Possibility of Muzzin and/or Brodie left unprotected in the expansion draft?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
If you look at projections of Seattle's picks for every team combined. Defense is going to being their big strength. Holl or Dermott will be a 6 or 7.

Leafs are actually in pretty good shape, there are a lot of UFA that if they simply don't resign until after the draft they don't even need to protect. It wouldn't surprise me if they go 4 -4 - 1. We'll either lose our #5 defenseman, Kerfoot or Engvall.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
0% chance.

Leafs will go 8 skaters / 1 goalie

1. Matthews
  2. Tavares
  3. Marner
  4. Nylander
  5. Reilly
  6. Brodie
  7. Muzzin
  8. Holl
They'll meet expansion recruitments via:

1. Hutchinson
  2. Dermott
  3. Engvall
  4. Kerfoot

And they'll probably lose Kerfoot; as mentioned above, Dermott is an interesting option for Seattle but they'll have an abundance of Dmen to select from.

Reactions: david999

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Watch past few games it has occured at various points .. Dermy has played with Muzzy and Rielly even for a few shifts .. Holl was sat down for poor play
I guess you didn't watch the game where Holl played with Rielly.

Hell, Holl is 3rd on the blueline in minutes over the last five games. Dermott is... 7th. Dermott played ~13 minutes in each of the Winnipeg games, Holl played 22 and 26 (2nd and 1st for dmen). Dermott hasn't played 15 minutes in a game since March. He hasn't played 20 in a game since February. He hasn't played more minutes in a game than Holl has all year.

It's cool that you like Dermott, hell, it's even cool that you hate Holl. But dudemanbro, it's whack as hell that you make shit up and then tell people to watch the games.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
0% chance.

1. Matthews
  2. Tavares
  3. Marner
  4. Nylander
  5. Reilly
  6. Brodie
  7. Muzzin
  8. Holl

1. Hutchinson
  2. Dermott
  3. Engvall
  4. Kerfoot

And they'll probably lose Kerfoot; as mentioned above, Dermott is an interesting option for Seattle but they'll have an abundance of Dmen to select from.

Agree except I think the Leafs expose Holl over Dermott. Still think Kerfoot is gone either way.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I guess you didn't watch the game where Holl played with Rielly.

Hell, Holl is 3rd on the blueline in minutes over the last five games. Dermott is... 7th. Dermott played ~13 minutes in each of the Winnipeg games, Holl played 22 and 26 (2nd and 1st for dmen). Dermott hasn't played 15 minutes in a game since March. He hasn't played 20 in a game since February. He hasn't played more minutes in a game than Holl has all year.

It's cool that you like Dermott, hell, it's even cool that you hate Holl. But dudemanbro, it's whack as hell that you make shit up and then tell people to watch the games.
I did watch game where Holl played with Rielly and they both SUCKED terrible ... brutal brutal brutal together .. zero defense with both .. but Muzzy was much better that game eh funny how that goes .. I could care less about minutes .. no D gives a r*ts *ss about minutes .. Brodie stabilizes Rielly .. and Muzz stabilizes Holl

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I did watch game where Holl played with Rielly and they both SUCKED terrible ... brutal brutal brutal together .. zero defense with both .. but Muzzy was much better that game eh funny how that goes .. I could care less about minutes .. no D gives a r*ts *ss about minutes .. Brodie stabilizes Rielly .. and Muzz stabilizes Holl
No D gives a rat's ass about minutes? Guy, you just wrote a post where you said that Holl got his ass sat on the bench for playing badly. Don't tell us that the guy got punished with low minutes and then in the next post write that nobody cares about minutes. Dermott literally got healthy scratched a week ago. Come up with a better argument for why Dermott is a better player than "he played a few shifts with Rielly watch the games".

Sure, Brodie stabilizes Rielly and Muzzin stabilizes Holl. No argument from me there. Neither of them is getting exposed in the draft.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
0% chance.

1. Matthews
  2. Tavares
  3. Marner
  4. Nylander
  5. Reilly
  6. Brodie
  7. Muzzin
  8. Holl

1. Hutchinson
  2. Dermott
  3. Engvall
  4. Kerfoot

100% this situation. Leafs will protect the Big 4 upfront and the Big 4 on the backend. Re-sign Hyman after the expansion draft.

Seattle likely selects Dermott or Mikheyev in this case. Kerfoot has a pretty unappealing contract, while Dermott's underlying profile is nearly identical to pre-Vegas Nate Schmidt. Mik is a low-cost, bottom-six option.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If it wasn't at least a small consideration/option I don't believe the contracts would be structured that way. Pridham/Dubas are playing chess.

Liljegren and Sandin have to play.

If the Leafs want to make that a priority, it's really not that difficult.... move Dermott if Seattle doesn't take him. Get a vet that maybe has a little more versatility than Bogosian; and alternate them in. Consider pairing Holl with Sandin and Liljegren with Muzzin on some nights and roll 3 units.

Hell... with Bogosian out; I'd strongly consider doing it now to a) Get Liljegren some game action and b) develop some chemistry in case we lose a defenceman to injury.

Put Liljegren out there with Muzzin and Sandin with Holl. Give Muzzin a night or two off and play Dermott with Liljegren. Also gotta get Hutton in there at some point too.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Agree except I think the Leafs expose Holl over Dermott. Still think Kerfoot is gone either way.

That's interesting - why do you think they do that?

Also, if Holl is exposed: that's a top 4 Dman making $2million for the next 2 years. That's an awesome deal, for a team that needs all the cap help. Not sure I agree that they'd protect Dermott over Holl, or that Seattle would take Kerfoot if Holl is available.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I've been a believer in Dermott, and still do believe in him to some degree.

But, he's in his fourth season with the team, and still doesn't look like somebody who needs to be in the lineup. We have Rielly, Muzzin and Sandin on the right side.

Holl solidifies our top four making 2 million dollars, and has a few years of prime left in him at least.

It's probably Dermott.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Brodie and Muzzin have their no move clauses converted to no trade clauses for the 2021-2022 season.

How no-movement clauses are shaping Seattle's expansion landscape

From the article:
By way of an example, look at the structure of two contracts the Toronto Maple Leafs signed with veteran defencemen over the past 14 months: Jake Muzzin and T.J. Brodie will both see their NMC’s convert to no-trade clauses for the 2021-22 season, which means neither is required to be protected in the expansion draft.

With continued cap pressure, and young inexpensive talent coming like Sandin and Liljegren, I think it's a very likely scenario one or both is unprotected.

Reilly Liljegen
Sandin Holl
Dermott ?
I read it somewhere a couple months back i think it was. They were going over this scenario you posted. Ahhh I don’t think so but who knows. The G.M has every responsibility to improve the team by any means but I can’t see allowing either to be lost for a chance at a UFA Thats no guarantee. I’d bet on them being protected.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Dermott and Bogosian aren't under contract for next year.

The Leafs have some minor housekeepung to do. If they protect the top four D, they need to sign someone who otherwise meets the exposure requirements.

Either Dermott or Bogosian would do.

There's no one else in the Leafs' organization with enough games played to fill the bill.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I'm protecting Dermott over Holl. Younger. D tend to take a little longer to peak. Probably won't reach that till he's 26-27. Had and still has more upside. Cheaper. Can play anywhere he's needed (either side). Proved that when Muzzin and Rielly went down. Good insurance if there's another injury, if Muzzin declines, if Rielly prices himself out of town or if god forbid Sandin turns into Gostisbehere.

Reactions: Ciao

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The forwards such a move would be protecting (Kerfoot, Engvall, Brooks, Malgin and Petan) combined aren't worth either Muzzin or Brodie. Seattle would be doing the team a huge favour if they took one of those forwards over Dermott. We have to deal with the reality that a serviceable NHL player (probably Dermott or Kerfoot) will be lost in the expansion draft this time around.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm protecting Dermott over Holl. Younger. D tend to take a little longer to peak. Probably won't reach that till he's 26-27. Had and still has more upside. Cheaper. Can play anywhere he's needed (either side). Proved that when Muzzin and Rielly went down. Good insurance if there's another injury, if Muzzin declines, if Rielly prices himself out of town or if god forbid Sandin turns into Gostisbehere.
I agree but i like Holl. Dermott has the upside because of the youth. He could also possibly be had for the same amount or less than Holl. I would be over the moon to keep both. That would mean we lose Kerfoot and Kerfoot has grown on me in a good positive way. Whatever happens in the expansion draft I won’t be happy ha :)

I despise this expansion but that means you have lots of talent and all that other noise dada-dada-dada.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I agree but i like Holl. Dermott has the upside because of the youth. He could also possibly be had for the same amount or less than Holl. I would be over the moon to keep both. That would mean we lose Kerfoot and Kerfoot has grown on me in a good positive way. Whatever happens in the expansion draft I won’t be happy ha :)

I despise this expansion but that means you have lots of talent and all that other noise dada-dada-dada.

Keeping both would be preferred for sure. And I've liked Kerfoot all along but I think his 3.5m will be needed elsewhere.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I've mentioned it in other threads but I also think Kerfoot has a decent chance of being taken. Seattle will need centers and he's one of the few available not to mention their front office has stats folks working for it and Kerfoots underlying numbers are usually pretty strong. I like Dermott but unless he proves himself to be 100% on the verge of taking the next step between now and the end of the playoffs is wager he's also exposed

I also think folks are overrating potential future potential of Dermott vs the ability of Holl to play 20iah min a night right now.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Yeah best case scenario is Kerfoot, second is probably Dermott, though that one stings more. Would be absolutely shocked if Brodie or Muzzin were exposed.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Brodie and Muzzin have their no move clauses converted to no trade clauses for the 2021-2022 season.

How no-movement clauses are shaping Seattle's expansion landscape

From the article:
By way of an example, look at the structure of two contracts the Toronto Maple Leafs signed with veteran defencemen over the past 14 months: Jake Muzzin and T.J. Brodie will both see their NMC’s convert to no-trade clauses for the 2021-22 season, which means neither is required to be protected in the expansion draft.

With continued cap pressure, and young inexpensive talent coming like Sandin and Liljegren, I think it's a very likely scenario one or both is unprotected.

Reilly Liljegen
Sandin Holl
Dermott ?

That defense corps is horrible.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad