Positives of this season

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Karlsson's recovery; Turris & MacArthur coming out.

Hoffman, Stone, Ceci show they belong
DaCosta & Pageau are potentially there
Lazar, Claesson & Wikstrand are coming along just fine

This is the season to send off Spezza, Neil, Michalek, Phillips & co for good prospects and 2015 picks, bring up the kids into the mix, get the high 1st pick (or two of them) and then roll it all out for 2016 - heading toward the Sesquicentennial playoffs here in Ottawa

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
1. We finally have a legit top 6. We haven't had that in so long, we usually would roll with a top heavy 1st line and a bunch of fillers. Even with Milo having a bad season he can be replaced or maybe re-signed cheap.

Mac/Turris/Ryan
Milo/Spezza/Hemsky

2. Turris/Mac/Ryan in general. Even though Bobby has been slumping I think he can have a bounce back year next year.

3. Forward prospects finally starting to show they belong in the NHL and putting up a few points. At different points Pageau, Stone, Hoffman, Da Costa have all looked like NHL players. Consistency will come over time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When you get down to it the season has a lot of positives: Spezza and Hemsky, Hoffman showing he might be worthy of a spot on an NHL team, Karlsson's recovery, MacArthur being a very solid pickup, Ceci making the jump to the NHL faster than anyone anticipated etc...

What killed us was the defensive play and that's not something you can make up for when the team is one of the youngest ones in the NHL: the really worrying aspect of the defense was that it didn't even really improve all that much during the year

That aspect falls unto the coaching staff I'd argue: their job is to figure what works and what doesn't, work on what works and cut what doesn't. They have failed in that aspect

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ceci - he is going to be goooooooooooood
Hoffman - made me a believer, only because he started to believe in himself first
MacArthur - extension now
Turris - continues to improve
Zibanejad - has all the tools, except the tool belt, but it's coming
Hemsky - chemistry finally with Spezza
Smith - overall has been a positive, scoring goals and playing hard

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Ceci looks like he could be something special.
Lazar looks like he will be a very good player.
Karlsson and Spezza are back.
Turris is getting even better.
MacArthur has been terrific.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
All my positives are in Bingo, or came from Bingo: Ceci, Da Costa, Hoffman, Claesson, Boro, Stone.

Then there's also: Lazar, Dzingel and McCormick, our goalie prospects, Wikstrand.

Hope springs eternal... (tomorrow first day of spring!)

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I like this thread. It makes me want to not yell and flip tables regarding the Senators:)

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Macarthur - Pleasant Surprise
Hoffman - Speed, hopefully not a flash in the pan at this level but if history says anything thats probably the case.
Turris - 1st half of the season.
Karlsson - Recovering from injury

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Definitely MacArthur. He could emerge as one of the leaders int he room to mold the young kids.

Nice work by Lazar in the WJC (yeah, I know, not the NHL team, but impressive nonetheless). Hopefully he can max out his potential and be a solid 2nd liner for us.

Hoffman & Da Costa have looked really good. They have a future in the league.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Chemistry of the Turris/MacArthur/Ryan line. Ethic of Mac, 200 ft game of Turris (and better in the dot), Ryan can finish and sometimes hits.

Spezza is still a boss on the power play. The possibility that Hemsky and Stone and he would make a decent line next season will be nice to think about through the off-season. Hemsky a nice add - legit top 6. Stone looks ready... really this time.

Zibby is an NHLer. We drafted a guy and he's in the league now and will be here as long as he wants to be - that doesn't always happen.

Ceci - see Zibby above.

Hoffman might be ready.

This sounds sarcastic, but we're at least one year closer to that magical year where Cown is the guy we're waiting for (assuming it happens).

Gryba is a nice six/seven.

Methot still looks decent, good fit for EK.

EK looks better, still all world offense.

We'll get to see how Lehner reacts to a down season and adversity without it costing us much.

Bingo is having a great season and some of the prospects still haven't passed their 'best before' dates - so there's still hope there.

Season was inexpensive for ownership... maybe they saved some money for the future?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are a lot of positives, and other contributors have done a nice job of listing them. It's been such an odd season, with the whole being just so much less than the sum of the parts. This is why I hope that the club avoids panic moves in the off-season, as I think with a few tweaks, this team could contend quickly. This has just been one of those seasons where everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. Make some adjustments, lock up some core guys like MacArthur, Ryan and Methot, and start fresh in September.

Oh, and make a condition of Bobby Ryan's new deal a daily summer date with either Tony Greco or Gary Roberts. :) I love Bobby Ryan's skill and potential, and I think an elevated fitness level would make him into an absolute beast...

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Talking about the Sens positives is a new thing that can be stolen? Didn't realize that.

I get that being negative is the norm around these parts, but some of us have stayed fairly positive all year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are a lot of positives, and other contributors have done a nice job of listing them. It's been such an odd season, with the whole being just so much less than the sum of the parts. This is why I hope that the club avoids panic moves in the off-season, as I think with a few tweaks, this team could contend quickly. This has just been one of those seasons where everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. Make some adjustments, lock up some core guys like MacArthur, Ryan and Methot, and start fresh in September.

Oh, and make a condition of Bobby Ryan's new deal a daily summer date with either Tony Greco or Gary Roberts. :) I love Bobby Ryan's skill and potential, and I think an elevated fitness level would make him into an absolute beast...

100% agreed.

You can see looking at the kid that he still has some extra fatty poundage on his frame. Give the kid a nice, long summer in the gym to really focus on getting his body into tip-top shape, and he may just have a career year next season.

I can definitely see some untapped potential in Bobby Ryan, but it's up to him to make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad