Positivity thread

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The place erupted when they tied it up in regulation. Love seeing that. I'm okay with losing all the games right now because I want the gap between us and 2nd last to be so far that we can win whatever the hell we want after the deadline with the kids without it affecting our lottery standings. We're pretty much at that point now anyway.

My dream scenario is to lose out until the deadline. Make a few moves, get rid of the old balls and call up the kids. From there we go on a huge tear after the deadline. We win a bunch of games, the fans start loving the kids and the Avs, and we still finish last place. I wanna be excited for hockey again and last night I was. I have a dog which I got in July of last year. He was sat next to me while I was watching the game last night and when the Avs scored to tie the game I screamed "SCOREES" and the dog jumped and I'm pretty certain came close to s******g himself he was so scared. I realized it was the first time in my dog's young life that he got to experience me getting excited like that over an Avalanche game. If he was around in 13/14 he would have probably ran away :laugh:

I don't think it's a 'dream scenario' as much as it's the actual plan. This is 100% what I would do, if I were in Sakic's position. We'll have 21 games left after the TD.

I believe Sakic will dump as much as he can, even if he's turning Blake Comeau into Lance Bouma (just an example - similar cap hit / term remaining) just to have something different in the room than what we've had here.

I don't know how much of a 'tear' they'll be going on because this team is still fundamentally flawed on D and they'll be playing playoff teams with more on the line but as long as the effort is there, I don't care how many they win. I think getting rid of all that is currently NOT working is going to help this team. Gone will be the 'leaders' that can no longer lead by example and the team will be 'given back' to those who should lead-it, so to speak. Bringing in some youth will surely give this team a nice boost and give the fans some hope. Sakic needs to move out ALL the deadweight he can : Iginla, Beauchemin*, Comeau, RBourque, Tyutin, Weircioch & Mitchell would be the 7 guys I'd trade, personally. (Gollumbeef - I doubt anyone wants him)

*Beauchemin - If I'm Sakic, I'm putting it straight to him this way : "Hey frank, would you consider waiving your no-trade clause so we can move you to another team? Because we've decided to go in another direction and we won't be putting you in the lineup for these last 21 games of the season. If you want to play, waive your no trade clause or else that will happen and then we'll buy you out this summer. You can then try to find another job trying to explain why the worst team in the league sat you down to eat nachos for the last 21 games of the season and your career can possibly end in that very manner. Don't be a d-bag and do the right thing."

I know it's pretty cut-throat but this team needs to move forward...if there's ANY interest in beauchemin (and I think there is as long as we eat salary or accept a similar $2M-$3M contract coming back) Joe has got to make this happen.

For beauchemin, to refuse to waive your NTC in order to play an extra 21 games on a last place team and then get bought out makes no sense, career-wise.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I feel positive for the future. Sakic appears to have positioned the team so as to set them up for a longer PO and SC run window with youth and cap flexibility. Most of the fans here are aware of it but it's overshadowed by the team's poor season. Getting there all the quicker means enduring the present lack of depth.

We will have some good players and home grown talent in the next few years. A few moves and this team's performance should improve markedly.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Mikko wasn't injured in the Zadorov accident.

We might see Bigras or Siemens in NHL soon.

I too am very positive about our future. It's good for my mental health also.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Mikko wasn't injured in the Zadorov accident.

We might see Bigras or Siemens in NHL soon.

I too am very positive about our future. It's good for my mental health also.

Not that there's anything good about Z getting hurt, but I'm hoping it at least opens the door for Bigras or Siemens to get some big minutes. Time to see what we have in Siemens especially, the guy has put his time in.

After the deadline I'd love to see:

Landeskog - Duchene - Grigorenko
Greer - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nieto - Soderberg - Compher

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I feel positive for the future. Sakic appears to have positioned the team so as to set them up for a longer PO and SC run window with youth and cap flexibility. Most of the fans here are aware of it but it's overshadowed by the team's poor season. Getting there all the quicker means enduring the present lack of depth.

We will have some good players and home grown talent in the next few years. A few moves and this team's performance should improve markedly.

Agreed. I expected this season to be a lost cause before it even started. Obviously not as bad as it's been, but I had us pegged for a 73 point season and a Top 5 pick in the draft.

The EJ + Varlamov injury undoubtedly has played a role in us being where we are in the standings. It's probably the difference of anywhere from 5-10 wins at this point. I mean we're still no doubt in the bottom 2-3 in the league but we wouldn't be this far behind.

But I really like the prospect pool Sakic and our scouting staff have put together currently. Jost, Greer, Compher, and Beaudin are all pretty safe bets for NHL futures IMO. Jost is the safest to be a Top 6 forward but I think all 4 guys have that potential. They're also all good two way players and guys who bring a 100% effort every night. That's the type of forward we need to start filling in our Top 9 with and it's why I'm excited about our future still. Add in a Nolan Patrick or a Nico Hischier to that group to go along with Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog(Assuming we only trade 1 of Duchene/Landy) and there's a lot to be excited about in the future for our forward group.

The Defense is much more of a challenge. It's become clear this year that Barrie is not a Top pairing Dman. He needs to be sheltered, which is fine but we dont have the guys to properly shelter him right now. Zadorov is certainly a guy you can get excited about as well but he still has a lot of development that needs to happen before we can label him a Top pairing guy. EJs injury history is becoming a bit concerning though. No doubt he's our best Dman when healthy by a fair margin, but he's only healthy for what seems like 40-50 a games a season lately which isn't ideal by any means.

The Duchene trade will be significant for the Defense either way. We'll get either a good Top 4 Dman to add to the fold, or a young prospect who has the potential to be elite and either way that will be a huge boost. And if we draft another Dman with the 1st round pick we'll likely be getting as well in a Duchene trade that will further stock up on the prospect pool on Defense, which already has some pretty good names in it. Meloche, Bigras, Mironov are all solid prospects.

Perhaps the most exciting thing for the future, is that we dont have any annoying old vets who could potentially fall off the cliff completely that are signed beyond next season. Iggy, Beauch, Mitchell, Tyutin, Comeau, and the Stuart contract all come off the books either this year or next. Those guys will be replaced by the youngsters in the AHL and the ones will be acquiring over the next 7 days and of course in June, and that's pretty exciting to think about.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Only thing positive right now is that Sakic seems to have accepted the fact that the Avs will have to do some rebuilding.

Nothing else really stands out positively.

I am also not as excited about our prospect pool than some other people in here. It is better than it was in a longtime but I won't be too excited about it before they make an impact in the NHL. Hopefully a few of them will get a try out pretty soon. That is positive.

The biggest positive right now is that the season will be over 2 months from now anyways!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
From the beginning of the season up to January 5th Calvin Pickard had a .898sv% in 20 games played
Since January 5th Pickard is rocking a .926sv% through 14 games.

#positivity

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
People are really upset and angry on the board the last couple of days. But on the bright side, this is not that bad compared with how it will be in a couple of months when it is revealed that the Avs will pick 4th overall after the draft lottery.

That's a positive, right?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Whoa, .926 sv% with two softies every night. That's impressive.

cVcYVJ3.gif

I think Picks plays better with a workload. Give him ~35 shots against and he will look good. Give him ~25 and he will look below average.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My bandwagon crush the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the top pairing defender we missed out on shutout Minnesota last night, and didn't even let Minny look dangerous in the last couple minutes.

Very positive start :nod:

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Next season:

Perhaps Tyson Jost as well as our 2017 pick in the line-up. Two players that could help Mackkinon and Landy get back on track next year.

And obviously getting to see a full season from Rantanen is going to be interesting !

Also we'll probably see more of the younglings: Compher, Greer and maybe Meloche (I'd really like to see a bit of him next year !).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Anton Lindholm leads all NHL defenseman (at least 50 minutes TOI) in CF% relative to his team at +12.8

Lindholm has a cf% of 59.8. Next closest Av is Barbario at 50.8 and then EJ at 50.5.

Anton Lindholm deserves this post in the "positivity" thread.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Anton Lindholm leads all NHL defenseman (at least 50 minutes TOI) in CF% relative to his team at +12.8

Lindholm has a cf% of 59.8. Next closest Av is Barbario at 50.8 and then EJ at 50.5.

Anton Lindholm deserves this post in the "positivity" thread.

I like him from the few games I have seen of him. Hes aggressive without being overly aggressive and he can make a tape to tape pass.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I have a soft spot for him and have been pumping his tires for a while now so I do hope he ends up a contributor at the NHL level, still wouldn't bet on it, but the start is promising.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think he's in the mix but will probably have to beat a bunch of guys at camp to really have a shot

Yeah, with Zadorov, Bigras, Barbie and Beauch down the left side under contract next year, it will be tough to break into a spot as anything but a 7/8/injury callup. I know we all pray Beauchemin is gone next year, but I'm not counting on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad