Positional Depth charts

What is our top positional need?

• Total voters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I keep seeing people justify wanting one player or another based on team needs and figured it might be fun to map out what we have both in the system and with the big club, and see if perception matches reality. Wingers are bunched together because so many play both sides, and some centers might repeat if they play wing too.

CENTERS
NHL level:
Tierney (26), Anisimov (32), White (23),
Prospects: L.Brown (22), Norris (21), Chlapik (23), Pinto (21) Kastelic (21), Crookshank (20)
Counts: 3 NHL level, 6 prospects.
Eval: No elite level centers at any level, we have a some potential top 6 prospects and Tierney is probably the only suitable top 6 at the NHL level unless White bounces back.

WING
NHL level:
Tkachuk - LW (20), Ryan LW/RW (33), White RW (23), C.Brown LW/RW (26), Duclair LW/RW (25), Anisimov LW (32), Paul LW (25), Balcers LW/RW (23), Hawryluk LW 24)
Prospects: Batherson RW (22), Formenton LW (21), Abramov LW/RW (22), Davidsson RW (23), Chlapik LW (23),
Counts: 8 NHL level guys that can/do play LW, and 5 that can/do play RW. As for prospects, 3 can/do play RW, while 3 can/do play LW.
Eval: Tkachuk is probably the only true top line option at the NHL level, Ryan, Brown and Balcers are probably more middle six guys if things go right. At the prospect level, there are some promising guys like Batherson, Formenton and Abramov who look like top 9 guys or better, but no sure bet for top line guys imo.

* worth noting that 4 of our NHL level wingers are being counted for both LW and RW, and 1 of our prospects, this adds flexibility but may appear as greater depth than in reality.

DEFENCE - Left side
NHL Level:
Chabot (23), Brannstrom (21), Wolanin (25), Reilly (27)
Prospects: Lajoie (22), Alsing (24), Tychonick (20)
Counts: 4 NHL level options at LD, but Brannstrom might be considered more of a prospect, Wolanin too. Reilly is more of a journeyman imo. 3 prospects
Eval: After Chabot, there are a lot of question marks. Potential is there but a lot has yet to be proven.

DEFENCE - Right side
NHL Level:
Zaitsev (28), Brannstrom (21), Zub (24)
Prospects: Bernard-Docker (20), Thomson (19), Jaros (24), Guénette (19)
Counts: 3 NHL level options, and 4 prospects
Eval: Long term the NHL level guys lack upside outside of Brannstrom (who I prefer at right D). There isn't an elite talent in the prospect pool but some good pieces none the less.

GOAL
NHL Level:
Nilsson (30), Hogberg (25)
Prospects: Daccord (24), Sogaard (19), Mandolese (20), Gustavsson (22)
Counts: 2 NHL, 4 prospects
Eval: NHL level looks like journeymen level to me. No sure things in the prospect pool, lots of quality prospects though.

Overall thoughts:

Center is lacking at the top. Hoping this years draft resolves this
LW has 1 clear cut top 6 guy in Tkachuk, no issue going forward with him as our top line LW. Duclair looks like a solid option for 2nd line LW, or an acceptable top 6 RW. We have a bunch of good options for middle six LW in Balcers, Abramov, and Formenton.
RW is a bit thinner with Batherson being one of the only guys that looks like a potential top line option (along with Duclair), but I think both are better suited as a 2nd liners. C.Brown is a great middle 6 option.
LD seems set at the top and that's it. The prospects are a bit further along than on the right side, but otherwise similar outlooks imo.
RD, we have a mid term piece in Zaitsev, and good prospect depth in JBD and Thomson

I don't think outside of Center there really is a spot we are more in need of. Even then, we have enough centers in the system that some will likely end up either playing wing or getting pushed out. It's really just the elusive top line center we lack.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If I had to guess at who would be here and where they'd be slotted in 3 years (no draft picks), I might go with this:

Tkachuk - xxx - Duclair
Balcers - Norris/LBrown - Batherson
Formenton - Norris/LBrown - C.Brown
Paul - Pinto - White

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Thomson
xxx - Zaitsev
Jaros

Hogberg
Daccord

Don't put too much stock into which line which player is on, guys will move up and down based on performance, and some of the more versatile wingers might flip sides, but I guess in my mind, we are missing a LD, and a #1 center. We'll also need to replace Zaitsev shortly after.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If I had to guess at who would be here and where they'd be slotted in 3 years (no draft picks), I might go with this:

Tkachuk - xxx - Duclair
Balcers - Norris/LBrown - Batherson
Formenton - Norris/LBrown - C.Brown
Paul - Pinto - White

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Thomson
xxx - Zaitsev
Jaros

Hogberg
Daccord

Don't put too much stock into which line which player is on, guys will move up and down based on performance, and some of the more versatile wingers might flip sides, but I guess in my mind, we are missing a LD, and a #1 center. We'll also need to replace Zaitsev shortly after.

Pretty close to how I see it. A couple of things that I think will be slightly different:

1. I think Brannstrom is definitely on the team in 3 years.

2. I think either White or Pinto plays as a C in the top 9 (at least icetime wise). I think they'll need a RH center to take fair number of draws and one of these guys will have to play more as a result. It might mean that Norris moves to LW or that Brown either busts or is traded.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty close to how I see it. A couple of things that I think will be slightly different:

1. I think Brannstrom is definitely on the team in 3 years.

2. I think either White or Pinto plays as a C in the top 9 (at least icetime wise). I think they'll need a RH center to take fair number of draws and one of these guys will have to play more as a result. It might mean that Norris moves to LW or that Brown either busts or is traded.
Omg can't believe i forgot to include Brannstrom. Agree with you that he should be there, ideally on the right side imo, but its kind of crowded if JBD and Thomson work out and there is a spot on the left.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
There's no 'All of the above' option? Maybe its just me but i look at some of our roster projections that people suggest will soon be contending and i mostly see meh compared to elite teams we see now. But you never know how they will develop, maybe they do become great.

For so long that strategy of build from the back end out has been impressed upon me so that's why i want a dman with our #5oa pick. We tanked so hard for one of Laf or QB i'd hate to have the same luck hoping for a top D next year. Of course 2 top forwards is also needed. But that old build from the back end out axiom means i want a D and maybe a little more patience than most.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
There's no 'All of the above' option? Maybe its just me but i look at some of our roster projections that people suggest will soon be contending and i mostly see meh compared to elite teams we see now.

Would you count Dallas as one of those elite teams? Heiskanen, Seguin, Lindell, Klingberg and an aging Benn are the ones carrying that team. Other than that, their roster is kind of meh but they're a win away from the final.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Would you count Dallas as one of those elite teams? Heiskanen, Seguin, Lindell, Klingberg and an aging Benn are the ones carrying that team. Other than that, their roster is kind of meh but they're a win away from the final.

I think of Dallas as having a lot of depth and star power. And im probably a biased fan of Victoria's Jamie Benn. But along with Seguin, Pavelski, Radulov, and depth like Hintz, Gurianov, Perry and Cogliano, a really solid d and 2 great goalies, they seem much more than meh to me. Especially for a cap era team.

They are the team i am hoping for in spite of how boring they are. But not sure i see anything equal to that in the Sens near future. But of course the Sens will develop as a much younger team, and they may very well become great. I just need to see it before i would be wanting to sign some ufa's to push us over the top.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think of Dallas as having a lot of depth and star power. And im probably a biased fan of Victoria's Jamie Benn. But along with Seguin, Pavelski, Radulov, and depth like Hintz, Gurianov, Perry and Cogliano, a really solid d and 2 great goalies, they seem much more than meh to me. Especially for a cap era team.

They are the team i am hoping for in spite of how boring they are. But not sure i see anything equal to that in the Sens near future. But of course the Sens will develop as a much younger team, and they may very well become great. I just need to see it before i would be wanting to sign some ufa's to push us over the top.

Depth is much easier to acquire than star power. Benn & Heiskanen now are comparable to Tkachuk and Chabot. Other than Seguin, none of the other forwards are stars these days. Hopefully the Sens get their Seguin at #3.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Depth is much easier to acquire than star power. Benn & Heiskanen now are comparable to Tkachuk and Chabot. Other than Seguin, none of the other forwards are stars these days. Hopefully the Sens get their Seguin at #3.

I hope you're right. Its surely possible.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO #1C is the biggest need
next is D both left and right. We could add/upgrade 3 D spots. We can fill those spots but we need more size more grit with mobility and puck skills. Keepers as of now are Chabot, Wolanin , JBD.. Lets upgrade from there.
I think we need to add a 1st line winger preferably right but a LW top line player that is good enough to push Tkachuk to the 2nd makes us deeper .,
I really want a 4th line like the islanders or Vegas. We should add pieces towards that .. see who succeeds. With our 7 picks (2nd and 3rd) we should be able to get a couple.. Draft 3 of ... Groshev/Pytilik/Coe /Cuylle

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I really like Norris but I think we could push him to LW if we draft a 1C and Brown can hold down 2C. Bath is pass first on the right side and I'd like to see the Sens add Raymond or Holtz to play as a 1RW.

Brady B yfield Raymond
Norris Brown Batherson
Form Pinto Brown

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I really like Norris but I think we could push him to LW if we draft a 1C and Brown can hold down 2C. Bath is pass first on the right side and I'd like to see the Sens add Raymond or Holtz to play as a 1RW.

Brady B yfield Raymond
Norris Brown Batherson
Form Pinto Brown

I'm really hoping for Timmy at #3, but I love that top 9. Also hoping for White to pick things up this coming season.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm really hoping for Timmy at #3, but I love that top 9. Also hoping for White to pick things up this coming season.

Sure - Timmy or Byfield. I feel myself leaning towards Holtz if we had Stutzle and Raymond if we have Byfield...I'm really high on Holtz .. This team needs a pure trigger. I would over pay to get it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure - Timmy or Byfield. I feel myself leaning towards Holtz if we had Stutzle and Raymond if we have Byfield...I'm really high on Holtz .. This team needs a pure trigger. I would over pay to get it.
Then we should target Quinn.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Then we should target Quinn.

I like Holtz more than Quinn... but debated adding his name. IMO Holtz at 5 is a justifiable stretch if they want a shooter but Quinn is too much of a reach. I’d rather them try to move up some how for Quinn (which prob won’t happen).

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa is thin on RW & should add a couple in this draft, if it works out. If not, they should have an opportunity to target Dylan Guenther RW in next yr's draft. Hopefully, in this 2020 draft that Byfield C falls to them, they could also use a couple of defencemen on both sides. I hope they target Sanderson LD & Schneider RD & in the 2nd rd Kleven LD. With all their picks they could fill numerous needs including adding some size on defence. They also need a goalie with the potential to be an NHL all-star.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I voted center but if Brown and Norris took off and became legit top 6 centers (not that big a stretch), and say White also rebounds and settles into a solid top 6/9 center (also not a stretch) - and then we take Byfield/Stutzle and one of Rossi/Perfetti (all very possible scenarios) - then the logjam at C will be a very real thing. People will have to move to the wing for sure if they want to get any good minutes.

That's not a real problem though.. Team Canada seems to manage just fine with loading up a roster full of centers, so we need to do it regardless - if we have highly talented centers complaining about having to play the wing, were doing it right imo.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Tuch (2020) - Byfield (2020) - Guenther (2021)
Formenton - Norris - Pinto
Cuylle (2020) - Peterson (2020) - Pytlik (2020)/Coe (2020)

Chabot - Schneider (2020)
Sanderson (2020) - JBD
Kleven (2020) - Schmidt (2021)

Hogberg - Daccord/Mandolese ??? - need a #1 goalie.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Tuch (2020) - Byfield (2020) - Guenther (2021)
Formenton - Norris - Pinto
Cuylle (2020) - Peterson (2020) - Pytlik (2020)/Coe (2020)

Chabot - Schneider (2020)
Sanderson (2020) - JBD
Kleven (2020) - Schmidt (2021)

Hogberg - Daccord/Mandolese ??? - need a #1 goalie.
I'd put Pinto in for Peterson and use White on RW or add guy like Groshev there.
We need more skill on the top lines imo.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Goalie and RD I'd say. Look at Duclair, Tierney and Brown as thirdliners who will give place to the prospects and even be Krakken bound.

Tkachuk - Brown - (Ryan)
(Anisimov)/Balcers [Raymond] - White - Batherson
Duclair - Tierney - Brown
Paul - - Hawryluk

I would considerto trade down to drafting one of Drysdale or Askarov. If the price is right. Minnesota (no. 9 in draft order) might want Stutzle. Will make GM there look like a genius (Dumba?). You might want Minnesotas firstround pick this year and the next. Not losing any firstround picks. The odds of Drysdale or Askarov becoming better than Stutzle?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad