Possibility of Muzzin and/or Brodie left unprotected in the expansion draft?

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Brodie and Muzzin have their no move clauses converted to no trade clauses for the 2021-2022 season.

How no-movement clauses are shaping Seattle's expansion landscape

From the article:
By way of an example, look at the structure of two contracts the Toronto Maple Leafs signed with veteran defencemen over the past 14 months: Jake Muzzin and T.J. Brodie will both see their NMC’s convert to no-trade clauses for the 2021-22 season, which means neither is required to be protected in the expansion draft.

With continued cap pressure, and young inexpensive talent coming like Sandin and Liljegren, I think it's a very likely scenario one or both is unprotected.

Reilly Liljegen
Sandin Holl
Dermott ?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd say Brodie is a hard no .. He wouldn't sign here just to be exposed a year later, particularly with his wife's health

Plus his style of game will play well into his 30's.

Muzzin likely won't be exposed as he seems like one of the leaders on the blue line, but I see some rationale in doing that given his age, contract, and the LHD depth behind him in the org.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Close to 0 chance . Brodie has been their best d this season and just signed him. Stylistically they need a guy like Muzzin as well. Holl or Dermott go . Or you insentivise Seattle with a pic to take someone else.

Reactions: banks

Once

Jul 16, 2010
They'll pay up to have Seattle not pick a Holl or Mikheyev. Based on the last expansion, we likely lose a guy like Dermott or Kerf + a pick/prospect.

Reactions: The Apologist

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
If it wasn't at least a small consideration/option I don't believe the contracts would be structured that way. Pridham/Dubas are playing chess.

Liljegren and Sandin have to play.

There are definitely ways to ensure they both have a chance to play next year that doesn't involve making our team worse though.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
They'll pay up to have Seattle not pick a Holl or Mikheyev. Based on the last expansion, we likely lose a guy like Dermott or Kerf + a pick/prospect.

We protect 4D and 4F
If they want to keep Holl they protect him.

Mikheyev does not need protected.
I doubt Dubas goes for any backdoor schenanigins.

Reilly, Brodie, Muzz, Holl or Dermott
Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Willy

Simple
pick whoever from Holl or Dermott is not protected or Kerfoot/Engvall
No need for any side deals

The one wildcard is if Seattle would take Hyman as a UFA

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I probably wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility with the contracts structured as they are. I would think it to be an either/or scenario though and not a case of both, and that would be at its very most. It sounds awkward at the moment too since they are playing key roles on the team. I'd also hate to lose either simply for no return other than cap space. That said, I'd still view it as unlikely.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Brodie no. Muzzin maybe

Muz has declined in my opinion. He also has a hefty contract. I can see him exposed. I also don't see Seattle picking him up. There will a lot of good D with contracts out there

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If it wasn't at least a small consideration/option I don't believe the contracts would be structured that way. Pridham/Dubas are playing chess.

Liljegren and Sandin have to play.

You structure the contracts that way so that you can expose them if they don't live up to their contracts. But that's not the case.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When push comes to shove Holl, Kerfoot and Engvall will be left unprotected .. and we will likely lose Holl .. Dermy has shown over past 2-3 weeks that he can easily slide up to 2nd pair and perform .. and he is still developing/growing.. whereas Holl has dropped off to our worst defender over same time period as Muzzy's play has declined (likely fatigue) .. da reason I say this is Muzzy looked better again with both Brodie and Dermy (even if he is gassed)

Reactions: Ciao

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
The contracts were structured that way as a fail safe. Rather than the buyout-proof contracts some GMs have signed, these had a "pull the chute" option built in, in case either guy became a problem before expansion. Or, possibly, in case Toronto added another top defenceman that needed protecting.

Dubas will not be pulling that chute. No chance.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
When push comes to shove Holl, Kerfoot and Engvall will be left unprotected .. and we will likely lose Holl .. Dermy has shown over past 2-3 weeks that he can easily slide up to 2nd pair and perform .. and he is still developing/growing.. whereas Holl has dropped off to our worst defender over same time period as Muzzy's play has declined (likely fatigue) .. da reason I say this is Muzzy looked better again with both Brodie and Dermy (even if he is gassed)

I’m sorry when did this happen? Dermott has been on the third pair all season long.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd say exceedingly low to almost 0.

The team is looking to win now, they're not going to want to lose one of their top D men for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad