Possable 2010 US Olympic team

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Not saying Parise won't be a star, I said none of these players currently are stars. And again, as long as Parise plays in N.J. just like Gomez and Gionta, their full potential and talent will never be reached.

Gionta had 48 goals last year and I disagree with your assessment that players who play for the Devils that their full potential and talent will not be reached, that's just not true.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Gionta had 48 goals last year and I disagree with your assessment that players who play for the Devils that their full potential and talent will not be reached, that's just not true.

well thats a good point, but was that a fluke year for Gionta? do you see him doing that again..ever? if N.J. loses Gomez, I dont know if Gionta will ever hit 40 again without a center like Scotty.

I still dont think Gomez has ever hit his full potential in N.J, nor has Elias. They both have much more to offer. Gionta can do more too, I am not trying to contradict myself here, but I think Gionta in another city would have monster season(s) in a row... i just dont see it in N.J.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
well thats a good point, but was that a fluke year for Gionta? do you see him doing that again..ever? if N.J. loses Gomez, I dont know if Gionta will ever hit 40 again without a center like Scotty.

I still dont think Gomez has ever hit his full potential in N.J, nor has Elias. They both have much more to offer. Gionta can do more too, I am not trying to contradict myself here, but I think Gionta in another city would have monster season(s) in a row... i just dont see it in N.J.

Well here's the thing, they both have helped the Devils win two cups and stay cup contenders every year, to say they can offer more that all depends on how you look at success. The Devils philosophy is team first, not individuals.

A great example is Neidermeyer, he could have better personal stats if he played for a team that played a open style game, but do you think he would ever trade his three cups he won for better personal stats? I'm sure Marcel Dionne would love to trade some of his numbers in for his name on the cup.

As far Gionta even it was a fluke year he's till a 35-40 goal scorer IMO, he just had groin injuries this year that held him back, I also don't know if he could ever top 48 goals on any other team, the Devils style is totally built for him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well here's the thing, they both have helped the Devils win two cups and stay cup contenders every year, to say they can offer more that all depends on how you look at success. The Devils philosophy is team first, not individuals.

A great example is Neidermeyer, he could have better personal stats if he played for a team that played a open style game, but do you think he would ever trade his three cups he won for better personal stats? I'm sure Marcel Dionne would love to trade some of his numbers in for his name on the cup.

As far Gionta even it was a fluke year he's till a 35-40 goal scorer IMO, he just had groin injuries this year that held him back, I also don't know if he could ever top 48 goals on any other team, the Devils style is totally built for him.

Again all good points, but I really think those cup victories had more to do with that amazing defense and that dude that was in the crease..um whats his name..Martin something or another.

I am simply saying that Gomez has more to offer statistically then he has..which is what you said about Neidermayer. Gionta was hurt this year, so I will give him that, I hope he bounces back bigtime for next year because I love to watch that little guy play.

I love the Devils, and I love how consistent they have been with very little fanfare, but they sacrifice too much offense (which is what excites us and puts butts in the seats) to play some defensive minded system. You have to let the leash off sometimes man. Good points though.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
well it definitely should be, too much talent coming into the league to not be.

I take it your a Montreal fan from other posts, how is Chris Higgins doing?

His numbers are not what I expected from him this year. I heard he has been battling some injuries, but this was THE kid that I thought would put up 35 goals and 75 points this year. Any take on why the numbers are down, and why do you believe Higgins should make the US squad in 2010?? I left him off the 2010 squad because I wasn't sure why his numbers weren't better. 21 goals isn't too bad, but not what I expected from him.

The injury (ankle) hit him pretty hard... early in the season he continued his torrid pace from the end of last year, when he went down he was the leading goal scorer from after the olympics until then, and on pace for 40+ goals this year (and he was an absolute DEMON on the PK).
I think that he may have come back a little too soon, and basically was playing catch up the rest of the season.
The way he played in the last game of the year vs the Leafs showed that he is back on track... he was awesome, quick, explosive, smart... scored two, set up one and made a ton of other great plays. The best part was the seeing him after the loss. THis kid has a ton of heart and clearly had put it all on the line.
I expect him to break out next year, with 40 goals being a very strong possability.

He had momentary flashes, but could not sustain it game in game out.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Are you sure of this? I thought that it still will be on Olympic Sized ice even in Vancouver. If not, then my fault on that, but then that makes my point even more so, that YOU NEED BIGGER PLAYERS to compete with Canada.

I have all the 02' games on tape, I will watch them and see if Salt Lake City had Olympic Ice.

Salt Lake City built an Olympic sized rink for the Olympics, but since Vancouver will be using the GM Center for matches, they aren't going to change the dimensions of the rink. That would take about a month before and after to change the seating at ice level, etc. And the Canucks on a 2 month road trip? That's unfair to any team. So the IIHF agreed to use the North American dimensions as opposed to the International ones in this case only.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Remember though, DiPietro played very well in Turin.

Whether its Miller or Dipietro they will be in good shape in net.

If the games will be on NHL ice. Paul Gaustad would be a great 4th line checking center. Adds size 6'4" 230 that this team will need. Strong Pker and also good on draws.

If healthy, Tim Connolly is definately on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad