News Article: Possible NHL Camps to Start May 15th

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The PGA is looking to start mid-May, the NBA is said to be starting up camps next week, and I know for a fact that for the phillies their starting pitchers have been in Clearwater (phillies A+ affiliate and spring training facility) for the past week or so getting ready for the start of the season. States in the US are slated to slowly re-open this week so we'll have to see how this plays out.

We can't even cross the Canada/USA border right now, how are they going to gather players from all around the world?

the US is allowing flights for US citizens, Sweden is open, I assume Russia would allow it so the main question would be Canada and do you really think the PM would stop hockey players from flying to the US as it would be the end of his career if so I would think.

The networks will have censor everything that is said on the ice, the whole game will be one giant beep.

taken from a thread on the main board as I didn't listen to it on the radio,

Organ and music will be played like always and league talks reccomending in game sound effects to be used.

John Scott says NHL camps are beginning on June 1st

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Would be great if it was the case for the camps to truly start in May, but I think it's still way too premature to get all excited here. Much could still go wrong in the weeks to come, and future setbacks are expected at this point.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
The PGA is looking to start mid-May, the NBA is said to be starting up camps next week, and I know for a fact that for the phillies their starting pitchers have been in Clearwater (phillies A+ affiliate and spring training facility) for the past week or so getting ready for the start of the season. States in the US are slated to slowly re-open this week so we'll have to see how this plays out.

the US is allowing flights for US citizens, Sweden is open, I assume Russia would allow it so the main question would be Canada and do you really think the PM would stop hockey players from flying to the US as it would be the end of his career if so I would think.

While that may be true, are there any flights to the US right now? I doubt it.
That could of course change during the coming weeks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As much as I miss sports, especially hockey, not sure if this is a good idea.

Anyhow, let's hope they can do it safely.....for players and fans....

The Habs miserable season is about to return...it's only been like this for five years now, what's another 11 games. Then they can join the PGA guys and head out to the links.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

As far as I know, the NHL is -far- from essential, so why would it be the end of a country's leader ? Come on.

Now, I don't remember the exact date when Trudeau enacted his '30 days closed border', but I think it's supposed to end near the 15th of may, so it may resolve everything around there anyway.

But if he wants to keep borders closed and re-enacts another 30 days, it's not like the NHL will have any kind of power on that.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Having a full NHL season without fans in the stands is going to be a failure, one way or another because the economic reality of the situation will prevail.

I can see the 7 Canadian teams playing each other and there being enough TV and radio revenue to be viable and that is the only thing I can see working.

Why should Canadian fans bail out Bettman?

That is the question that needs to be answered and when the plan is on the table we’ll see who’s on board and who isn’t. Prepare to be disappointed.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/nhl-team-planning-may-15-workouts-ahead-of-possible-restart/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Also former Hab John Scott is saying he's heard the league is looking at starting back up in June and Sirius sports reporting nhl has plan regular season to be played in empty arenas beginning June 9-12th with playoffs starting on July 1st.
A 4 day regular season?

I imagine they get approval from both Canada and USA.
Trump definitely won't be an issue. He wants Pro Sports back.

But I mean worst-case, they cut out the Canadian teams if no agreement can be reached. And I'm sure it'll be a limited travel schedule where once you go, you're kinda there until it's over.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Essential people can, so I assume athletes will be deemed essential ?

I'm sure there is dialog going on right now as we speak between NHL, NHLPA, and both the US and Canadian governments. Call it a phased out re-opening of the economy. Restaurants and Bars to be last I would imagine

I guessing the target is June 1st depending on cases/death growth in certain areas of NA. This is why the mid May training camps talk makes sense. However that can change moving forward cause it's still a fluid situation

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
So they award the cup in August, players get a couple of weeks off and then back to business as usual?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The Laffs a solid chance of winning, since we all know that Matthews is very productive early on during the season, before fading come playoffs time. This summer's run will be like starting the season all over again! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad