Possable 2010 US Olympic team

Johnny Snake Eyes

Apr 2, 2007
maine
Just wanted to know what you guys thought on the potential us '10 olympic team.

Forwards:
Cole
Gomez
Gionta
Drury
Kessel
Ryan
Stansty
Blake
O'Sullivan
Knuble
Kane
JVR
Okposa
Muller

Defense:
E+J Johnson
Liles
Leapold
Rafalski
Schneider

Goalies:
Miller
Dipietro

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Just wanted to know what you guys thought on the potential us '10 olympic team.

Forwards:
Cole
Gomez
Gionta
Drury
Kessel
Ryan
Stansty
Blake
O'Sullivan
Knuble
Kane
JVR
Okposa
Muller

Defense:
E+J Johnson
Liles
Leapold
Rafalski
Schneider

Goalies:
Miller
Dipietro

I would take out Schneider for either Ryan Whitney or Mike Komisarek. Brian Rolston instead of Mike Knuble.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's my picks:

Forwards (x13):

Paul Stastny
Zack Parise
Scott Gomez
Brian Gionta
Chris Drury
Erik Cole
Dustin Brown
Phil Kessel
Chris Higgins
Brian Rolston
Patrick O'Sullivan
Drew Stafford
Peter Mueller

Defense (x7):

Ryan Whitney
Keith Ballard
John-Michael Liles
Mike Komisarek
Matt Carle
Jack Johnson
Brian Rafalski

Goaltenders (x3):

Rick DiPietro
Ryan Miller
Jimmy Howard

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A little bit too far off to really tell, especially with so many young Americans coming in this year and next, but I find it absolutely hard to believe that noone put Drew Stafford on that team. He will be Joel Otto reincarnated, but with much more scoring ability...you need a guy like him with so many smaller forwards.

My Team if I was GM would be.

Forwards
Chris Drury
Brian Gionta
Erik Cole
Jason Blake
Ryan Malone- he will bounce back and be an elite power forward!
Mike Knuble
Drew Stafford
Zach Parise
Phil Kessel
Dustin Brown
Lee Stempniak
David Legwand- next Mike Modano..can't believe noone had him either.
Paul Stastny

Defense
Ryan Whitney
Matt Carle - what more does this guy need to do to get respect. d-game will come.
Mike Komisarek
Jack Johnson
Keith Ballard
Matt Greene
Erik Johnson

Goalies
Ryan Miller
Rick Dipietro
Jimmy Howard

Honorable mentions- Pat Kane, Higgins, Rolston, Pavelski, Liles, Welch, and Lashoff..and...umm Chelios!!

You almost have to look at what Canada can put out there, and the size of the bulk of their forwards. The US has too many smaller sized forwards. I know it would be on Olympic ice, so speed will help, but you still need bodies to compete against guys like Nash, Gagne, Staal, Thorton, etc.. The US needs bigger guys to step up, and thats why you have to have Knuble, Stafford, Cole, and Malone. No love for Legwand out there either I see. Can't bank on Tim Connolly ever being healthy, but if so he needs to be mentioned too.

Lines
1. Gionta, Legwand, Stafford
2. Knuble, Drury, Stastny
3. Blake, Kessel, Cole
4. Stempniak, Parise, Brown/Malone

1. Whitney, Komisarek
2. Ballard, Carle
3. J. Johnson, E. Johnson
4. Greene

Miller starts every game, bottom line.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You almost have to look at what Canada can put out there, and the size of the bulk of their forwards. The US has too many smaller sized forwards. I know it would be on Olympic ice, so speed will help, but you still need bodies to compete against guys like Nash, Gagne, Staal, Thorton, etc.. The US needs bigger guys to step up, and thats why you have to have Knuble, Stafford, Cole, and Malone. No love for Legwand out there either I see. Can't bank on Tim Connolly ever being healthy, but if so he needs to be mentioned too.

I'm not gonna criticize your post in anyway, but just so you know (and anyone else who reads this) the 2010 Olympics will be played on NHL sized ice.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm not gonna criticize your post in anyway, but just so you know (and anyone else who reads this) the 2010 Olympics will be played on NHL sized ice.

Are you sure of this? I thought that it still will be on Olympic Sized ice even in Vancouver. If not, then my fault on that, but then that makes my point even more so, that YOU NEED BIGGER PLAYERS to compete with Canada.

I have all the 02' games on tape, I will watch them and see if Salt Lake City had Olympic Ice.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Are you sure of this? I thought that it still will be on Olympic Sized ice even in Vancouver. If not, then my fault on that, but then that makes my point even more so, that YOU NEED BIGGER PLAYERS to compete with Canada.

I have all the 02' games on tape, I will watch them and see if Salt Lake City had Olympic Ice.

Salt Lake City most certainly had international sized ice, but Vancouver will not.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would be shocked if Chris Higgins and Mike Komisarek aren't on the team.

overall, looks like a pretty darn good team, might we see a rematch of Salt Lake City?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would be shocked if Chris Higgins and Mike Komisarek aren't on the team.

overall, looks like a pretty darn good team, might we see a rematch of Salt Lake City?

well it definitely should be, too much talent coming into the league to not be.

I take it your a Montreal fan from other posts, how is Chris Higgins doing?

His numbers are not what I expected from him this year. I heard he has been battling some injuries, but this was THE kid that I thought would put up 35 goals and 75 points this year. Any take on why the numbers are down, and why do you believe Higgins should make the US squad in 2010?? I left him off the 2010 squad because I wasn't sure why his numbers weren't better. 21 goals isn't too bad, but not what I expected from him.

The U.S. has a lot of very talented players, but very few if any stars right now. Maybe Kane, O'Sullivan, Schremp, Ryan, JVR, Boyle, Oshie, Mueller, Okposo, Kessel, and the Johnsons can turn into that, but if the U.S. is to compete with Canada, then we need to start producing top flight stars which we are sadly lacking.

Cole, Legwand, Parise, Gionta, Blake, Drury, Rolston, and Gomez aren't stars. They are our most offensively talented players, and I love em' all, but none would be considered stars right now.

kilo41ak

Jul 31, 2006
Homer, AK
www.hockeydb.com
A little bit too far off to really tell, especially with so many young Americans coming in this year and next, but I find it absolutely hard to believe that noone put Drew Stafford on that team. He will be Joel Otto reincarnated, but with much more scoring ability...you need a guy like him with so many smaller forwards.

My Team if I was GM would be.

Forwards
Chris Drury
Brian Gionta
Erik Cole
Jason Blake
Ryan Malone- he will bounce back and be an elite power forward!
Mike Knuble
Drew Stafford
Zach Parise
Phil Kessel
Dustin Brown
Lee Stempniak
David Legwand- next Mike Modano..can't believe noone had him either.
Paul Stastny

Defense
Ryan Whitney
Matt Carle - what more does this guy need to do to get respect. d-game will come.
Mike Komisarek
Jack Johnson
Keith Ballard
Matt Greene
Erik Johnson

Goalies
Ryan Miller
Rick Dipietro
Jimmy Howard

Honorable mentions- Pat Kane, Higgins, Rolston, Pavelski, Liles, Welch, and Lashoff..and...umm Chelios!!

Lines
1. Gionta, Legwand, Stafford
2. Knuble, Drury, Stastny
3. Blake, Kessel, Cole
4. Stempniak, Parise, Brown/Malone

1. Whitney, Komisarek
2. Ballard, Carle
3. J. Johnson, E. Johnson
4. Greene

Miller starts every game, bottom line.

Legwand over a Gomez? Wow. You must really not like his game or you just plain forgot. But I would be keeping Gionta and Gomez on the same line, especially if The devils resign them.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
The U.S. has a lot of very talented players, but very few if any stars right now. Maybe Kane, O'Sullivan, Schremp, Ryan, JVR, Boyle, Oshie, Mueller, Okposo, Kessel, and the Johnsons can turn into that, but if the U.S. is to compete with Canada, then we need to start producing top flight stars which we are sadly lacking.

Cole, Legwand, Parise, Gionta, Blake, Drury, Rolston, and Gomez aren't stars. They are our most offensively talented players, and I love em' all, but none would be considered stars right now.

Agree, when compared to what Canada has, we just aren't anywhere near there.For some strange reason, it seems like the U.S. really regressed in talent over the past ten years; very strange because hockey went through a relative boom in the past 20 years.

I do happen to think that at least a few of our youngsters will turn into legitimate stars and we wil have a player or two in the top 10 scoring within the next 3 or so years.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005

Parise will be a star. The other guys are just really good players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Legwand over a Gomez? Wow. You must really not like his game or you just plain forgot. But I would be keeping Gionta and Gomez on the same line, especially if The devils resign them.

I love Gomez, and no I did not forget him. Simply put, there are way too many smaller forwards that this team could have, and I like Legwand over Gomez for his overall talent, and game breaking speed. Why is Legwand such a shock? He is playing on a pretty stacked team where ice-time is limited, and finished what 3rd or 4th in scoring for U.S. born players??

If Chicago or someone else can sign Gomez out of New Jersey, then he has a chance to be a top 10 scorer, but as long as he gets stiffled in NJ, I don't see him making this team, especially if Tim Connolly is healthy, which he looks amazing already.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Parise will be a star. The other guys are just really good players.

Not saying Parise won't be a star, I said none of these players currently are stars. And again, as long as Parise plays in N.J. just like Gomez and Gionta, their full potential and talent will never be reached.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's my picks:

Forwards (x13):

Paul Stastny
Zack Parise
Scott Gomez
Brian Gionta
Chris Drury
Erik Cole
Dustin Brown
Phil Kessel
Chris Higgins
Brian Rolston
Patrick O'Sullivan
Drew Stafford
Peter Mueller

Defense (x7):

Ryan Whitney
Keith Ballard
John-Michael Liles
Mike Komisarek
Matt Carle
Jack Johnson
Brian Rafalski

Goaltenders (x3):

Rick DiPietro
Ryan Miller
Jimmy Howard

Ryan Suter?

Too many offensive defensemen on the team IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad