretend that they're perfectly fine with diversity when in their heart of hearts they are not. A minority of those, the more radical of the lot, will seek online kins of opinion, eventually end up on some rather extreme wesites flaunting distorted views, then find some comfort, some positive reinforcement of their own negative bias and will carry on secretly hating others. The extreme of the extreme of that group will sometimes start to identify with the radical group, begin involving themselves in it and then finally become the real deal, full-time skinheads, KKK clansmen, etc.. Those groups' incessant struggles with anti-fascist gatherings are both a major pain, and fun to see.

This era of political correctness has many faults, and leads to many discontents with how even more fake and re-hashed politicians will sound compared to earlier generations. More annoying even is how each word must be finessed when talking else someone's delicate sensitivities get hurt somehow and they find exception with you for being too raw, too crude, but it's also got its perks. Because racism, sexism and homophobia are widely perceived as bad behavior to exhibit in society, social constraints, politeness and the social contract itself ensures that those that hold those xenophobic opinions in one way or another will tend to flaunt them a lot less than they did only 20-30 years past. Personally, I think that it's a joy not having to hear disparaging comments about something or other being used in daily conversation, a very real upgrade to the sexist, racist, disabled-hating 20th century.

As for hockey, yes there are some bigots in the NHL, it might even be that the star player whom you really like watching play on your team is actually a huge homopobe, or the most extreme chauvinistic bastard this side of the Big Bang, but I'm quite certain the culture itself isn't ''toxic'' as you've stated. ''Troublingly stupid'', ''Rétrograde'' for those of you who speak french, I can definitely see being fitting, but not ''toxic'', it's too strong a word, and would imply the overwhelming majority of NHLers approve of racist, sexist, gender-related negative bias, which I frankly do not believe in, the NHL isn't that rotten of a league as a whole.

There's also the fact that chirping someone in a hockey game is no reflection of what players think or would endorse in their private lives. They just want to piss off other players, get them off their games, and if it takes a litany of swear words, insulting someone, his friends, his god, or having to resort to scatological parables mixing all three, the player's wife and an anthromorphized Cthulhu, then go for it. Leave the kids, mothers and dead relatives alone though, or you'll get what's coming for you. Leave your agitator asshole self on the ice or risk being perceived as classless, a gutter rat, just as Sean Avery (still hate that little puke) was seen after the whole ''leftovers'' fiasco in the media.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
The PGA is looking to start mid-May, the NBA is said to be starting up camps next week, and I know for a fact that for the phillies their starting pitchers have been in Clearwater (phillies A+ affiliate and spring training facility) for the past week or so getting ready for the start of the season. States in the US are slated to slowly re-open this week so we'll have to see how this plays out.

the US is allowing flights for US citizens, Sweden is open, I assume Russia would allow it so the main question would be Canada and do you really think the PM would stop hockey players from flying to the US as it would be the end of his career if so I would think.

taken from a thread on the main board as I didn't listen to it on the radio,

John Scott says NHL camps are beginning on June 1st

The prime minister really doesn’t give a crap about sports right now, he has to keep the country safe. His career would be over? Because he won’t let hockey restart unless it’s safe?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Still don’t think I am bored enough to watch this team. I wish they would just end the season and get the lottery over with so we know where we pick. This team hasn’t been fun to watch in years, a pandemic won’t change that for me.
I’m hoping to hear that Gallagher, Price and Weber have tweaked something taking out the garbage in the morning or doing the bottle challenge and won’t be re-joining the team for the last 10 games.

Let Hudon, Lindgren and Brook play the last few.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The prime minister really doesn’t give a crap about sports right now, he has to keep the country safe. His career would be over? Because he won’t let hockey restart unless it’s safe?

yes it's not hard to think that many people in Canada would be pissed if the NHL didn't start back up because he wouldn't let it. We are talking about the biggest country in the world for hockey fans and it's logical to think many people will love for hockey to be back. But it's a moot point, I believe I already saw that he would allow travel for players.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I love hockey but I would just say f*** it and cancel the rest of the season. It’s not worth the risk to players,their families etc. Do the virtual draft, free agency etc and hope that hockey can start on time in September. I hope everyone’s life can get back to somewhat normal by fall.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I actually think a 24 team tournament would be cool. Feels like Bloodsport where every team has a shot and the potential for crazy hard core short series brings the intensity to another level.

I’m actually pretty stoked and hope it does happen.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
And of course, we HAVE to be team #24. Ugh.

Make it 16 teams like usual and f*** off. I want a lottery pick.
The lottery pick looks like it’s not going to happen anyways if they go to the old rules. We’d lose nothing and have at least a week of playoff hockey. I’ll take it.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I actually think a 24 team tournament would be cool. Feels like Bloodsport where every team has a shot and the potential for crazy hard core short series brings the intensity to another level.

I’m actually pretty stoked and hope it does happen.
Might as well make it 31-team playoff so everyone really has a "chance". Only Boston (1st in league) will be exempt from the 1st round (since there are 31 teams) and will enter the 2nd round of 16-teams.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
yes it's not hard to think that many people in Canada would be pissed if the NHL didn't start back up because he wouldn't let it. We are talking about the biggest country in the world for hockey fans and it's logical to think many people will love for hockey to be back. But it's a moot point, I believe I already saw that he would allow travel for players.

Honestly, I would be pissed if they allow them to restart. So these guys can go back to training, they play sports, but regular folks can't even play tennis where they have no chance of actually catching the virus, none.
And I can't get even chill on the balcony 2m away from a friend.
I see no reason why those guys deserve to reopen ahead of other businesses.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Sounds like the NHL will be competing against NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS and all other summer sports (tennis, golf etc)… all without attendance. I'll be curious what kind of rating they get given all that competition for eyeballs.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

rmjJg3c.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad